Vac pac machines recommends.

powler

Not wanting to hijack the People can't afford to eat thread about Vac pacs, does anyone have any recommendations good or bad of Vac pac machines as there is quite a selection, the Bonsenkitchen seem to be a decent make but are there extra functions I should look for, also the bags/rolls etc.

Thanks

Mick

DO NOT buy the Foodsaver V3840 from Lakeland (or anywhere else),spare gaskets are not available for them,had i have known that i wouldn't have bought one from Lakeland,overall it's a good machine & it has served me well but it's now losing suction so i'm going to have to buy a complete new machine.

Although I contributed on vac sealers on the earlier thread, I cannot recommend what I have - on the basis that it is effectively no longer available.  It is an Andrew James branded machine - and has been excellent.  But Andrew James failed as a business and although the machine is available from other places - they charge about 5 times what I paid for mine!

People I know who have them all have different ones and I'm not aware of any having been 'poor'.  I have heard that (as so often) good value is to be found in the Aldi/Lidl specials aisle when they have them.

having worn out a couple of Amazon 'cheap' ones - that always seem to so wrong when you are in the middle of packing a carcass - I bit the bullet and bought one from weschenfelder. still going strong 8 years and 150 ish carcasses later - so it is always the same advice - if you can afford quality then spend the money  - it will likely be cheaper and less frustrating in the long run.

I bought one off ebay,a cheap one to try and it has bee n bomb proof since. Not sure of the make and can't check as it is down at my folks.Cost about £25.

I buy rolls of tube vac pac bags from Lidl,they usually have 3 different sizes and the thinner ones I use for fish and they are perfect fro trout up to 6lb. A friend buys his rolls from AliExpress and they have also been fine.

22 minutes ago, Houseplant said:

Our Russel Hobbs unit has been going strong for many years and gets a weekly workout. UK company, so must be available in the UK?

did a quick Google search, it seems they are only available in New Zealand and Australia.

6 hours ago, Gudgeon said:

Lidl Silver Crest one has been perfectly good for us. Done several deer already. £25 is a bargain really and a good introduction.

Go more expensive if your volumes justify it.

just sent for one of these £29, comes with a 28cm wide roll of bags.

Where do you get your rolls/bags from? looked on ebay and there's loads.

45 minutes ago, London Best said:

I think Mrs.LB buys ours at Lakeland Plastics.

22 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I usually get mine from Amazon.  I buy various different widths of roll, and usually best prices are packs of 3 rolls. 

thanks both,

Have you noticed any difference between makes? Or are they all much the same.