Replacing gas fire with a log burner.

Dave-G

Our two bed semi was built in late 80's and with the energy hikes I'm just thinkering about fetching the gas fire out and swapping it with a wood burner. Its not a back burner fire.

The fire is in the outside facing wall. Firstly would I have to find out if its legal in my area, and would the gas flue be satisfactory? 

Any other considerations would be welcome.

No doubt I've forgotten to give some details. lol Edit modern private housing estate if that matters. Hmm, thinking about it... we don't have a chimney. :hmm:

Edited by Dave-G

3 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

Our two bed semi was built in late 80's and with the energy hikes I'm just thinkering about fetching the gas fire out and swapping it with a wood burner. Its not a back burner fire.

The fire is in the outside facing wall. Firstly would I have to find out if its legal in my area, and would the gas flue be satisfactory? 

Any other considerations would be welcome.

If I remember  right  the gas and multi fuel are different linners  I had to swap mine over  when I went from gas to Logs and coal . 

No.

You need a liner or solid fuel chimney, we are putting one in soon and originally it was an open fire, so has a solid chimney, then someone put in a gas fire, and now we are putting in a multi fuel stove and a flue.

Your main concern, that I can see, will be getting the gas pipe removed and capped as we also had to do that. Secondly, depending on the stove you either need a full depth hearth (6" iirc) or 12mm iirc. Then it's distance to combustible and how big an opening in your fireplace will determine which stove.

Edit***

Forget the above. For houses without chimney click on THIS

I found this site to be invaluable, hope it helps. 

Edited by henry d

We did this when we moved to the new house. My mate is a gas fitter so he removed and capped the old fire. I laid a new hearth so saved a little bit there. We don’t have a chimney breast so the best option for us was an inset stove. The stove was about £1,000, the liner and installation came to about another £1,000.

As above. Whatver do not buy cheap on the stove. We have two Clearviews fitted here both top of the range  which cost over £1500 20yrs ago>   I am fortunate I have access to an unlimited supply of timber and already have stored 6yrs supply.  Kmowing your home and location I would be a bit hesitant in going for a log burner. I kmow what we burn in a normal winter and it fills a large space.

Ome of my chimneys has been lined professionally, the other is still the standard circa 1700s chimney but works very well and no leaks.

BUT  to be honest a log fire warms you by just looking at it and we would not ever consider any other form of visible heating. We do have oil central heating but rarely have to use it when just one log burner is working. Our home is a large open Jacobean farm house.

Two options once the fire/gas is sorted, 1, get someone in to do it that’s HETAS registered(they can sign off their own work and you get the cover).

2, Do it yourself, contact building control(they’re usually helpful), once it’s finished you need them to come in and commission it.

I went option 1 after partially doing option 2(almost well enough 10 years earlier when less info was available). 
As for the stove, if it’s in a smokeless area you need a defra approved stove. 

Edited by Hicky

23 hours ago, MirokuMK70 said:

If you are doing it to save money forget it. Logs will cost you more than gas unless you have a private supply...

/\ This.  My house had an old Baxi open fire - which was replaced (1970s) with a log/coal burning stove.  Despite having operated safely for many years, it didn't pass modern regs (insufficient stone/cement heath before wooden floor starts).  A gas fire was installed circa 2000 and is still in place.  It heats well and is economical on gas.  Gas from October will be about 15p per KWhr (in fact I'm still on an old cheaper tariff).  Wood is typically 10p to 20p per KWhr equivalent (if you buy it) ............ so not much in it.  But a wood burner will probably cost around 1500-2000 to buy and install  - and you need a decent dry storage for quite a bulk of wood.

There is some gen here https://www.lektowoodfuels.co.uk/blogs/news/uk-wood-fuel-costs-2022

Yes, unless like myeslef you have an unexhaustible supply of timber and the facilities to store it dry then do not go for a log burner.  I was selling excess logs to my needs a couple of years ago at £55 a load which was half what the going rate was and about a quarter what it was down around London. All the scaredy cat stories about pollution really gets up my nose...pun intended .... a small minority of so called experts mention this to the press and it becomes the latest BIG health danger. 

BUT, Dave look after yourself and if in doubt don't.

4 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Yes, unless like myeslef you have an unexhaustible supply of timber and the facilities to store it dry then do not go for a log burner.  I was selling excess logs to my needs a couple of years ago at £55 a load which was half what the going rate was and about a quarter what it was down around London. All the scaredy cat stories about pollution really gets up my nose...pun intended .... a small minority of so called experts mention this to the press and it becomes the latest BIG health danger. 

BUT, Dave look after yourself and if in doubt don't.

:good: