McDonald's

Wymondley

3 adult meals and 3 children’s meals and drinks (mainly water) came to under £35 at Tebay

Last time I had a breakfast at Teebay (north bound - on my way to Glasgow) it cost around £12 and that has to be ten years ago. Like the Services, but their prices are way too high.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, ditchman said:

i must admit pizzas are for me a waste of time and tastless...i really dont class them as food

or as my ole grandad used to say .."foreighn muck"

It scarcely matters which restaurant you visit these days. Wherever you go at least 70% of the menu is “foreign”. 

I've no issue eating at a McDonalds, or any other fast food establishment really.. Paying for it is another issue, I'd rather cook at home or pick up a sandwich meal deal from the supermarket than pay £10+ for a single meal. 

I'll quite happily eat a donner kebab without first having had a skin full and I've even been known to eat a sandwich with maggots in it before now (Lunch and bait box in the same bag, it was inevitable) so McDonalds is no issue. 

Only thing I do shy away from is cheap chinese takeway, the kind that get delivered to the shop once a fortnight from a lorry with Kwan Yick written on the side. Absolute garbage food that isn't worth the paper its wrapped in. 

On 21/08/2022 at 09:10, udderlyoffroad said:

also don’t get the fascination people have with T’ebay services. Still overpriced rubbish, just in a slightly nicer setting.

Probably because there a really nice services, when you know they'll be clean and there's a good food choice you'll happily stop.

Think we used to stop at Abingdon services going up and down to Scotland because it was always nice.

By chance we stopped at Leeds Skelton lake services on the M1 heading across to Yorkshire,  brand new and really nice, nice play area and seating round the back, proper big parking spaces to fit the car and caravan, so headed there coming home to break up the journey.

10 minutes ago, Poor Shot said:

I've no issue eating at a McDonalds, or any other fast food establishment really.. Paying for it is another issue, I'd rather cook at home or pick up a sandwich meal deal from the supermarket than pay £10+ for a single meal. 

I'll quite happily eat a donner kebab without first having had a skin full and I've even been known to eat a sandwich with maggots in it before now (Lunch and bait box in the same bag, it was inevitable) so McDonalds is no issue. 

Only thing I do shy away from is cheap chinese takeway, the kind that get delivered to the shop once a fortnight from a lorry with Kwan Yick written on the side. Absolute garbage food that isn't worth the paper its wrapped in. 

Yes I stopped eating Chinese takeaway after talking to my mate's Chinese Wife.

How do you think you can order a whole meal for six people from a shop ten minutes down the road and they are knocking on your door within half an hour?

Any one of those dishes would take an hour or more to cook. So something doesn't add up?? 🤔 

2 hours ago, London Best said:

You can keep your pizzas!

Disgusting, inedible Dago food.

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

i must admit pizzas are for me a waste of time and tastless...i really dont class them as food

or as my ole grandad used to say .."foreighn muck"

All depends where you go, the pizza we had years ago in Italy was on another level, but we bought a slice, ate hot and crisp delightful. 

4 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

Yes I stopped eating Chinese takeaway after talking to my mate's Chinese Wife.

How do you think you can order a whole meal for six people from a shop ten minutes down the road and they are knocking on your door within half an hour?

Any one of those dishes would take an hour or more to cook. So something doesn't add up?? 🤔 

The likely prepared in a factory then frozen, cooked and delivered in 10 minutes.

The curry or noodle dishes are likely oven warmed in the very same foil tray they were delivered from the supplier in. Then delivered to you passed off as a freshly prepared dish.

Anything fried is likely dumped into the frier staright from the freezer.

20 minutes ago, Mice! said:

All depends where you go, the pizza we had years ago in Italy was on another level, but we bought a slice, ate hot and crisp delightful. 

All fine if you like that cheesy snot Mozarella cheese and that revolting Oregano stuff. I detest both. In fact, I can’t think of any Italian food I do like.

1 hour ago, Poor Shot said:

The likely prepared in a factory then frozen, cooked and delivered in 10 minutes.

The curry or noodle dishes are likely oven warmed in the very same foil tray they were delivered from the supplier in. Then delivered to you passed off as a freshly prepared dish.

Anything fried is likely dumped into the frier staright from the freezer.

used to go regular to a big   chinese resturaunt in nottingham.......you paid £15 quid and helped yourself ....the whole kitchen was behind a glass wall...so you could see everything being cooked...it was spotless

always OD'ed on prawns and sticky chicken..........

12 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

There’s little point in eating Italian food anywhere other than Italy. The quality and freshness of the produce means that a very simple dish can be outstanding … but no good when tried anywhere else.

I knock out a few.. 😀.. we make proper "bigga"  dough, grow our own san marzano tomatoes and basil, topped with locally made salami. Wish i could get buffalo mozzarella in quantity though.

2063411617_pizainoven.jpg.c5367c5e752d1e7380f3b65da8139393.jpg

Edited by islandgun

28 minutes ago, islandgun said:

I knock out a few.. 😀.. we make proper "bigga"  dough, grow our own san marzano tomatoes and basil, topped with locally made salami. Wish i could get buffalo mozzarella in quantity though.

2063411617_pizainoven.jpg.c5367c5e752d1e7380f3b65da8139393.jpg

Looks great! I do like a good pizza oven! Cousin made one and during his 60th birthday party we made some cracking pizza! 

43 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

There’s little point in eating Italian food anywhere other than Italy. The quality and freshness of the produce means that a very simple dish can be outstanding … but no good when tried anywhere else.

I can’t agree with that really; proper UK  based Italian restaurants make use of produce equal in quality and freshness. Fresh is fresh whichever country you’re in. 

18 minutes ago, Scully said:

Looks great! I do like a good pizza oven! Cousin made one and during his 60th birthday party we made some cracking pizza! 

I can’t agree with that really; proper UK  based Italian restaurants make use of produce equal in quality and freshness. Fresh is fresh whichever country you’re in. 

Cheers, Im the first to admit that my pizzas don't compare with the proper Italian ones, but the oven is great to use. theres something fundamental about cooking stuff using wood as fuel in an oven that was being used in roman times, I also do bread and leave stews in overnight as it cools

1567369135_loavessunday.jpg.5b97dd5315f871968336b42a57a3b54a.jpg

6 hours ago, Mice! said:

Probably because there a really nice services, when you know they'll be clean and there's a good food choice you'll happily stop.

Maybe it’s just me, but I’ve never seen motorway services as anything other than a comfort break, and certainly not a destination.  They’re invariably awful.  Tebay just has nice scenery.

6 hours ago, Mice! said:

nice play area and seating round the back, proper big parking spaces to fit the car and caravan, so headed there coming home to break up the journey.

And it starts to make sense.  If you’re lugging a Tupperware trailer around at 60 mph, I guess motorway services must be a welcome respite from the buffeting and snaking. 😂

1 hour ago, Smokersmith said:

There’s little point in eating Italian food anywhere other than Italy

Nonsense - The trick is to eat where the local Italian expat population eats.  Went to a place in Bristol I doubt I would’ve otherwise heard about, for an Italian colleague’s birthday. Food was excellent, went back repeatedly.  Missus at the time had studied in Rome so was fluent-if-rusty, always received amazing welcome.  Sadly the place did not survive the lockdown lunacy.

7 minutes ago, London Best said:

Doesn’t matter how fresh it is if you can’t stand the taste of the stuff!

True, but that applies equally to food on any continent. 🙂

I will try anything food wise, and fortunately so will my kids. We have eaten food all over europe, and while everyone naturally has their likes and dislikes, it is those who won’t even try, who I think are missing out on some fabulous flavours. My kids love ‘foreign’ food. 🙂
Best pizzas ( except for a smoked oyster pizza cooked by a couple from Canada, in my home town ) I’ve had was the former Yugoslavia, so much better than any I’ve had in Italy, and I’ve had a few. 

21 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Nonsense - The trick is to eat where the local Italian expat population eats.  Went to a place in Bristol I doubt I would’ve otherwise heard about, for an Italian colleague’s birthday. Food was excellent, went back repeatedly.  Missus at the time had studied in Rome so was fluent-if-rusty, always received amazing welcome.  Sadly the place did not survive the lockdown lunacy.

Absolutely! The kids and me got off a late tube in Hounslow on a trip to London some years ago. On our way to the hotel we passed an Indian restaurant where we could see the chefs busy cooking through the window. We went in and were the only three white faces in there. The food was wonderful! Been back a couple of times since. 

2 hours ago, islandgun said:

Cheers, Im the first to admit that my pizzas don't compare with the proper Italian ones, but the oven is great to use. theres something fundamental about cooking stuff using wood as fuel in an oven that was being used in roman times, I also do bread and leave stews in overnight as it cools

1567369135_loavessunday.jpg.5b97dd5315f871968336b42a57a3b54a.jpg

I want to come for tea, or dinner or just food 😋

2 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

And it starts to make sense.  If you’re lugging a Tupperware trailer around at 60 mph, I guess motorway services must be a welcome respite from the buffeting and snaking

Certainly does, 3-4hr journey and I want a break, knowing there is a really nice services gives you a target,  we stopped for about an hour on our way home, on my own I'd likely have been in and out with a brew, but that break was needed before the madness that is the M62

2 hours ago, Scully said:

will try anything food wise, and fortunately so will my kids

Me as well, kids aren't too bad considering their age 😁

2 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Agree .. was trying to help the uninitiated!!

Just had a Burrata and Carpaccio in a great restaurant in the Netherlands.

3 hours ago, Scully said:

To some extent, yes. Lemons etc will never be as good though due to climate.

I stick to things that do travel well .. such as a dried porcini risotto.

Glad I’ve initiated a turn of the tide on the ‘foreign muck’ thing 👍

9 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

Glad I’ve initiated a turn of the tide on the ‘foreign muck’ thing 👍

Indeed. No such thing as ‘foreign muck’. 👍

7 hours ago, ditchman said:

used to go regular to a big   chinese resturaunt in nottingham.......you paid £15 quid and helped yourself ....the whole kitchen was behind a glass wall...so you could see everything being cooked...it was spotless

always OD'ed on prawns and sticky chicken..........

😋😋There is a similar one in Carlisle. My kids loved it as much as I did. Haven’t been since they fled the nest. 😕

Had my first McDonald's at the age of 14 on a weekend away in Dublin, as there was none locally. Hadn't another until 20yrs later on a lads holiday in the canary Islands. Was not a fan of the ''Big Mac'' wasn't a fan of gherkins or the sauce. Despite branches becoming more localised and within reach, I never ventured in their doors until I had kids of my own. I try and promote healthy eating and homecooked dinners, but what child doesn't like a ''Mike'y D's'' now and again. My girl loves their chicken nuggets and my boy gets plain burgers with red sauce.

I'd be a bit of a food snob and was reluctant to be seen in a McDonald's at a time. But over the years that has all changed. With the Children's sports and classes ect..in the evenings at different times and with not many free weekday evenings we use McDonald's on a regular basis if its too late to cook.  I often go in but only get a coffee until the kids eat and then grab something from somewhere else after.  Still not a fan of their burgers unless the ''Big Tasty'' is on, and that is with cheese and without the big tasty sauce, and I put barbecue sauce on instead. The little chicken wraps aren't bad either, but wouldn't fill a hole in your back tooth. I ordered their plant burger one evening as I was watching my weight, and guess what? It wasn't too bad at all..you wouldn't lick your lips thinking about it, but it was edible.

PS Regarding Italian food, Pizzerias and Chinese takeaways..Then we have outstanding establishments locally. The Chinese is renowned for its quality and cleanliness and the Neopolitan Pizzeria and bakery is some of the best pizza's and bread you are likely to taste anywhere. Expensive but unreal for taste. I'm into white pizza's these days as I've a tomato allergy.

Edited by SuperGoose75