Collecting wild mushrooms

ilovemyheckler

You can eat any mushroom, but some you can only eat once!

It's not easy, to answer more seriously. Roger Phillips does some good ID books, but I think it's advised to go out with someone who knows what they're doing. Some edible ones look similar to deadly ones. Loads of mushrooms in our garden, but I'm not confident enough to risk it.

Edited by sandspider

A very good family friend (now in advanced years) is a great expert - and I have often eaten a variety of what she harvested.  The only one I have really liked are the genuine wild ordinary (horse) mushrooms, which are really lovely (much better than shop bought).  The others I have had have always seemed both dull and uninteresting.  I have never had any that were unpleasant, or had any unpleasant effects, but neither have I ever felt that they were delicious and I would like to learn about these so that I could try and collect some.  Then again, I'm very 'underwhelmed' by truffles - which are so expensive and many think are wonderful.

29 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

A very good family friend (now in advanced years) is a great expert - and I have often eaten a variety of what she harvested.  The only one I have really liked are the genuine wild ordinary (horse) mushrooms, which are really lovely (much better than shop bought).  The others I have had have always seemed both dull and uninteresting.  I have never had any that were unpleasant, or had any unpleasant effects, but neither have I ever felt that they were delicious and I would like to learn about these so that I could try and collect some.  Then again, I'm very 'underwhelmed' by truffles - which are so expensive and many think are wonderful.

truffles make me baaff....🤢

I've collected mushrooms for around 40+ years,i'm not really interested in the more 'exotic' varieties,i really only focus on boletus (ceps,birch bolete & bay bolete),hedgehog fungus,chanterelle & winter chanterelle (not too fussed about the chanterelles these days),horse mushroom,field mushroom,parasol mushroom & sometimes cauliflower fungus,there was a time when i had a few hoteliers that would regulary buy mushrooms from me but that fazed out over the years mainly due to health & safety regs,these days i really only gather for myself,i've always got a good supply of dried porcini,they store very well if done correctly & the flavour they put in stews,casseroles & sauces etc is absolutely awesome,if i was to choose a favourite it would be the hedgehog,simply delicious,one fungus i have never found is the sulphur polypore or 'chicken of the woods',i'm too far north for them i reckon,seemingly quite common in England (?).

For many years i have also harvested,processed & regulary consumed birch chaga,i drink chaga coffee nearly every day of the week (& no,it has nothing whatsoever in common with liberty cap tea! 🤪 🤣) before the advent of the internet it was quite obscure but these days there's no shortage of it for sale if you're prepared to pay silly money for it.

For anyone that enjoys mushrooms i'd highly recommend you familiarize yourself with porcini/ceps & how to dry & store them,they're very distinguable & not too difficult to find (unless the foreigners beat you to it!),once you've mastered this & start using them in cooking you'll never look back.

Edited by 51/50

Porchini, chanterelle (yellow/winter/black-horn of plenty) is a solid base to start with and quite easy to learn with none or few dangerous spieces to confuse them with.

We usually dry what we pick, except for the yellow chanterelle which we just blanche and then put them in the freezer.

Porchini is the best imnsho, perfect in a risotto of on pizza. Dried crumbled winter chanterelle adds lots of flavor to a stew of any other long simmer dishes.

The black and winter chantarelles are in season around here now, especiallay the later kind.

/Markus

Edited by Nuke

Good post this! I've got a few books on mushrooms I.d etc I often look for them while just out walking the dog I've never picked any for the table so far. Upto now I've found penny buns, bay bolletes, field mushrooms , chicken of the woods, birch polypore I'm yet to find any chanterelle's & there is often a steady flow of liberty caps in a local national trust park not far from me if that's your thing. I've a bag of dried porcini in the cuboard will chuck them into the next stew to see how it goes.

1 hour ago, sandspider said:

Go on then, what's the best way to dry porcini? Assuming I can find and ID some. We have a dehydrator, if that would work?

Slice them & put them into the dehydrater at a set temperature for circa 8 hours & then bag them up ideally vacum packed there is a lot of videos on YouTube to assist. Seen a lot of people do it for homemade biltong/Jerky also 

Best and safest way to learn about edible mushrooms is to join a fungi group, there’s plenty of them around the country, I was a member of the Worcester Fungi Group for many years, its surprising what you learn in a group and there’s always an expert on hand to help confirm your find.

The one I was very surprised about and believe me it was the first time I had cooked them, was the puff ball.  It was mentioned on here and I found a nice fresh young one and sliced it and fried it in batter. Superb.  As a kid we ate a lot of field mushrooms but never ever tried puff balls.  Slice about 1/2 inch, simple batter mix with a good shake of your favorite seasonings. Fry in butter and serve with a fried egg/s and some smoked bacon, fried bread optional.

My wife is Slovak and picks a few but her parents collect lots of wild mushrooms. Even when I am told they are safe I would hesitate to eat some of them. We had some Pheasant back last time I was over to visit and just looking at it was almost enough to convince myself I was going to be ill. 

8 minutes ago, oowee said:

My wife is Slovak and picks a few but her parents collect lots of wild mushrooms. Even when I am told they are safe I would hesitate to eat some of them. We had some Pheasant back last time I was over to visit and just looking at it was almost enough to convince myself I was going to be ill. 

make sure you keep on her good side as she might dish you up one of these. :bye2:

Amanita_phalloides.jpg.jpg

On 30/10/2022 at 08:09, sandspider said:

Go on then, what's the best way to dry porcini? Assuming I can find and ID some. We have a dehydrator, if that would work?

Yes,dehydrators are the way to go,plenty available these days & a good investment,i also use mine for venison & goose jerky & occasionally herbs & 'sundried' tomatoes,i store my porcini in airtight containers lined with kitchen towel & a few small sachets of silica thrown in,never had any issues,pointless vac-packing them,you'd only have to cut the bag open then re-pack them again everytime you used them unless you were dealing with very large volumes.

I don't read books so can't recommend any but i've found this Youtube channel that looks very good for info....

https://www.youtube.com/c/WildFoodUK1/videos