This could be a bad thing for me.

30-6

Well my wife's care home place of work has closed, and the 14 staff made redundant. They looked after severely disabled people 24/7 on a shift work pattern.

Now fair play to her at 63 years old the last couple of years she has suffered from arthritis in her knee and struggles a lot with pain. So she and a few of the staff opted for an early retirement and redundancy package.

However, it could come to blows. She's not the type to sit still and chill, she always has to be doing something. Rearranging cupboards, vacuuming etc.

Basically we are in each others way already. Any tips ?

Have the same issue with the management here. Leave her to it and get out of the house when she is about doing man things. Try and talk her into voluntary work as good for her physical and mental health……and the latter for you. My wife spends time at the local hospital shop and helps elderly neighbours out shopping, cleaning and the like. Always somebody needing it.

I had an aunt who had spent a good deal of her 'later life' looking after my ailing uncle.  She was a sort of 'human dynamo' type of person.

He died when she was around 65 I suppose and she engaged with many local 'good causes', notably 'meals on wheels', and a local women's group who raised money for charity by coffee mornings, soup and cheese lunches, knitting blanket squares groups etc.  She also did work (teas?) for the 'open gardens scheme' which I think raised money for the nursing association.  Basically lots of 'good works' activities which kept her busy and got her meeting people ........ and benefited everyone.

My wife retiring got in the way of my self indulgent activities. Thankfully she got a voluntary job at Save the Children a couple of days a week- phew!
She loves it, a complete change from being a College Administrator , meeting people, arranging window displays, sorting and pricing donations, she spends hours researching the value of stuff- antiques, designer gear, 1st editions etc.

One major problem- She keeps buying c**p and bringing it home.
However its a small price to pay for freedom!