Emergency Alerts: The Government’s new warning service goes live.

Robden

2 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

How you getting that alert if you say it's that poor signal? 

I am not saying about the alerts I'm pointing out that most of the time the people who need to know.know...

I am not getting an alert, that is the menu options to turn of different types of alert on your mobile, you will note i have left crash detection on which will dial emergency services should it detect a sudden and violent stop if i have a signal.
You will note i have chosen the option to not get emergency alerts.

If you also look at the two pics you will see the signal bar is pretty low, that's despite me being 4 floors up with an uninterrupted view from my office windows.

One of the farms i shoot on there is an EE mast, you won't get a signal with your EE phone if you are within 200m as the bandwidth will just pass over you.
I live in Wales, we have lots of hills and valleys, there are still villages that don't have any mobile phone signal.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 21/03/2023 at 06:35, Stonepark said:

No this is about control and Nanny state.

Android

settings

notifications

Wireless Emergency Alerts

And turn them off.....

Simples

I wish it were this easy, I have a Huawei P20 and if I go to settings there is no option to switch these notifications off...and I couldn't agree more, it is yet another control measure although for exactly what purpose yet remains to be seen

52 minutes ago, Imperfection said:

Haha. Im guessing most have no idea what your on about. 😉

i drop these obscure references in now and again.....its only folk of a certain age and mindset "click" on them.........:lol:

most people think im a fruitcake....

1 hour ago, Yellow Bear said:

What is your problem - it is only long pig after all

some folk says it tastes like chicken some say it tastes like pork..............is it worth marinating and what would your basic ingredients be ?

i ask this as i will be having my local MP for lunch

Edited by ditchman

20 minutes ago, ditchman said:

some folk says it tastes like chicken some say it tastes like pork..............is it worth marinating and what would your basic ingredients be ?

i ask this as i will be having my local MP for lunch

Sand trench and wrapped in banana leaves with papaya. cover with sand and light fire on top  -  time depends on size.:D

4 hours ago, Acerforestry said:

I wish it were this easy, I have a Huawei P20 and if I go to settings there is no option to switch these notifications off...and I couldn't agree more, it is yet another control measure although for exactly what purpose yet remains to be seen

Settings --> sounds & vibrations --> more settings --> cell broadcasts then turn all off/on as you please. or just search when in settings main page cell broadcasts.

3 hours ago, Rem260 said:

There are 97 million mobile phones in the uk. How many people does the government have to employ to keep an eye on everyone and what they are doing or saying. 

Nowadays, not many  - stream processing and AI would process that data. 

about 15 years ago I done work at HMRC and part of it was to do with a system that analysed voice patterns for lying. Imagine what they can do nowadays

When you update the operating system on your mobile phone, your service provider sends you a text along the lines of

"It looks like you've changes something, well send you new information so you can continue to access the tinterwebs and stuff".

These service texts then arrive an auto open and self install.

Anybody that thinks the government, if they so desired, could not send out their own self opening and self installing malware on the back of this system is kidding them selves. We are well past that.

They are trailing an emergency alert system that could potentially save your life or the life of a loved one. But you go ahead and turn it off. Really, it's fine.

Just don't complain when the cloud of toxic gas from that industrial estate fire settles over your area and you look out the window to see all the neighbours are already gone, houses locked up and the army in full nbc suits are sweeping the area looking for bodies...

If you look long enough there's a conspiracy theory for everything. 

the government have all you details at their fingertips already.....errrr remember covid ?......they could even tell where you were 24 hrs a day within 2 metres...and the names of the people around you

i take it you have an i-phone..?

12 hours ago, Acerforestry said:

The purpose??  Our government and others, are peed off with Putin, so will probably start supplying Ukraine with aircraft etc, which Putin won't like, so things may escalate into something affecting us.  If you're old enough, ask your grandparents what the air-raid sirens were called before the outbreak of WW2. Of course, this is JMHO.

9 hours ago, shaun4860 said:

Being oop Norf, we are being given an emergency pigeon 🐦to carry around in our pockets in case of emergency 

As an aside, my car has an emergency button I can press if I have a crash or end up in a ditch out of view.

Sorted! Technology is a wonderful thing!