Severe weather warning

Walker570

A few weeks ago I put a thread on here predicting that this winter would echo that of 1976 when we had a scorching summer and then January/February was a wash out with tractors bogged in fields etc etc.  I see a report in the Guardian saying that the Met Office have said that there will be severe flooding in February.  On this good old earth, what goes around comes around and live long enough and old enough you very often see a repeat of things and weather and politics are two such subjects.   Mind, I don't believe I have seen such a bunch of wasters in politics that we have now.  Even Wilson and Callaghan seemed brilliant in contrast.

Edited by Walker570

4 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

A few weeks ago I put a thread on here predicting that this winter would echo that of 1976 when we had a scorching summer and then January/February was a wash out with tractors bogged in fields etc etc.  I see a report in the Guardian saying that the Met Office have said that there will be severe flooding in February.  On this good old earth, what goes around comes around and live long enough and old enough you very often see a repeat of things and weather and politics are two such subjects.   Mind, I don't believe I have seen such a bunch of wasters in politics that we have now.  Even Wilson and Callaghan seemed brilliant in contrast.

it is being caused by Climate Change - I fully believe in Climate Change - but not in the way the COP lot do

ohhhh - for the days of growing vines and producing Wine like the Romans did in this country - or for Frost Fairs on the Thames that even had elephants on their the ice was that thick!!!!

8 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

yup severe flooding in feb march...............and because of the failure of the water companies to invest in storage there will be hospipe bans in july aug sept....all thro a result of greed.........and once again as always it is us the serfs that will pay for it...

Yep, but the elephant in the room is we keep multiplying when we should be stabilizing the world population at least if not reducing numbers because it is HUMANS which are the biggest pollutants.  If it continues what I have seen in the last 80yrs then forget about going shooting because there will not be room to swing a cat. That is unless Putin presses the red button and wipes out half the planet or more at a stroke.

44 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Yep, but the elephant in the room is we keep multiplying when we should be stabilizing the world population at least if not reducing numbers because it is HUMANS which are the biggest pollutants.  If it continues what I have seen in the last 80yrs then forget about going shooting because there will not be room to swing a cat. That is unless Putin presses the red button and wipes out half the planet or more at a stroke.

Indeed - the two world wars and a few lesser one's thinned out the world populations somewhat - difficult subject but how would we be managing now if they didn't happen. :hmm:

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

This /\.

I see world p;opulation is to hit 8 billion next week(!).. It was 2.5 billion in 1950, so more than 4 fold increase since then.  https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11398347/Earths-population-hit-EIGHT-BILLION-week.html

On weather, there is a tendency for it to 'average out ......... but that could be a 'beast from the east' (hopefully not a nuclear one) and a severe rainfall/flooding event .......... or simply a drawn out cold wet spring ............ or maybe it won't even out at all in the near future?  No one - Greta Thunderface, Piers Corbyn (warming denier) or Sir David Attenborough, the Archbishops and Pope with their direct line to deity ......  or even the Met Office's giant computer knows the answer.  It will be what it will be. 

The wife and i were discussing water the other week, and funnily enough the same topic was discussed on Alan Tichmarsh Sunday morning. 

It was about building new houses with buried water storage, it would be no problem having 5k water tanks built to store rainwater and then it could be used for flushing, car washing watering gardens etc. 

The only problem would be the idea is not complicated enough to actually get any momentum. 

We almost do that already with six 45 gallon tubs collecting water from our rooves.  I remember as a kid we had a huge water tank by the kitchen door fed from the large farmhouse roof and it was used for everyhting other than direct drinking water.  There where always little wriggly things swimming around in it but eighty years later I am still here talking about it.

1 hour ago, Dougy said:

The wife and i were discussing water the other week, and funnily enough the same topic was discussed on Alan Tichmarsh Sunday morning. 

It was about building new houses with buried water storage, it would be no problem having 5k water tanks built to store rainwater and then it could be used for flushing, car washing watering gardens etc. 

The only problem would be the idea is not complicated enough to actually get any momentum. 

you are excactly what the water companies want ............the serfs/scum spend the money whilst they dont and continue to coin it in..............

something has got to change.........all this bloody greed .....oil companies....wind companies ...gas companies ...water companies......greed greed greed....where has "investing for the future gone "

29 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

We almost do that already with six 45 gallon tubs collecting water from our rooves.  I remember as a kid we had a huge water tank by the kitchen door fed from the large farmhouse roof and it was used for everyhting other than direct drinking water.  There where always little wriggly things swimming around in it but eighty years later I am still here talking about it.

I don't mind the odd worm in our water but I  do object to all the chemicals being introduced just because mummy can't  be bothered to teach her brats  to clean their teeth. It takes alot of dirt to kill you. From Auntie.

14 minutes ago, 100milesaway said:

I don't mind the odd worm in our water but I  do object to all the chemicals being introduced just because mummy can't  be bothered to teach her brats  to clean their teeth. It takes alot of dirt to kill you. From Auntie.

Fluoride? It's not used in all areas only where it doesn't occur naturally. 

I know that they say that you only remember certain things BUT  I'm sure that in my short life ( I've  lived in the south east all my life), the weather year has changed .....  A BIT.  I remember walking to primary school in the autumn and there used to be thick fogs that lasted to mid morning.  Hundreds of cobwebs on the grass. Winter's were quite hard and every winter the ponds were covered in thick ice that was strong enough to have gangs of kids sliding across.  Water butts were solid ice.  EVERY WINTER we had snow and father had a four person sledge made at the local carpenters and the blacksmith fitted it with steel runners.  Summers were hot and long with newspaper headlines like " phew what a scorcher" !!!! AND AFTER A few days of really hot weather there were violent thunderstorms.  Autumns were mild and dark in the evening.  Now most of the year the weather is pretty much flat without the variety of years ago.  The amount of ANY SNOW is very little and IF we get some it is only on an odd day and it's gone by lunch time. Father would definitely be wasting his money on a sledge now.  It wouldn't get any use.  AT ALL.  Roll on global warming. My lawns were crispy brown this summer.  The rain has come and the lawns are more emerald green than before.  It must have killed off the weeds.  The man than I was apprenticed under used to come out with all sorts of random weather lore saying ..like "Oak before the ash ,we're in for a splash".  And "If the ice in November will bear the weight of a duck, the rest of the winter will be mud and muck".  AND " Near burr  fine, fur burr wet.!!. This last saying was tied up with the amount of water droplets there were in the atmosphere and  how there is a halo ring of light around the moon. How close or far away the halo is.  I dont know if anyone has compiled a book of all of these old weather lore sayings.

Edited by Minky

That took me back a few years as well Minky. I remember riding back from a Christmas party in the milk van with my mother driving and my father walking infront because the fog was so thick. That would be late 40s early 50s.  Certainly we do not seem to have the thunder storms we once had back then as well usually Royal Show week or in August just at harvest time.     For certain the one big pollution problem in the world is plastic. No doubt it has been a magic material from pop bottles to replacement lenses for eyes.

Afraid it will be many moons before we see that problem solved.

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Rain water was a precious item in rural Britain prior to the arrival of mains water supply.  We had former tar barrels at every  down pipe plus a proper tank on  a house extension.   Rain water was especially prized as a sourceof ,'soft' water which was best for weekly wash as many farm wells produced heavily limed water.

Blackpowder

The weather is doing my head in this week. I just cant get out. I have a new bike stuck in shed. Boat was stuck in the marina at the weekend. Rifles not coming out of the cabinet (and I have orders to fill) and there is no way I am setting up a hide or doing anything walked up.