Which 17HMR to buy

shawn9914

I'm looking at buying a 17HMR but I'm just not sure what to go for, I have a budget of about £650 for rifle, scope and mod. 

In 22LR I had a Sako finnfire Varmint which was great and wish I'd never sold it, the trigger was very nice. 

I then had a CZ452 in 22LR but found that terrible on the trigger very clunky and apparently it had the trigger kit fitted🤷‍♂️

Thinking of a tikka TX1 or a weihrauch HW66J

What would you buy and why with my budget 

Edited by shawn9914

I bought a new Savage B17 SV FR model (heavy barrel) with a half decent Nikko Stirling scope and ATEC mod on for the £600 mark. Have several 100 rounds through it, bullet on bullet at 100yrds if you do your bit right.

Changed the scope to a Wraith 2-16 NV, works well out to 150yrds easy, with detection past 200yrds, so plenty for the HMR.

Savage Arms Model 93R17 .17 HMR Rifle | Second Hand Guns for Sale | guntrader few on guntrader for idea/examples.

I had the HW 66 and had a few extraction issues (no fun in the dark 🤣). Its a handy rifle but the T1x I have now is so much better. Mounts easy on the sticks,and gives a wide shooting platform. Easy to reload by touch alone. The trigger is sublime and the rifle super accurate (less than 1/2 inch at 100 yds off bags. Bolt is a little rough but should get easier. It's also light which given the NV gear is an added bonus. 

13 minutes ago, Poor Shot said:

When rimfire rifles are considered tools (unlike a fine shotgun) what makes a good rimfire rifle a great one?

If you can get near enough bullet on bullet accuracy from the Tikka, CZ, Browning Tbolt etc.. Why spring any more than £600 - £700 on a rifle?

Depends on your needs. For me large mag ease of use (loading) in the dark was important for night shooting. Wide mount on sticks for stability, ease of taking a rail. Light weight to counter the NV. Positive safety with bolt on the right. Synthetic stock. If its got all of that then you pays your money and take your choice.

On 06/04/2023 at 19:36, shawn9914 said:

I'm looking at buying a 17HMR but I'm just not sure what to go for, I have a budget of about £650 for rifle, scope and mod. 

In 22LR I had a Sako finnfire Varmint which was great and wish I'd never sold it, the trigger was very nice. 

I then had a CZ452 in 22LR but found that terrible on the trigger very clunky and apparently it had the trigger kit fitted🤷‍♂️

Thinking of a tikka TX1 or a weihrauch HW66J

What would you buy and why with my budget 

Would you not think of going back to the 22lr the reason I’m asking is I had a 17hmr when they first arrived on these shores and personally I never liked it my personal various reasons due to Lamping in high winds etc and went back to the 22lr 

9 hours ago, Gerry78 said:

Would you not think of going back to the 22lr the reason I’m asking is I had a 17hmr when they first arrived on these shores and personally I never liked it my personal various reasons due to Lamping in high winds etc and went back to the 22lr 

Thought about a 22lr but just fancy a 17HMR this time around 

23 hours ago, Gerry78 said:

They are very different!!!!!!!!!!!!  I simply don't see it as either/or!!

I use .22LR, HMR and WMR, whilst there are areas of overlap, they are different tools and do different jobs.  I need them all, and wouldn't be without any!!

PS. and whilst HMR has a reputation for wind drift, the .22Lr is actually worse, but never seems to get a bad press for it!!!

12 minutes ago, Dekers said:

They are very different!!!!!!!!!!!!  I simply don't see it as either/or!!

I use .22LR, HMR and WMR, whilst there are areas of overlap, they are different tools and do different jobs.  I need them all, and wouldn't be without any!!

PS. and whilst HMR has a reputation for wind drift, the .22Lr is actually worse, but never seems to get a bad press for it!!!

Valid point but in my experience I’ve never had a problem shooting the 22lr in high winds They only downside I see with the 22lr is there more prone to ricocheting But as you said all rimfires have there place I’m happy just using the 22 hopefully Shawn gets sorted 👍👍

3 hours ago, hwr said:

NB always check .17 ammo before use.

Second this. IMO I would avoid Winchester 17hmr ammo in 20gn and 17gn, split cases, had a few left over and used them up yesterday,accuracy was all over the place, has a rim blow out on firing pin strike.

Federal or Hornady (I believe all are made by CCI except for Winchester) are bang on.