Emergency Alerts: The Government’s new warning service goes live.

Robden

BBBBEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP............BBBBBBEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPP

"this is der govt'.........there is a 100 mega ton nuclear missile heading you way in 5 mins...please take cover"

"oh thank god someone has warned me ....i now have time to put my head twix my knees and kiss my **** goodbye.."

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 16/04/2023 at 13:33, old'un said:

I am leaving alerts on because if Mr Putin does send us a present I will have plenty of time to follow the Governments instructions on how to build a temporary fallout shelter.

Yes. Ample enough to buy the sandbags (which will be the new lavatory rolls) and the bags of sand and the wooden beams to reinforce your "inner core or refuge" (which in itself says I am old enough to remember "Protect and Survive").

12 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

Yes. Ample enough to buy the sandbags (which will be the new lavatory rolls) and the bags of sand and the wooden beams to reinforce your "inner core or refuge" (which in itself says I am old enough to remember "Protect and Survive").

I thought it was remove a door to lean against a wall and take shelter under that - or have they stopped that since seeing the rubbish the sell as doors nowadays in B&Q :D

12 hours ago, derbyduck said:

no not on my phone ,but then again if its to warn of a nucellar attack I'd sooner not know ! 

Spend the last few minutes of your life in absolute terror instead of "What the f............" I would rather the latter

2 minutes ago, discobob said:

I thought it was remove a door to lean against a wall and take shelter under that - or have they stopped that since seeing the rubbish the sell as doors nowadays in B&Q :D

Spend the last few minutes of your life in absolute terror instead of "What the f............" I would rather the latter

👍

Anyone know what they intend to do about the fact that there were a lot of random things.  Some got the msg early, some got it late and some like the Mrs & I Didn't get it at all.  The warning is important because when there was that Tsunami in Japan Many Many lives could have been saved if a warning could have been sounded 20 mins earlier to allow people the time to get to higher ground, like the poor blighters working out in fields or driving in cars.  If it saved one life it would have been worth it.  And as for the disbeliever conspiracy crowd you must be rogues & up to some sort of mischief that needs checking out.

17 minutes ago, Minky said:

you must be rogues & up to some sort of mischief that needs checking out.

🤣

The last Tsunami that we had was about 8000 years ago 

I can see this being a thing - if you lived in Tornado Alley, Japan etc... where you have catastrophic events due to weather/seismic reasons. Whereas with the way this country is (happily) swallowing the climate change (P.S I believe in Changing Climate) we will be getting these alerts for when the sun is shining, the rain is heavy, and the wind is blowing a bit - Also when we are running out of power...

OR

We have another plandemic (Bird Flu seems to being pushed at the moment) just as Bill Gates has forecast...

It is a psychological weapon to be used against the masses which will result in even larger government control on peoples lives and larger government means larger taxes (or indirect taxes through fines/charges etc..)

32 minutes ago, Pushandpull said:

Rising sea levels will not make this less likely.

Oh I, I forgot about the rising sea levels - it was funny - they forecasted that the sea would be a lot closer to me be 2020 - hasn't happened yet.

Flooding is something that we have had for time immemorial - in 1953 they didn't have the comm's that we have now. If it was only to be used for something like that then I would go with it - but it won't will it - as I said above - it will be used to scare people.

1 hour ago, Minky said:

Anyone know what they intend to do about the fact that there were a lot of random things.  Some got the msg early, some got it late and some like the Mrs & I Didn't get it at all.  The warning is important because when there was that Tsunami in Japan Many Many lives could have been saved if a warning could have been sounded 20 mins earlier to allow people the time to get to higher ground, like the poor blighters working out in fields or driving in cars.  If it saved one life it would have been worth it.  And as for the disbeliever conspiracy crowd you must be rogues & up to some sort of mischief that needs checking out.

Oh please! I despise the ‘if it saves one life ‘ mantra. 
If we lived by the ‘if it saves one life it’ll be worth it’ mindset, we wouldn’t be owning firearms, driving vehicles, flying or anything else that could save one life if we avoided doing it! 
Does the emergency alert inform you what the emergency is? If not then it’s meaningless. 
We don’t get tsunamis in the UK, but an old WW2 air raid siren is sounded when rivers are due to burst their banks locally, but locals will have been aware of the likelihood long before then that is heard. 
What sort of national emergency is going to strike so suddenly that the first we know of it is by phone? 
Folk need to get a grip. 

Don't agree, Those poor householders that got burnt out last year would disagree with you.  It   might have given people half an hour  to get stuff like important paperwork out that was burn't to ashes.  It doesn't matter what the emergency is or when the last mammoth went on the rampage but if you're out and about and a lion has escaped a warning alert might be useful to you.  if you think that the government holds you as such a high threat level that you need monitoring as to whether you are at home or gone to Tesco or whether you shop at Morisons or Waitrose or the corner shop then you are elevating your importance.   It isn't some great government conspiracy to find out whose cornflakes you buy. They don't give a monkeys  ..  unless you start publishing documents with certain words such as Bo*b or communicating with individuals that are known.

14 minutes ago, Minky said:

Those poor householders that got burnt out last year would disagree with you

Can you clarify that - it has come out of left field a bit - you mentioned a Tsunami in your previous.

I never said about monitoring - what it is about is the overreach of Government into our lives - and (some) people are just sick of it and pushing back - as I said it is a psychological tool that is being used along with other things - pretty soon when we hear a bell ring we will all start salivating (Pavlovs' dog)

30 minutes ago, Scully said:

Folk need to get a grip. 

Don't they just.

So you wouldn't want to be warned about the gang of terrorists roaming the street of your local town as you and loved ones were out enjoying an evening meal there.

Or the cloud of toxic gas that's escaped from a local factory as you partake of a little light gardening..

It was, or was supposed to be a national test of a system that can be tailored  to suit a range of scenarios 

2 minutes ago, discobob said:

what it is about is the overreach of Government into our lives -

Oh come on, they even gave you instructions on how not to receive the message, how is that overreach?

Overreach would be having to respond by scanning your gov issued ID card with your phones code scanner thingsmabob.

42 minutes ago, Scully said:

Does the emergency alert inform you what the emergency is? If not then it’s meaningless. 

I understand it does in the text - and it is directed to phone 'cells' only in the area affected, so can be local.  For example, where I live on 2007 we had bad flooding that occurred very quickly with many roads flooded and impassable that were not normally considered at flood risk.    It went from a standard 'very wet morning' to a serious flood event very quickly and did catch quite a few 'unawares'.  Roads that had been wet but normal when people went to work - were waist deep by the time people were trying go go home.

I do think it could have been useful for some people then.  One life was lost locally, but a LOT of people were unable to get home/collect children etc.

IF it is used correctly (i.e. only very rarely when there is a real rare nasty event), then I think it will be useful. 

However, if it is used every time we get a low lying road impassable (happens several times a year) it will be ignored.

6 minutes ago, manthing said:

Oh come on, they even gave you instructions on how not to receive the message, how is that overreach?

Overreach would be having to respond by scanning your gov issued ID card with your phones code scanner thingsmabob.

That is coming 🤣

Yep - they issued instructions when someone clicked that a lot of abuse victims have hidden phones.....

But let's face it - Some people want this - and they won't ever realise what they gave up 🐑

1 minute ago, JohnfromUK said:

IF it is used correctly (i.e. only very rarely when there is a real rare nasty event), then I think it will be useful. 

Exactly what I said above

3 hours ago, Minky said:

The last big one was roughly 12,000 years ago, with an intermediate one 5500bc recorded on Shetland and Orkney (Noah Event) and next big one is due again, problem is the cause would disable the mobile network before there was even a hint the tsunami was coming.

1 hour ago, discobob said:

at this moment - not a lot but it will all come flooding soon.

CBDC

Digital ID

Carbon Credits

Social Passport...

and dare I say it 15 minute cities - I would do a runner to your boat Grant if I was you :)

With the exception of 'Social Passport' all good with me. City living (not so sure about 15 mins) has to be the future.

Make the most of here and now. These changes will be so incremental and a reflection of a changing world that we won't have to be too concerned. There are a lot bigger threats out there just enjoy what you have rather than imagine yourself to an early grave. 

On 18/04/2023 at 16:16, Centrepin said:

What does that button actually do?

My car has one and I'm dying to press it to see what happens.🤣

I don’t know, I’m scared to press it.

I know Breitling have a survival watch with a large winder type thing on the side.

In cases of emergency you pull this and it extends and ands an emergency signal to the powers that be and they send a helicopter/rescue squad to come and get you.

If it’s a false alarm or someone just playing with it, you are liable for the full cost of the rescue 😳

:shaun:

They had a siren on top of the local garage for all of my life that I can remember. Then "they" as in the Government decided we didn't need these things. Bought and paid for so other than an annual test and check cost nothing as it had been paid for long ago.

Just like this one. Grey. Whirled around and made a noise. You could here it at the other end of the village a mile away.

But now this scheme...have no doubt... they WILL be someone in IT or computing or communications who has got a "nice little earner" out of this contract arranged, no doubt, via some or other "consultancy" headed by an ex-MP, Peer or other crony of the Tories. 

Edited by enfieldspares

2 hours ago, oowee said:

With the exception of 'Social Passport' all good with me. City living (not so sure about 15 mins) has to be the future.

Make the most of here and now. These changes will be so incremental and a reflection of a changing world that we won't have to be too concerned. There are a lot bigger threats out there just enjoy what you have rather than imagine yourself to an early grave. 

You’re ok with the pension you’re paid only being valid for a week under CBDC?? It can be done easily. 
re incremental- you are describing death by a thousand cuts there. I have kids and I am really concerned at what this country will be like for them. 
I don’t think it will be that long. 2030 will be a telling year (at the latest)