Jump to content

CZ452 Style .22LR Won't group at all


Recommended Posts

On 05/06/2021 at 18:09, Dave-G said:

If it were mine and I'd got decisively desperate enough to scrap it (not saying you have reached that stage yet) I'd risk a tickle with a 6mm fine tapered file or reamer into the end with some tape over the smaller diameter before scrapping it - and maybe a ball stone too.

You can get brass muzzle crown lapping tools online for a few quid, quick run in a drill with some lapping paste and it might tidy it up a bit. Or you could give it the Larry Potterfield treatment with a round brass screw and lapping compound. Both methods have the inherent risks of making a pigs ear of it though so user beware!

Might be an idea to give the barrel the scrubbing it so desperately needs then pull a bullet and slowly push it up the barrel with a cleaning rod then check for rifling marks and for galling marks caused by a bad crown.

Aside from dropping a rifle or corrosion I would bet the other leading cause of a damaged crown is people being too rough cleaning the barrel, running a rod down from the muzzle or overshooting with the rod and dragging it back hard through the muzzle.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Rob85 said:

You can get brass muzzle crown lapping tools online for a few quid, quick run in a drill with some lapping paste and it might tidy it up a bit. Or you could give it the Larry Potterfield treatment with a round brass screw and lapping compound. Both methods have the inherent risks of making a pigs ear of it though so user beware!

Might be an idea to give the barrel the scrubbing it so desperately needs then pull a bullet and slowly push it up the barrel with a cleaning rod then check for rifling marks and for galling marks caused by a bad crown.

Aside from dropping a rifle or corrosion I would bet the other leading cause of a damaged crown is people being too rough cleaning the barrel, running a rod down from the muzzle or overshooting with the rod and dragging it back hard through the muzzle.

googled - thanks 

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Rob85 said:

If my missus didn't have the financial eyes of a hawk I would own all manner of seldom used tools 🤣

I'm lucky my other half tells me to do what I effinwell like 'cos I will anyway. :-) I dn't need one of those though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rob85 said:

You can get brass muzzle crown lapping tools online for a few quid, quick run in a drill with some lapping paste and it might tidy it up a bit. Or you could give it the Larry Potterfield treatment with a round brass screw and lapping compound. Both methods have the inherent risks of making a pigs ear of it though so user beware!

Might be an idea to give the barrel the scrubbing it so desperately needs then pull a bullet and slowly push it up the barrel with a cleaning rod then check for rifling marks and for galling marks caused by a bad crown.

Aside from dropping a rifle or corrosion I would bet the other leading cause of a damaged crown is people being too rough cleaning the barrel, running a rod down from the muzzle or overshooting with the rod and dragging it back hard through the muzzle.

I think this is about it.  Invest in a re crowning tool as above and then check the zero/group without the silencer because it maybe the threading was as badly done as the crowning or whoever threaded it boogered up the crown in the process. I have never known a 22RF get shot out and have a friend who has just purchased an old Brno and I mean old and that is a tack driver having had many hundreds of rounds through it.  The Hawk scope is a good choice and very doubtful that is the problem.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/06/2021 at 18:09, Dave-G said:

If it were mine and I'd got decisively desperate enough to scrap it (not saying you have reached that stage yet) I'd risk a tickle with a 6mm fine tapered file or reamer into the end with some tape over the smaller diameter before scrapping it - and maybe a ball stone too.

Hi everyone, thanks for all your responses.
 

So after reading your comments, I've done the following:

1) Check the fit of the barrel The note catches quite some way in front of the forward mounting point.. Youtube video here 

 

 

 

 

 

2) Remove action from the stock. There's clearly some rubbing happening here (see photos).

3) Clean the crown with some bore cleaner and tissue. I think the photos are making it look worse than it actually is (a couple more photos included).

4) Had a great phone call with @Saltings he's described how to temporarily bed the rifle to float the barrel. Unfortunately as I completed this, the heavens opened and I haven't got to try it out yet.

5) Re-mounted the Hawke skope for testing.

Todo

Give the barrel a damn good clean.

Test fire - with and without moderator. Not too worried about the neighbours for a 3 shot string :)

Go to the local gun shop and pick up some eley subs

Will keep you updated.

Untitled.jpg

PXL_20210606_091409132.jpg

PXL_20210606_091426902.jpg

PXL_20210606_173501113.jpg

PXL_20210606_173515479.jpg

PXL_20210606_173642939.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem with the barrel catching could be a dodgy fiver , send me it and ill check it out 😂👍 , i would also try some rws subs as there have been a few issues with eley accuracy of late

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, telf said:

The problem with the barrel catching could be a dodgy fiver , send me it and ill check it out 😂👍 , i would also try some rws subs as there have been a few issues with eley accuracy of late

:D I'm glad I didn't use a tenner, could have got expensive if I need to send them for testing.

I'll try and hunt some RWS down too!

Cheers,

Harv

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...