Some advice please ladies & gents?

Had my renewal reminder end of January and set about trying to decipher this new medical certificate part of the process. Decided to print off the documents and drop them at the GP surgery, requested an invoice as per the guidance letter included. Having not heard anything I called them and they said there was no record of them receiving it. 😐. Was told to bring them in, along with £50 cash and it’d be sorted in 7-10 days. Seemed reasonable to me.

Long story short, I’ve reprinted the forms, filled out as much as I am allowed and re-presented them in person at the surgery. I was told the cost (by a different receptionist) of £125!!
With the cost being over double what Medcert and the like seem to charge I asked her what timescale could be guaranteed for completion at this inflated cost. Turns out now I’d have to attend a “10 minute interview” in person and presumably walk out with the forms, although this wasn’t implicitly stated. 

Having read the BMA guidelines there is no mention of a requirement for a medical interview, and this all seems a little irregular to me, not to mention expensive!

I’ve read conflicting reviews of MedCert and better reviews of others which are little dearer, but none as bad as £125 and the requirement to attend an ‘interview’! 

Who did you folks use, how long did it all take and what were you charged? Did any of you have to attend the surgery for an interview? 😳 

Answers on a postcard. 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I requested my full medical details from my GP and received them within 3 weeks (they have to provide them within a month of your request) and I then sent then to a GP recommended by BASC. He originally said his fee was £50 but reduced it to £25. He then sent the Pro Forma to the police and I received my renewed c0-terminous certificates.

Thanks Steve. 

Sounds like you got a bargain 👍🏻 

The real issue is, I can’t just submit my renewal (online or on paper) WITHOUT this damned medical form 🤷‍♂️ so I risk going over the timescale for a section 7 extension by their rules due to the hindrance of this process, which is less by the Co-operation or otherwise of your doctor. This whole addition to the renewal process seems to be an Achilles heel to the licensing teams’ effective operation. 

I don’t suppose you care to share the details of your helpful doctor so that others could consider giving him some business? 😉

With the delays in completing this part of the renewal, one would expect the reminder notices to be sent a few months before they actually are, to avoid this last minute panic to get the forms in order. Compared to my last renewal which was a breeze, this is turning into a nightmare! 

I printed the form and handed it in to the surgery requesting that I would collect it when ready in 3 weeks or so.

I rang 3 weeks later and was told I could collect and needed to pay £15 cash.

I did so and photographed the forms and sent  copy of photo in with my online coterminous renewal application.

All accepted.

Nowadays you really need to start thinking about getting the proforma sorted 6 months before the certificate runs out.

Don't wait for the police reminder to drop through the letterbox.

Edited by wyn

I have until late May when my certificate expires. I acted as soon as I got the notification, and with hindsight would have applied sooner had I known what a fiasco this is turning out to be. 😌 

Thanks for all your replies so far regarding this matter. 

My doctors would not complete the medical forms, so I used shotgunmedicals.com downloaded the request templet from the website. It took 2 weeks for the doctors to give me a print out of my medical records (they would not provide an electronic copy) posted them Tuesday morning had completed medical form pdf copy in my inbox Wednesday evening. Emailed to firearms dept no issue cost was £60. 

2 hours ago, Torbruk said:

Thanks Steve. 

Sounds like you got a bargain 👍🏻 

The real issue is, I can’t just submit my renewal (online or on paper) WITHOUT this damned medical form 🤷‍♂️ so I risk going over the timescale for a section 7 extension by their rules due to the hindrance of this process, which is less by the Co-operation or otherwise of your doctor. This whole addition to the renewal process seems to be an Achilles heel to the licensing teams’ effective operation. 

I don’t suppose you care to share the details of your helpful doctor so that others could consider giving him some business? 😉

With the delays in completing this part of the renewal, one would expect the reminder notices to be sent a few months before they actually are, to avoid this last minute panic to get the forms in order. Compared to my last renewal which was a breeze, this is turning into a nightmare! 

To be honest, it was a few years ago when I renewed my FAC and I can't remember who the GP was. I think though that you have to go through BASC. My GP refused point blank to have 'anything to do with shooting and guns', so that's why I went through BASC. 

20 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Is there some reason you won't use Medcert? Your solution is there and as you say - time is ticking.

No reason at all, other than the negative reviews I saw on ‘Trustpilot’. 

I am impartial and just basing my decisions on facts I can research in a limited time span. Do you have a good experience with Medcert? If so please share. This was intended to summon answers to my problem with real life ‘case studies’ rather than a back & forth. 

P.S. Having had no response from my GP in almost a month, I’d looked at Medcert, and was going to take that route if I had to. The £50 - 7/10 days deal from my local GP just seemed easier and a no-brainer.

I am now looking for a solution that people have experienced first hand and can recommend.

Thanks. 

Edited by Torbruk

11 hours ago, wyn said:

Nowadays you really need to start thinking about getting the proforma sorted 6 months before the certificate runs out.

Don't wait for the police reminder to drop through the letterbox.

Cheshire police told me that the proforma must be dated within the last 30 days, or it will null and void.

Do you have a good experience with Medcert? If so please share. This was intended to summon answers to my problem with real life ‘case studies’ rather than a back & forth. 

I and three shooting colleagues have used Medcert and it solved the problem. Medcert's charges and timetable are published on their site, so i saw little point in repeating them for your benefit. A "back and forth" seems to be your way, rather than just getting on with it. 

4 hours ago, 30-6 said:

Going back 3 years, I paid £100, sorted in days. I thought of it like this, 5 years equals £20 per year and no hassle.

My GP's a shooter himself.

As a doctors proforma been required for that long? I thought it only came into force Nov 2021?