Getting a working dog and working full time

marcus94

Been thinking a lot lately about getting a pup to train but unsure with working full time.
What do people do with there dogs when at work all day? I have a Partner that’s self employed and her salon isn’t far so she could pop in and check on the dog but I feel is that enough. 

I’ve had working dogs all my life when living with my parents but my dad was lucky enough to take his dogs to work with him everyday or my mum was at home full time then as well. 

Christ if no one that worked had a dog then most the country wouldn't have one. Ideally you need it in a run during the day. Just lots to plan for depending if you have neighbours etc and the type of dog you get. You have to consider noise. If you lob a new pup in a run and leave for 8 hours there may be a fair racket so maybe take a week off so you can be around to monitor things at least. You could crate the dog in the house but a full working day would be too long to crate a dog. Perfectly doable as long as you can commit time in evenings and early morning. They soon get into routines as you know

Edited by captainhastings

Try to get a pup that is a little older, say 3-4 months old, timing, when to get a pup? basic training can be done in the house and garden during the winter months, in seven months the dog will be about 10-11 months old and we will be hitting spring, so you will have more daylight hours for training outdoors, with a little thought its possible to have a pup, train it and enjoy it even if you are working full time.

As London Best said kennel the dog, inside or out, if you are worried about no one being there during the day you could setup one of those Wi-Fi cameras to keep an eye on the pup, if it looks in distress you could ask your partner to pop home, like I said, if you really want a dog you will work around any problems.

I wouldn’t say it’s a complete non-starter buy it’s harder work. 

If you can put in kennels with drains so the dog can toilet if required etc and you can clean it down easily then that’s a big bonus. 

Personally though I would look into an older dog that’s used to being kennel and doesn’t mind being alone. 

Wouldn’t want to put an 8 week old pup in a kennel and leave it all day, either want someone around a bit or another dog. 

Since my first dog over 40 years ago I have always worked. The answer is simply kennels as described by Lloyd. As I now work from home it’s a lot easier and the pup starts life in the house and is crate trained. If wife can pop home at lunch it’s easier but it is still hard work. It does depend if you are prepared to make the sacrifice. Certainly buying an older pup, say 6-9 months, that has been kennelled will make life a little easier. Alternatively a dog walker who will pop in but at a price. My daughter has her own dog walking business and has done this for a number of her clients at the start.

Just to add at the start just acclimatising the pup to you and it’s environment is enough. It takes time to settle them in and working is not a problem. Early on pups spend most of their time sleeping anyway so a little time with you is really all they need.

Good Luck

Edited by Dave at kelton

No issue at all to have a working dog and work, they are not your fur baby. It frustrates me that so many people are incapable of preparing their animals to be a successful part of society. Bring your dog up to the expect to be apart from you and be happy without being a brat. Start little and often, vary the setting, lengthen the time. For the initial training period think about kennel, portable kennel (car), your parents. Break up the day as much as possible, pop home at lunch. When you are at home the dog should be kennelled yo rest and then brought out. Little pups need plenty of rest. 

Personally I’d get a decent pick up with cage back and shelter arc. I had my Range Rover L322 fabricated for the job but in the end the car smelt like a kennel! If circumstances allow take it to work a couple of days a week and at lunch take the pup for a walk (assuming you’re not on the rigs).  Good for both of you. Feral pigeons are great for steadiness and you’ll enjoy the time together. 

On 06/09/2022 at 07:48, WalkedUp said:

No issue at all to have a working dog and work, they are not your fur baby. It frustrates me that so many people are incapable of preparing their animals to be a successful part of society. Bring your dog up to the expect to be apart from you and be happy without being a brat. Start little and often, vary the setting, lengthen the time. For the initial training period think about kennel, portable kennel (car), your parents. Break up the day as much as possible, pop home at lunch. When you are at home the dog should be kennelled yo rest and then brought out. Little pups need plenty of rest. 

Personally I’d get a decent pick up with cage back and shelter arc. I had my Range Rover L322 fabricated for the job but in the end the car smelt like a kennel! If circumstances allow take it to work a couple of days a week and at lunch take the pup for a walk (assuming you’re not on the rigs).  Good for both of you. Feral pigeons are great for steadiness and you’ll enjoy the time together. 

I don't really follow your view of having your dog with you as if it's a bad thing. But then, I struggle with alot of your ramblings in this section tbh.

Being a "fur baby" has nothing to do with it. 

On 11/09/2022 at 09:59, yates said:

You should not be leaving a dog longer than four hours.

What do people do when they go to bed overnight? Do you get up every 4 hours to check the dog hasn't spontaniously combusted? 

A dog will be fine left, AS LONG AS, it has sufficient time outside of its quarters', has enough human contact, and is able to relieve itself should the need arise.

As I said, a proper kennel, with the ability for the dog to toilet if needed removes the worry about the dog needing to be let out to toilet from the house.

As long as the dog then has sufficient exercise and contact in the morning before the owner leaves, and then the same when the owner returns, what is the issue? 

As suggested also, looking for an older dog that is already used to being kennelled would be a lot easier than getting a pup into this routine. 

I have worked from home a lot over the last 2 years, even when I am at home the dogs are usually sleeping anyway, and my young one often disappears, and I have to go looking for him, only to find he has gone into the kennel and is snoring away in his bed box, the kennel doors wide open and he is free to come out but he chooses to go in there and chill out in the shade and cool. 

He soon appears if he thinks there's anything worthwhile going on :D 

Hi Lloyd, you make some good points. A lot of people do not follow your example. Dogs are left home alone for several hours whilst they go to work. No kennel or outdoor space as the dogs live inside 24/7.

My three labs live inside but are never left alone for more than four hours, this was the recommendation of my(hunting friendly Vet), and dog trainer. At night my dogs sleep in their baskets in our bedroom therefore sufficient human contact. A wet nose in your face at three in the morning let’s you know if the dog needs to go outside.

An example of some peoples lack of knowledge. A couple of months ago one of my staff asked me for advice as she knew I had dogs. She and her partner had just purchased a dog and could not understand why it was destroying their furniture whilst they were at work. She worked 12 hour shifts and her partner did the same. Both would be at work at the same time, the poor dog was left alone for three to four days a week. 

OK we were in this position when we got a dog, and he was kennelled during the day, lived in the house the rest of the time. When we were heading off to work in the morning  he would be waiting in the kennel for his bone and would be fine during the day, very rarely did he mess his kennel. We did work up to this as we first got the dog during school holidays (my wife is a teacher) so his time alone started 1 hours, then 2 etc. Circumstances change the dog is now 5 years old, and we are able to leave him in the house for 6 hours with no issue, however this is the exception as my since Covid i am home most days. If we know we are going to be out for more than 6 hours my Dad lets the dog out for a short walk, my Dad and our Dog are great pals. Hope this helps.