How much damage has been done to Russia

mel b3

1 hour ago, Rewulf said:

Best tell Europe that too then , as they are still pumping Russian gas in.
And maybe India doesnt want to get involved in a conflict that it considers none of its business ?

Its an interesting facet of this whole thing , that Ukraine stopped buying gas from Russia back in 2015, although they have some themselves, they instead top up from the EUs gas reserves, but where does the EU get these reserves ? Russia.

Russian gas and oil  travels through Ukraine in pipes, and it would be a major economic blow to Russia if something were to happen to those pipes.....

Yet nothing so far has come near them.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60638255

I'm not defending Europe but the India gig is incremental which is why I labelled it opportunistic. They may not want to get involved, may want to be neutral but it can be argued if that really mattered to them they wouldn't now be buying those 5 million barrels of oil.

On the topic of duplicity, did you see the story with the headlines about the EU circumventing the Arms sanctions on Russia - France & Germany both €100M plus deals, Italy ~$20M. The last line of the piece also pointed out that the UK did it too, albeit at a much smaller scale. 

20 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

On the topic of duplicity, did you see the story with the headlines about the EU circumventing the Arms sanctions on Russia - France & Germany both €100M plus deals, Italy ~$20M. The last line of the piece also pointed out that the UK did it too, albeit at a much smaller scale. 

I didnt no , Ill have a look for it , but nothing would surprise me .

All the western governments hand wringing is purely for show, another couple of years and theyll all be back dealing freely, while they all plan on the next 'adventure'.
It always seems to me {dons foil hat} we go from conflict to conflict, they finished in the middle east for a while, had a bit of a pandemic , now the drums are rattling in Eastern Europe, looking for the next payday.
Keep your eye on Africa for the next one, they havent had a 'freedom' visit for a while.

On 17/03/2022 at 16:41, Dave-G said:

I think they'll still have Chinese and other buyers for their gas, oil and wheat etc so they'll get by but I also think the military capability has lost a lot of cred and won't be seen as such a formidable foe in future.

Other than the nuclear issue.

A change of regime will quickly sort things but that has to happen and fast.

1 hour ago, Rewulf said:

Best tell Europe that too then , as they are still pumping Russian gas in.
And maybe India doesnt want to get involved in a conflict that it considers none of its business ?

I don't doubt it, while we were quick to condemn Putin and start the sanctions,  I'm sure it won't take long before we are buying from them again,  or via another party to go around the sanctions.

As for India remaining neutral,  if your buying from Russia then your providing them with revenue which means you've chosen a side.

If it is 5 million barrels how much is that likely to be??

3 minutes ago, Mice! said:

If it is 5 million barrels how much is that likely to be??

Very roughly (because Russian crude is less than Brent, and I assume there will be a good discount on offer) $100 or so a barrel, so $500 million.

Edited by JohnfromUK

6 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Very roughly (because Russian crude is less than Brent, and I assume there will be a good discount on offer) $100 or so a barrel, so $500 million.

Screenshot_20220318-172231_Google.jpg.bb2e800ebc6d8962daa31504dcec5da2.jpg

A very quick search shows this, the Gov should stop any funds immediately and use it to help house the Ukrainians coming over or buying supplies .

They obviously need the oil, but why should we fund them if they have £500 million to spend ( I realise it'll be paid over time(

1 minute ago, Mice! said:

but why should we fund them if they have £500 million to spend

It is 'off topic' for here, but it's a good question - because India - and many other countries with high levels of 'poverty' are not short of money for things their Governments favour .......

45 minutes ago, Mice! said:

while we were quick to condemn Putin and start the sanctions,  I'm sure it won't take long before we are buying from them again,  or via another party to go around the sanctions.

how right you are the likes of China will sell boyo anything he needs but we won’t be buying jack from him pouring fuel on the fire comes with payback and boyo is a  revenge merchant 

I’m amazed at how many underground bunkers there are in Ukraine. In the 60’s we had our Regional Control Centres, with bunkers but nothing for the general population. We were expecting the Soviets to attack but pretty much understood it would be nuclear. Interesting how the Ukrainians have been able to use their old soviet shelters.

23 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, watching the news of Putin's speech today the Russians do not seem to waiver on their fake news TV

Hello, I also heard the meeting was orchestrated by the Putin regime just for the West see the Russian people still looking up to Putin as a hero, I am pleased to hear Bidon say, he's a war criminal 👍