Large Hadron Collider..(Pah!)

ditchman

now ...im your average thicko....and i am staggered at the ammont of money that has been thrown at this machine........TO WHAT eh !...does it make better ice cream ..NO...does it reduce my heating bill NO....

it has as far as i can see been of zero benifit to the planet or humanity....it is more similar to a money laundering operation....keeps several thousand chosen nerds well paid

what am i going to do with the boson - hicks particle eh !...........and they are all getting stiffies that they have for dark matter is all over the cosmos

what an utter waste of money and total testicles

QUESTION

"What has the large hadron collider ever done for us ".............

14 minutes ago, ditchman said:

now ...im your average thicko....and i am staggered at the ammont of money that has been thrown at this machine........TO WHAT eh !...does it make better ice cream ..NO...does it reduce my heating bill NO....

it has as far as i can see been of zero benifit to the planet or humanity....it is more similar to a money laundering operation....keeps several thousand chosen nerds well paid

what am i going to do with the boson - hicks particle eh !...........and they are all getting stiffies that they have for dark matter is all over the cosmos

what an utter waste of money and total particles

QUESTION

"What has the large hadron collider ever done for us ".............

Its contribution to each and everyone of us is incalculable. My future Son in Law regularly goes to the much smaller Diamond Light Source (Harwell near Oxford) where they use the electron microscopy  to examine the surface of substances used in medicine. 

If ever you get the chance book in for a tour it really is inspiring. You can ask all sorts of dumb questions, like I did, of amazing mega brain types who run the tours. Its free. 

6 minutes ago, oowee said:

Its contribution to each and everyone of us is incalculable. My future Son in Law regularly goes to the much smaller Diamond Light Source (Harwell near Oxford) where they use the electron microscopy  to examine the surface of substances used in medicine. 

If ever you get the chance book in for a tour it really is inspiring. You can ask all sorts of dumb questions, like I did, of amazing mega brain types who run the tours. Its free. 

the DLS is of emmense benifit..................what benifit is the LHC...

conversation goes as such....................

"oooohhh woppdy doooo....we'have just done a spin on the LHC and we have found a new element.....it is in the metal area and 20,000 times stronger than tungstan...."

(investeor)..........."thats fantastic....we can make concrete mixers that dont wear out...engines than dont need oil...and great space ships to mars........."

(Nerd)..........."just one problem tho' that we are working on.......the metal particle is only in excistance for 10,000 x to the power of -9 nano seconds...and then it disappears..."

DDoooooooooooo

23 minutes ago, old'un said:

Can it make lead free cartridges cheaply?

now you are being silly:lol:

it would be too easy for the govt to tax

1 minute ago, ditchman said:

now you are being silly:lol:

we could use Uranium....proberly cheaper than lead..........i belive that lead is actually totally depleted inert uranium..in its final state bar one

The search for knowledge is relentless. Its part of the human condition "to boldly go where no man has been" or whatever?

plus, as you say it keeps a few hundred over qualified nerds off the dole and (topically at the moment) keeps the Russians and the Chinese wondering what we are really up to and what we have discovered

25 minutes ago, ditchman said:

now you are being silly

we could use Uranium....proberly cheaper than lead..........i belive that lead is actually totally depleted inert uranium..in its final state bar one

that's a pity as it can accelerate protons close to the speed of light, now that would be some cartridge, mind you it would more than likely vaporise you and your gun. :)

Did you know that in 2012 they discovered Higgs boson, who the hell he is I have no idea

18 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

The search for knowledge is relentless. Its part of the human condition "to boldly go where no man has been" or whatever?

plus, as you say it keeps a few hundred over qualified nerds off the dole and (topically at the moment) keeps the Russians and the Chinese wondering what we are really up to and what we have discovered

when I was still wet behind the ears the older lads used to say that about a local girl.

17 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

I am in Essex tonight boldly going into Chelmsford tonight. Its a different world down here. 

2 hours ago, oowee said:

Hello, quite near me and often thought to go a see, the engineering work is amazing 

I am no mega brain - but it’s trying to work out the bits of the paticle that they don’t understand yet - dark mater  ! This  is also the ever expanding stuff in most of the universe ! after the Big Bang. so if the mega brains can work out how it works can it be used to create energy and if this is why the universe is still able to grow after the Big Bang 

at the moment it’s all about proving theory that we then have to build something else to prove that this is wrong. 

Agriv8 

1 hour ago, Agriv8 said:

I am no mega brain - but it’s trying to work out the bits of the paticle that they don’t understand yet - dark mater  ! This  is also the ever expanding stuff in most of the universe ! after the Big Bang. so if the mega brains can work out how it works can it be used to create energy and if this is why the universe is still able to grow after the Big Bang 

at the moment it’s all about proving theory that we then have to build something else to prove that this is wrong. 

Agriv8 

sounds like a govt' template..for effective government

I believe th LHC was developed to try and prove/disprove the currently accepted standard model of particle physics by creating all the different particles in the collider, measuring them and then essentially seeing how it fits with their predictions. Also it's used to probe the very high energy density conditions which were present just after the big bang and answer the fundamental question about how we came to be. This is my understanding of it, I could be a bit wrong, to be honest I don't think what they are doing at the LHC to do with particle physics is very useful. The work done at the diamond light source to use neutron, x-ray and electron scattering to probe the magnetic and atomic structure of materials is much more interesting as its essential in the development of new and improved material for various applications. 

6 minutes ago, LV98 said:

I believe th LHC was developed to try and prove/disprove the currently accepted standard model of particle physics by creating all the different particles in the collider, measuring them and then essentially seeing how it fits with their predictions. Also it's used to probe the very high energy density conditions which were present just after the big bang and answer the fundamental question about how we came to be. This is my understanding of it, I could be a bit wrong, to be honest I don't think what they are doing at the LHC to do with particle physics is very useful. The work done at the diamond light source to use neutron, x-ray and electron scattering to probe the magnetic and atomic structure of materials is much more interesting as its essential in the development of new and improved material for various applications. 

my thoughts as well.............money could have been put into something far more useful in the science engineering sector for the benifit of man/humanity