Have You Had Your New Energy Quote Yet ?

marsh man

Our new energy quote came through the letter box yesterday and it wasn't very good reading , we are with British Gas for both gas and electricity , we were on a fixed rate but that is now finished and for the time being we can no longer get a fixed rate .

Our gas was nearly £900 and the new quote is just about double that and our electric was £850 and it is now going up from the 1st of December to £1260 this will make it more or less £3000 a year , alright we did get some help towards the cost and for the time being we should manage alright , but I dread to think how some poor folk will manage . MM

20 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Time to economise and look for a better deal.

Why would you stay with British Gas?

We were on a fixed rate with British Gas and at the time we took it on they were well in line with other suppliers , we have got till the 1st of December so I will compare other companies , but I would have thought there wouldn't be that much in it , still worth looking into .

As for cutting back , apart from shooting I do on most things :lol: , tbh , we think about it but don't worry about it , carry on regardless is what I say T C .

We got shifted over BG and we are an economy 7 user.  Theoretically we should have a night and day unit price but we seem to be on one unit price.  Trying to contact BG is like a rotating door.  I e-mailed them,  no response,.  I tried to text chat,,,,no operators availble   tried to phone.  After X failed attempts  I was 850 in a Queue. then disconnected.  ANYWAY.  about a wèek ago son in law was urgently ringing the door bells x2 !!!  He had found a different contact number and had been ringing it whilst out for a walk with the dog.  He had only got through and had managed to keep them on the line whilst ha had RUN nearly 1/4 of a mile to get here. The mobile signal isn't brilliant here so I got him to ask them to ring us back on my landline.  Unbelievably a few minutes later the phone rang and I  had a call from a woman that lasted 55 minutes and it turned out to be from Cape town South Africa. She said that the mistake went back to February and that she couldn't deal with it but the back room techs would deal with it and that I would be contacted in 10 to 12 days.  Needless to say nothing has happened.  So we've got their number so I will have to waste another day on it.  Everything is like that now.  Just read above post and the unit price is on my online a/c and I think that it is 38p per unit up from about 12 and 19.  I got to be patient and wear them down.  Water on a stone.

Pre April price increase I was paying £330 a month. With a few (some insignificant - some significant) changes, I’m now (after 2 price increases) looking at well under £300 a month and have £1000 in credit for the expensive winter months. 

Underfloor heating turned off. 

Replaced old appliances.

Lazy spa not been on since last winter.  

Tumble drier for emergencies only.

Everyone in the house on board - lights and washing etc  

Cook most oven based stuff in an air frier.  

Edited by markm

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

We were on a fixed rate with British Gas and at the time we took it on they were well in line with other suppliers , we have got till the 1st of December so I will compare other companies , but I would have thought there wouldn't be that much in it , still worth looking into .

As for cutting back , apart from shooting I do on most things  , tbh , we think about it but don't worry about it , carry on regardless is what I say T C .

I think all suppliers have pretty much the same price at the moment based on the Gov't's price cap. 

I am on Oil for heat and at 75p a litre its about the same price as gas (per therm). 

My electric is £40 a week now instead of £26 only a few months back . 
£150 a month for gas and electric currently but we’ve turned off the underfloor heating in two rooms , no heating yet but I like the cold . 
weve 6 kids between me and the mrs with 4 staying over regularly 50% of the time . 
lights get turned off 

I'm with BG too not by choice but by my suppler going under, I had no choice of what I got so thy did me right over!

Boiler insurance and all the other stuff to put the price up!!!!!

2 years ago I was paying £85 a month for both gas and electric on a 1 year fix.

Now paying £241 a month!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Had solar panels fitted 4th October thy will not register them because I don't have a smart meter!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thy have put me on a list to get a smart meter but could be up to 12 months waiting!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tried to change supplier but NO other supplier taking on new customers!!!!!!!!!!!!

There web site is hopeless, contact almost impossible, advisors' when you do get through on the phone give you wrong information and then cut you off!!!!!!!!!

Thy changed my account split it to two separate gas and electric bills and some how managed to loss my £967 credit!!!!!!! 

I've made a formal complaint and the email back said---------- Could take up to 21 days to prosses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will be moving my business else were as soon as possible.

By the way I cannot raise this with the ombudsman until they have had 8 weeks to sort it out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To say I'm disgruntled is a major under statement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

I also had British gas forced upon me. 

never in 20 odd years of paying bills have I had to spend so much time trying to sort out issues. 
They are well aware as soon as I can I’m off. They have to be one of the worse companies currently in business. 

website is slow. App is forever unavailable or so slow it’s no use. Online chat is always offline and call centres are always ‘in high demand’ 

probably because they are so **** everyone is always on the phone as they can’t actually sort anything out 

I too have had British gas foisted upon me. I haven't had one correct bill from them since January. During this time their dd request in several stages has gone from 79/month to over 400/month the current state of negotiations with their complaints manager sits at "you can stick your direct debit up your jacksie" .

7 hours ago, Sprinter said:

I too have had British gas foisted upon me. I haven't had one correct bill from them since January. During this time their dd request in several stages has gone from 79/month to over 400/month the current state of negotiations with their complaints manager sits at "you can stick your direct debit up your jacksie" .

Mine went from you are not paying enough to we suggest you reduce your direct debit to we suggest you reduce it more followed by you will have a shortfall we suggest you pay a lump sum or quadruple your payments.  

all this was with a sizeable ‘credit’ buffer that was 3 months worth. 

I also told them that I would pay on receipt if they tried to automatically change my payments. 
randomly I am billed quarterly and they can’t change it to monthly without cancelling my monthly direct debit and setting up a new ….. monthly direct debit. 

I've never encountered anything like the situation with  Brit gas.   The bill's are rubbish.  The service is  rubbish to non existent.we did manage to get a contact about 2 weeks ago about the fact that we are economy 7 users and as such have 2 different unit prices  we now are on one unit price of 38ppu. and this goes back to Feb. They said that it would be sorted out.  So far nothing.  Except they want a meter reading.

55 minutes ago, Minky said:

I've never encountered anything like the situation with  Brit gas.   Except they want a meter reading.

Every time you speak to them, the first thing they ask is if they can close the complaint (having done sod all to resolve it) followed by they need a meter reading despite being provided with one sometimes less than 3 days before. Every time I have any contact with these idiots I end up under the stairs with a miners lamp on reading bloody meters for them.

1 hour ago, Sprinter said:

Every time you speak to them, the first thing they ask is if they can close the complaint (having done sod all to resolve it) followed by they need a meter reading despite being provided with one sometimes less than 3 days before. Every time I have any contact with these idiots I end up under the stairs with a miners lamp on reading bloody meters for them.

We've only been able to get any contact the once and the woman was reasonable to deal with when I  managed to get her to slow down her speach speed.  At first I  couldn't understand what she was saying.  I didn't know whether she was Indian, Bangladeshi or what brand, not that it makes any difference to me either way.  In the end it turned out to be from Cape town, South Africa.  We were in conversation for 55 minutes, and there were  several 5 minute spells of being on hold whilst she was checking the a/c or with her superiors.  She agreed that there was a major problem with the a/c but that as the time span was more than 60 days they couldn't resolve the problem but that the issue had been raised with the tech guys and that it would be resolved??  AND that I  would be getting a message within 10...12 working days.  I await some sort of comunication. ??  It could  Be to inform me that Christmas is coming and the goose is getting fat.??  If nothing comes through I'll  Be back, a bit like Arnie.  What a bloody shambolic state of affairs. Still we aint out in the ukraine.  Bloody putin.  What a ****.  Can't someone shoot the blighter.

Edited by Minky