Leightweight shotguns

Bobba

Maybe an odd question to some, so no brick throwing please.

I took a friend interested in taking up shooting to a local clay ground and he used my Beretta Silver Pigeon sporter adjustable with 30” barrels. He found it rather heavy (3.5 kgs: 7.8 lbs) and asked if there were lighter shotguns around. Insufficient knowledge, I couldn’t answer his question. Curiosity got the better of me. I have had a quick search for 12 bores at around 6.5 - 7 lbs but those I’ve seen have 28” barrels. Are there any lightweight guns with 30” barrels out there? Is so, then advice on Manufacture and model No would be welcomed which I can then pass on.
Thank you.

Hello, you need at least a 7llb shotgun if you doing a 100 Sporter and clay shooting will be your main sport, even using 28 g cartridges, back in the days of side by sides Eley impax were many go to cartridge for a 6llb shot gun, Eley grand Prix for a 6.5 LLB shotgun, a 30 inch barrel O/U light  Sporter , I think your need to do some research on makes like ATA and Yildiz for a lighter sporting shotgun, you may find it will have an lighter frame than the all steel Beretta 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

I think that the sport to a part, dictates the bulk of the gun which dictates the weight. That is to say that a gun for clay shooting will usually be bulkier than a gun for, say, walking up game. A O/U's ventilated rib also adds weight more than no rib or a "solid" rib (which isn't actually solid of course).

The difference being that the clay gun may fire one hundred cartridges in but a morning whilst the walking up game gun may not even fire that in a whole four or five months of the game season.

Yes lightweight O/U guns are available....they tend once to be French where they did a lot of walking up shooting and didn't have so much of the prejudice against O/U guns for game as in the UK. See what LONDON BEST said re Chapuis and Verney Carron.

But whether your friend will feel the same after shooting one hundred cartridges through that same gun in a morning remains to be see. And felt on the shoulder for no matter that the gun fits and fits well the recoil is still going into you. And a badly fitting lightweight gun will be literally blue (check the shoulder pit afterwards) murder!

Edited by enfieldspares

1 hour ago, Bobba said:

He found it rather heavy (3.5 kgs: 7.8 lbs) and asked if there were lighter shotguns around. Insufficient knowledge, I couldn’t answer his question. 

Not a brick. But the other solution might be to ignore 12 bore and go directly to 20 bore? As being smaller diameter the barrels will be lighter and IF THE GUN IS BUILT ON A TRUE 20 BORE ACTION that will be lighter also even in O/U format. I hope that might solve the problem...for sure there will be many 20 bore O/U your friend can try.

19 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

There are guns around at, or less than 7lb but… as has been said it is a matter of recoil. You can drop to a lighter cartridge for clays. A pal of mine bought a Beretta ultralight with 28” barrels but it knocked him about so much he soon sold it.

1 hour ago, Bobba said:

I took a friend interested in taking up shooting to a local clay ground and he used my Beretta Silver Pigeon sporter adjustable with 30” barrels. He found it rather heavy (3.5 kgs: 7.8 lbs) and asked if there were lighter shotguns around. Insufficient knowledge, I couldn’t answer his question. Curiosity got the better of me. I have had a quick search for 12 bores at around 6.5 - 7 lbs but those I’ve seen have 28” barrels. Are there any lightweight guns with 30” barrels out there? Is so, then advice on Manufacture and model No would be welcomed which I can then pass on.
Thank you.

The other option is more practice to build up muscle along with muscle memory.

Unless your friend is particularly slight (i.e. equivalent to a 4ft11inch 100lb female), it is likely the lack of appropriate individual muscle strength in the right areas, rather than the gun being too heavy in itself.

The advantage of a light gun are carrying it about all day, when weight does matter, in the clay ground going in and out of slip, weight is of less importantance

Edited by Stonepark

Not a clay shooter myself but the few I know who clay shoot use 24g 12g, is this the go-to cartridge for clay shooters?

I would suggest you let your friend try a round of clays using a 20g shotgun and some 28g cartridges and see how he feels about the recoil, if he can handle that, he should be fine with a 6.5lb-7lb 12g and some 24g cartridges.

2 hours ago, Bobba said:

Thank you.

This really is a job for a Shooting Ground that sells guns.

At least that way your friend can try a few.

2 hours ago, Bobba said:

Thank you.

Personally I think you are starting him off with the wrong gun . A basic 28" fixed choke and stock ,until he can mount consistantly ,which will require practice both on and off a shooting ground as well as exercises to build and accustom the muscles needed .Then tuition and practice on simple birds to build confidence . All guns will seem heavy and lumpy to the novice so you need to look at the persons build and upper body strength .

I have in my time seen to far many people sold and or wrongly advised as to what a new or novice shooter needs .

Grahams rule No 1 .You can not fit a gun to a man who cant shoot . [so dont try until he can stand and mount consistantly ] see rule 2

Rule No 2 . Mount and stance are at least 90 % of most new shooters problems . [Dont let him fire the gun until he has at least mastered the basics ]

Rule No 3.  You must have control of the gun , not the gun controlling you . [That the shooter has the gun held tight into the shoulder and both hands are gripping so the gun moves as you do . You should be able to hold the gun in a mounted position with one hand ,either ,and still have control when moving .When the gun is mounted and is held  correctly , someone  holds the muzzles and moves them the shooter should move with the gun .If the gun moves then it is not under the shooters control .]

2 hours ago, Stonepark said:

The other option is more practice to build up muscle along with muscle memory.

Unless your friend is particularly slight (i.e. equivalent to a 4ft11inch 100lb female), it is likely the lack of appropriate individual muscle strength in the right areas, rather than the gun being too heavy in itself.

The advantage of a light gun are carrying it about all day, when weight does matter, in the clay ground going in and out of slip, weight is of less importantance

Agree entirely. My daughter is light build and started with a light Beretta 20 bore. Once she gained experience moved to a silver pigeon 12. As a judo and karate instructor was far from weak!

As an Instructor, I come across this on a regular basis and for that reason I will not let any beginner shoot more than 8 to 10 shots without a break. As said, a newcomer will be using muscles that they did not know they had, and as such they tire quickly. For a first lesson, I keep it to 25 cartridges maximum and then assess if I feel that they can do a few more. Even so I would take a break for a cuppa and a chat about what we had achieved. If this person is going to shoot clays ONLY, then do not dismiss a semi auto 12 bore. I have 2 Beretta auto's and both weigh a touch over 7lbs. They will both cycle 24 gram cartridges too, if recoil is a problem. Taught how to use a semi auto correctly from day 1, they are a useful and reasonably priced tool for beginners. Just buy a magnetic cartridge picker upper thingy and get as many of your empties as you can.