Well, I am all excited...

Walker570

....tomorrow afternoon I hope to pick up my new 4x4.  I found a one owner Duster which appeared to have never driven on a grass verge never mind off road. At the moment it is on normal road tires but I will look to have some off road tyres fitted and I am researching the 2 inch lifters for the suspension.    OK the 1.5 diesel engine is not quite up to the 3.9 V8 BUT at 50 mpg I can accept that thankyou.  Already have front seat covers and a plastic Nomad liner for the rear waiting for it.  Apart from the suspension lift and proper tyres I cannot see any other mods required for my needs.  Watch this space.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was given a warning about fitting lift kits - the advice might not be the same for all vehicles though, maybe someone more mechanically minded could explain better.  Lift kits change the angle at which your drive shaft enters the diff.  This can cause stripping of the splines on the end of the drive shaft and failure of either the drive shaft, diff, or both.  I'd get some sound advice before making any commitment to the idea ;)

Let us have some pics when your new bus arrives! :)

Well eventually the bank allowed me to have MY money. I remember the days when you would throw your cheque book across the table and the vendor would fill it out for you to sign.  30 minute wait which I din't for someone at Barclays to answer the phone...........................  arrrrrgggghhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway eventually it all went through and I collected my Darcia Duster this morning and have to say for the moment I am pleased with it.  A six speed gearbox takes a bit of getting used to and the very long travel on the clutch pedal the same BUT I am used to the old Landie so it will take a mile or two.  Loads of fancy things on there like maps on a screen etc etc which I doubt I will ver use as I rarely go anywhere without first researching the route and also alternatives should a diversion occure.  Filed the tank to the brim and noted the mileage so will see what it will do....apparrently this clever motor car can tell you ...even tell you as you drive along.  So much distraction in the cab, it is no wonder accidents happen.  To be absolutely fair, it does seem that it will tick all the boxes. It has already hauled two loads of waste paper and cardboard down to our fire pit and gone around the wood checking the traps and it does it so serenely compared to the old V8 Landy blowing off through two Cherrybombs.

The seats are excellent as is the driving position and just checked how things will work out shooting from the passenger seat...perfect. Need to be carefull not to put one through the wing mirror.  At first thought there would be aproblem as the window glass curves down sharply but with a section of pope foam on the edge it is very comfortable.

First foray at the golf club tomorrow morning, mainly to fill feeders as I have not been for a few weeks but do not believe it will not do the job.  Vastly different to the tin box I had on test back in the late eighties although that tin box still never put a foot wrong.

21 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

I was given a warning about fitting lift kits - the advice might not be the same for all vehicles though, maybe someone more mechanically minded could explain better.  Lift kits change the angle at which your drive shaft enters the diff.  This can cause stripping of the splines on the end of the drive shaft and failure of either the drive shaft, diff, or both.  I'd get some sound advice before making any commitment to the idea

Let us have some pics when your new bus arrives!

Well to be honest, now I have the vehicle I can no longer see the need for it being any higher. It has adequate ground clearance for where I am likely to go and yes I was concerned about the change of angle because the car designers would have made the vehicle at that angle if required.  O know that there are different camber bolts available so it obviously does change the angle of drive.    Apart from the boot ;liner and seat covers I cannot see any further additions/alterations required other than maybe upgrading the tyres eventually.    I was a bit surprised as to how lively the relatively small 1.5 diesel engine was, plenty nippy enough for me.

On 08/10/2022 at 08:59, Walker570 said:

....tomorrow afternoon I hope to pick up my new 4x4.  I found a one owner Duster which appeared to have never driven on a grass verge never mind off road. At the moment it is on normal road tires but I will look to have some off road tyres fitted and I am researching the 2 inch lifters for the suspension.    OK the 1.5 diesel engine is not quite up to the 3.9 V8 BUT at 50 mpg I can accept that thankyou.  Already have front seat covers and a plastic Nomad liner for the rear waiting for it.  Apart from the suspension lift and proper tyres I cannot see any other mods required for my needs.  Watch this space.

Nice, I will have to google them to see what it is

I am now very fed up with this forum because I have just typed about eight lines and have been very careful not to touch another key etc and the screen has suddenly gone blank just leaving the last three words I typed in the top left hand corner.  I am going to switch off because I need to express myself if you get the message😡

Edited by Walker570

Well I will try again.   I have now had my Darcia Duster 4x4 1.5 d for 24hrs and must say so far pretty pleased with it.  Sorted the 6 speed box as it is basically an old crawler gear   1st   and an overdrive gear  6th with the other four covering all other uses.  I found the little button which displays your avg mpg and after a variety of driving including some off road and only one short 2 mile run down a dual carriageway it came up as 49.7mpg so not to be sneezed at.  Getting used to the very long throw on the clutch pedal, the one on the Landy was heavy but about half the length.  I sat for a couple of fruitless hours watching a flip top squirrel feeder this morning sat in the passenger seat with the window half way down and some insulating foam on the glass.  Very comfortable with the line of sight well above the rear view mirror. I will make a wooden unit to fit over the glass which will give a better support. Just cut a slot in a half inch piece of ply  which will slide over the glass for about 2 inches and then the rest will be level , at the moment it is curved.  Lots of room in the back and with the plastic lining tray easy to keep clean.   I might add a couple of good spots to half out the main beams which are not brilliant. Probably put a bull bar on the front tp hold these.  In all a tidy cheap motor.

Well I think I have solved the slight problem of the curved window glass.  Particularly on a couple of places I shoot tree rats I do it from my vehicle.  The Landy was no trouble but the new Duster has a curved edge to the side window making it difficult to put on a piece of foam and just at the point it becomes handy it fals away. Soooo!! Put brain in gear and came up with a simple solution.  Found a piece of scarp ply the same thickness as the window glas and cut this to fit the curve. Then screwed two pieces of slightly thicker ply either sie so the whole deal would slide over the glass and produce a flat surface.  Put on the foam tubing and fix that with a couple of zip ties and job done.

Nice firm rest above the wing mirror.  Try it next week at the golf club now I have topped all the feeders up there.

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

47 minutes ago, old'un said:

very clever but can I ask why you did not have it the full width of the window? as that would give you a greater shooting arc.

Because my angle of fire is within a couple of yards and mainly straight at the flip top. I might take a shot on the deck below but the angle is very tight between the trees.

I normal wait until they have a peanut or whatever nibbling and static before hitting them in the head. 

23 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I might add a couple of good spots to half out the main beams which are not brilliant. 

It may be worth looking at simply upgrading the bulbs at the front instead of the faff of fitting spots. I've fitted Osram Night Breaker? bulbs in both our Suzuki's , Jimny and Vitara and the results are very much better that standard.