Well, I am all excited...

Walker570

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

No, I believe the grays were introduced and  are out completing the red if I have put it together correctly. 

yup thats about it........greys are very distructive....they ring bark loads of trees in the forests among other things

....and eat birds eggs and young fledglings. Enemy No 1  other than the idiot who broguth them over and I understand I am far to late to deal with him.   We seem to have more than our chare of idiots in the UK, someone let those green parrots loose as well.  Munties I can tolerate to a point because they at least are excellent eating.

5 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

....and eat birds eggs and young fledglings. Enemy No 1  other than the idiot who broguth them over and I understand I am far to late to deal with him.   We seem to have more than our chare of idiots in the UK, someone let those green parrots loose as well.  Munties I can tolerate to a point because they at least are excellent eating.

whats the story with chinese water deer.....i remember when i was a student on sandringham and told not to go near certain areas of woodland and water areas as prince charles had introduced some small deer as an experiment .....??????

On 22/10/2022 at 02:26, NoBodyImportant said:

I’m pretty cool little vehicle.  Never seen them before.  What do you shoot the rats with? Shotgun? Air rifle? 

Air rifle in the main rarely a silenced 410 from set up permanent hides overlooking flip top feeders which attract the tree rats and can be dealt with swiftly and cleanly.

Back to the Duster. More than pleased with it. MPG is brilliant and it gets about most places just in front wheel drive.

One problem is the front passenger seat is far too comfortable causing my eyes to flutter when I am sat up watching a feeder. 

It will be interesting in a couple of weeks when I have a 100 miles or more on uninterrupted motorway and see how the mpg turns out.

NoBodyImportant.... I was in Texas on the day a gallon went up to a dollar....oh the weeping and wailing. I know it is much more now but here it is set at around $112 a gallon average, hence my turning to a smaller more fuel frugal motor.

1 minute ago, ditchman said:

whats the story with chinese water deer.....i remember when i was a student on sandringham and told not to go near certain areas of woodland and water areas as prince charles had introduced some small deer as an experiment .....??????

Yep, again stupid people. The main thrust of Chinese came from Woburn and they have, unlike munties more or less stayed in the area.   I'm led to believe they all escaped during the last war when the park was a military camp.

Well found one serious downfall with the Duster. Had my first lengthy drive this morning and evening after dark and the head candles ....well that is what they seem ...are pathetic. Illumination is yellow and at about 50yrds non existent.

Doing a bit of research and it seems other owners agree.  Upgrade to some LEDs might help but I will have a close look at mounting a couple of serious spots. You can get a smart chrome bull bar and I think this may make a good mounting point.  I had better lights on my rally car back in the sixties

Quite wet down in my wood after heavy rain and yesterday the front wheels started to spin on a slight incline. Turned the 4 wheel activater switch and it was like I was driving on tarmac. Amazing , as the tyres fitted at the moment are very normal town tyres which I will upgrade once the show some wear.

Edited by Walker570

I have a friendly electrician who did my X Type lights with LEDs, hoping he can do the same. Thansk for the suggestions.

Having had a look it is very difficult to mount spot lights, you can buy bull bars for the Duster and there is a fitment that goes behind the number plate fitting. Some LEDs in the main and dipped and a couple of good lLED spots would solve the situation.

3 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I have a friendly electrician who did my X Type lights with LEDs, hoping he can do the same. Thansk for the suggestions.

Having had a look it is very difficult to mount spot lights, you can buy bull bars for the Duster and there is a fitment that goes behind the number plate fitting. Some LEDs in the main and dipped and a couple of good lLED spots would solve the situation.

Don’t think your allowed bull bar’s these days 

lamp bars maybe 

also be aware that it could affect the operation of the airbags in the event of a accident either way your probably going to have to notify your insurance company 

Thanks for that info. I can always change them back , can't I.

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

I understood it was now an MOT failure if LED bulbs are fitted in units designed for halogen. That's if the tester notices, like missing DPFs.

2 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Don’t think your allowed bull bar’s these days 

lamp bars maybe 

also be aware that it could affect the operation of the airbags in the event of a accident either way your probably going to have to notify your insurance company 

They seem to come fitted on some pickups.  I will have the main lights upgraded first, then decid if the problem is solved before fitting spots.  Today small spots can be fitted which will do as good a job as the old Lucas Flame Throwers with halogen.   I remember upgrading my police motor cycle to halogen when it first came out, massive difference.

36 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Thanks for that info. I can always change them back , can't I.

They seem to come fitted on some pickups.  I will have the main lights upgraded first, then decid if the problem is solved before fitting spots.  Today small spots can be fitted which will do as good a job as the old Lucas Flame Throwers with halogen.   I remember upgrading my police motor cycle to halogen when it first came out, massive difference.

Talking of fitting LED bulbs into halogen headlamps: I wish I had better word power that this. Perhaps there's something on tinternet.

A dipped Halogen bulb basically reflects a flat topped beam below other road users windows, mirrors and eyes, and aim a higher part along the our left side pavements. LED's in lamp units with reflectors for Halogen bulbs don't behave in the same way for UK roads because the higher part is designed to light up the right side pavement - as per the very much larger more viable European markets roads.

A light bar or spotlights is the way to go if you want to be legal.

Well I had the lights on the Jag X Type changed to LEDs and the cut of on dipped is very pronounced, also the main beam is far better and reaches out much further.  I am hoping that the LED change on the Duster will be the same but as said I can always change them back because those fitted to the Jag where just a simple change over, one bulb for the other.

The spot;light route is a minefield because there is no facility on the front of the Duster to put a mount other than on the fitting for the number plate.  That needs a bit more investigation.

12 hours ago, Brodie said:

I understood it was now an MOT failure if LED bulbs are fitted in units designed for halogen.

/\  This.  However you may find you can get some "E marked" complete units (i.e. not just bulb replacements but full replacements like sealed beams).  They MUST carry the vital "E mark"  visible to the inspector.

They are now available in replacements for 7 inch round units (e.g. old Defenders), but beware of many non "E marked" units on auction sites etc.   Wipac do approved ones https://www.wipac-led.com/

I fitted my Defender with approved ones and no troubles wit MoT, though inspector did adjust the alignment (up) slightly.

Edited by JohnfromUK

On 03/11/2022 at 21:47, Walker570 said:

Well found one serious downfall with the Duster. Had my first lengthy drive this morning and evening after dark and the head candles ....well that is what they seem ...are pathetic. Illumination is yellow and at about 50yrds non existent.

Doing a bit of research and it seems other owners agree.  Upgrade to some LEDs might help but I will have a close look at mounting a couple of serious spots. You can get a smart chrome bull bar and I think this may make a good mounting point.  I had better lights on my rally car back in the sixties

Quite wet down in my wood after heavy rain and yesterday the front wheels started to spin on a slight incline. Turned the 4 wheel activater switch and it was like I was driving on tarmac. Amazing , as the tyres fitted at the moment are very normal town tyres which I will upgrade once the show some wear.

Sorry if teaching to suck eggs - but worth checking the angle of the beams. When I first picked my duster up from the dealer they were only illuminating tree tops!

1 minute ago, Jelly said:

Sorry if teaching to suck eggs - but worth checking the angle of the beams. When I first picked my duster up from the dealer they were only illuminating tree tops!

Yes, these seem to be pointing at the ground about 50yrds infront when on full   about where dipped beam should be and dips setting is consequently about 10yrds infront but the light output is pathetic as well.

2 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

/\  This.  However you may find you can get some "E marked" complete units (i.e. not just bulb replacements but full replacements like sealed beams).  They MUST carry the vital "E mark"  visible to the inspector.

They are now available in replacements for 7 inch round units (e.g. old Defenders), but beware of many non "E marked" units on auction sites etc.   Wipac do approved ones https://www.wipac-led.com/

I fitted my Defender with approved ones and no troubles wit MoT, though inspector did adjust the alignment (up) slightly.

Interesting read on LED bulbs…..https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/blog/are-led-headlights-legal-in-the-uk/

Edit..

Just been looking at these LED bulbs and it seems you could also be in breach of your insurers rules as replacing the bulbs with LED is classed as an aftermarket modification which notifiable.

When applying for car insurance online I am sure there's a box that asks if the car been modified?

Edited by old'un

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Yes, these seem to be pointing at the ground about 50yrds infront when on full   about where dipped beam should be and dips setting is consequently about 10yrds infront but the light output is pathetic as well.

Knob at the bottom of the dashboard, right hand side, about knee level.   Turn it to raise or lower the headlamp beam.   That is what my Duster has, so I presume other versions are the same.  Or is yours different?

1 hour ago, old'un said:

Interesting read on LED bulbs

The key difference is the in word "bulb".

To replace a headlamp bulb with an LED is not allowed because the headlamp lamp assembly was tested and E marked using a normal (usually H4) bulb.  If a different type of bulb is used, the E mark is invalid.

However complete LED replacement headlamp assemblies (and designed and tested as such) can be E marked as a sealed unit.  They are available E marked for normal 7 inch fitting, but they are quite expensive.  On failure you need to change the whole unit (although it is claimed they have a very long life).  If it is E marked it is a 'pass' for MoT and legal (as the Wipac units in the link are).

The snag is that many of the (usually cheap and often having USA approvals) after market units available are NOT E marked.   If they are not E marked, they are not legal in the UK despite what their sellers may claim.