Security camera

bluesj

Feo has made a suggestion that I fit a camera that sends a notification to my phone if anyone goes near my cabinets,  I think I know what i need but not 100% sure.

I have an android phone and sky fiber broadband with a sky wifi hub. Will one of these do the job.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/blink-indoor-white-wireless-smart-camera-kit-1-1080p-indoor-camera/907pg#product_additional_details_container  

Do i need one that comes with a smart hub or will the sky hub do the job.

Would rather not have to pay for a service subscription.

thanks in advance

4 minutes ago, bluesj said:

Feo has made a suggestion that I fit a camera that sends a notification to my phone if anyone goes near my cabinets,  I think I know what i need but not 100% sure.

I have an android phone and sky fiber broadband with a sky wifi hub. Will one of these do the job.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/blink-indoor-white-wireless-smart-camera-kit-1-1080p-indoor-camera/907pg#product_additional_details_container  

Do i need one that comes with a smart hub or will the sky hub do the job.

Would rather not have to pay for a service subscription.

thanks in advance

I would ask him where in the guidance it states that this is recommended.

2 minutes ago, discobob said:

I think that would be 2.18 .C of the firearms security handbook 2020.

But a camera its easier and cheaper than an alarm system.

51 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

How has your FEO justified his request for a camera?

Is it because you have a lot of guns or do you live in a dodgy area?

There have been a few posts maybe pointing to weather the feo is over stepping the mark with the request for a camera, I don't think he is.

Edited by bluesj

I've got a 4 camera 1080p system (Swann) system around the house and like all  camera systems it is a bit of a waste of time....because it is very unlikely that you are going to be watching the monitor when events are happening. OK you can review the event and watch the event happen.  BUT WHO ARE THEY.....?  A plod once told me that some of the shops in town had perfect facial images of shoplifters but nothing could be done because they had no idea who the people were or where they came from The next issue is the positioning of the camera/s.  Most people put them high up like on a roof but all you see is the top of the person's head. The  next really major problem is that you aren't allowed to film outside of your boundary.... although lots do.   This all comes under the data protection act and comes under the information commissioners Office.  Most people and businesses don't know or care about this   but  any video gathered wouldn't be admissible in law and it could result in any case being thrown out.  There are rules to  follow such as the reason for filming eg security and there has to be a nominated person to be in charge and have access to the material for a limited period of time.  The cameras, system and a nominated peron have to be registered with the information Commissioners office for which there is an annual fee.  Still it's handy to see who's ringing the door bell. I  know all of this because we had a  nosy neighbour who set up a camera looking in outbedroom window.....  BOTH the council AND THE POLICE said without any thought or reference " YES HE CAN FILM ANYTHING HE LIKES.... UNTIL I enformed them of the rules and subsequently after taking advice plod came round and made him take it down ... with a warning that if he put it back up he would be committing an offence.  I did offer the bloke to come  round to watch me get undressed  but he didn't take me up on the offer.  You can cast the footage to your phone and you'd be able to Watch a possibly anonymous person / people breaking or thieving from you.  Sad state of affairs. 

Edited by Minky

37 minutes ago, Minky said:

I've got a 4 camera 1080p system (Swann) system around the house and like all  camera systems it is a bit of a waste of time....because it is very unlikely that you are going to be watching the monitor when events are happening. OK you can review the event and watch the event happen.  BUT WHO ARE THEY.....?  A plod once told me that some of the shops in town had perfect facial images of shoplifters but nothing could be done because they had no idea who the people were or where they came from The next issue is the positioning of the camera/s.  Most people put them high up like on a roof but all you see is the top of the person's head. The  next really major problem is that you aren't allowed to film outside of your boundary.... although lots do.   This all comes under the data protection act and comes under the information commissioners Office.  Most people and businesses don't know or care about this   but  any video gathered wouldn't be admissible in law and it could result in any case being thrown out.  There are rules to  follow such as the reason for filming eg security and there has to be a nominated person to be in charge and have access to the material for a limited period of time.  The cameras, system and a nominated peron have to be registered with the information Commissioners office for which there is an annual fee.  Still it's handy to see who's ringing the door bell. I  know all of this because we had a  nosy neighbour who set up a camera looking in outbedroom window.....  BOTH the council AND THE POLICE said without any thought or reference " YES HE CAN FILM ANYTHING HE LIKES.... UNTIL I enformed them of the rules and subsequently after taking advice plod came round and made him take it down ... with a warning that if he put it back up he would be committing an offence.  I did offer the bloke to come  round to watch me get undressed  but he didn't take me up on the offer.  You can cast the footage to your phone and you'd be able to Watch a possibly anonymous person / people breaking or thieving from you.  Sad state of affairs. 

Spot on.

Most scrotes pull scarves over their faces anyway, when they are up to no good. Even the good, clear facial image, as my daughter's camera took when the thieves burgled her house, was no use, as no-one recognised the offender.

30 minutes ago, Cosmicblue said:

The Amazon Blink camera devices have a free trial period and then require a subscription fee: https://www.amazon.co.uk/b?ie=UTF8&node=20859596031

That is for cloud storage (I think)

These cameras will have a slot for an SD card and can record locally. 

Obviously this reduces security, but doesn't require a subscription, (as far as I can tell).

I've got two of the outdoor versions of the Blink cameras the op linked to earlier, not a lot of money and very easy to install and set up if you already have wifi.

Alerts to my phone (audible ping) when triggered, the clip is stored on the phone, no subscription.

They weren't asked for, and I'm in a low crime area, but they give me peace of mind.

When the front camera picked up what looked like suspicious activity (it turned out to be innocent), while I was sat at my desk at work an hour away, a 101 call had the police round in 10 minutes.

I feel a lot happier for having them.

Holy moly.!  10. Minutes.   At work we had some serious break inside.  And generally all we got was issued with a crime Number to give to the insurance and a couple of times they did come out about 3 days later and talk silly nonsense.  One plod said that he had only come out because someone was off sick so there was a motor spare.   Total waste of  space and ratepayers resources.  Especially if there was a possibly of caravan  club involvement.

Edited by Minky

On 26/05/2023 at 18:06, discobob said:

THIS  ???

I prefer to spend my money on keeping them out of my property in the first place.

Edited by Westley

4 hours ago, Minky said:

Holy moly.!  10. Minutes.

Yes, I was shocked too, we're semi rural and I could see the police on the camera when they arrived.

I did stress to the operator that I was concerned as there were licenced firearms on the premises, they said a unit was on it's way while I was still on the phone.

I got a follow up call to explain what the officers had found, I really couldn't fault the Police response.

Maybe I was just lucky that day.

9 hours ago, Wymondley said:

Maybe I was just lucky that day.

I had a very similar experience last week. A property development site of mine has three cheap TP Link Tapo cameras on (as mentioned by someone else as being dirt-cheap on Amazon). I have them set up to send me notifications when they detect a human between 6pm and 7am.

Last week at 6:30pm I had a ping to say someone was in the yard and when I viewed the live footage on my phone I could see two people emptying a skip. Not recognising them and seeing all the trades vans gone I sounded an alarm on the camera which they looked at and ignored and then I called 999. Ordinarily I might not have but the site is full of expensive materials.

Within four minutes I had four police cars with blues and twos in the yard!

So, my advice is to get one of the cheap TP-Link Tapo C310 cameras. Brilliant kit and so simple to use.

As an aside, the advice about not filming outside your property is incorrect, as is the need for a private individual to register with the ICO; that only applies to non-personal operators. You also cannot invade someone’s privacy without good reason (hence filming someone’s bedroom isn’t legal). However, if your camera extends beyond your boundary into a neighbours property, because (for example) the camera is covering your driveway and captures the house across the street, that’s ok. Common decency would say you would mask out their windows and door so it isn’t recorded (standard functionality on all camera systems) and you would be within the guidance of the ICO.

question I have - related to cameras is this. Are any of them good enough to capture speeding cars. We have an issue on our lane which is an active travel route (footpath, cycleway etc) as well as being single track where we have certain residents at the top of the lane tanking up it at >50mph

The lane has many obscured entries from the side where people can come out of with very little warning. Plus we reverse onto the lane from our drive and there is an element of risk there for us....

I have tried a camera - that by the time it activates the car is already gone - and I don't fancy spending my time trawling through 24 hours of footage to try and find that 1 second the car is visible for (I have tried it)

Speeding seems to be the 'norm' now and it appears to be quite acceptable. 50mph is the average speed of vehicles on the road where I live, even though the speed limit is 20mph. We have had a few collisions, one of which resulted in 2 written off vehicles and someone's garden wall demolished. Amazing how much damage can occur at 20 mph  ?

As with a lot of things, there is advice/guidance/best practice and legal requirements. I would think that this is just a suggestion from the FEO. Not sure why so many people are up in arms about it.

Personally, the more security, the better. Yes - the intruders may not be identifiable, but if you get a real time alert that they are up to no good, you can at least try to deal with it. 

I have several cameras for other reasons and they do a good job. 1080HD 24/7 recording to SD card or a HDD recorder if desired. Text/email alerts. Motion detection recording, night vision and other widgets. Some are fixed and some are PTZ (pan, tilt, zoom) so you can move them remotely.

For what I want them to do, they work really well and give an element of peace of mind.

They also has no subscription services.

There are loads to choose from and you don't need to spend a fortune. 

11 hours ago, discobob said:

question I have - related to cameras is this. Are any of them good enough to capture speeding cars. We have an issue on our lane which is an active travel route (footpath, cycleway etc) as well as being single track where we have certain residents at the top of the lane tanking up it at >50mph

The lane has many obscured entries from the side where people can come out of with very little warning. Plus we reverse onto the lane from our drive and there is an element of risk there for us....

I have tried a camera - that by the time it activates the car is already gone - and I don't fancy spending my time trawling through 24 hours of footage to try and find that 1 second the car is visible for (I have tried it)

It’s a little pricey but check out a device called Auto Speed Watch. It is essentially a tiny little black speed camera the size of a large box of cook’s matches which you can buy and mount on a pole. You’ll need the local authority’s Highways department to approve it if it’s going on public maintainable highway but nothing stopping you placing it on private land next to the road.

Lots of parish councils around here are buying them and either passing the photos (which include calibrated speed, car registration and time stamp) to the police for follow-up or simply use the photos to name and shame on social media.

Edited by Munzy

50 minutes ago, Munzy said:

It’s a little pricey but check out a device called Auto Speed Watch. It is essentially a tiny little black speed camera the size of a large box of cook’s matches which you can buy and mount on a pole. You’ll need the local authority’s Highways department to approve it if it’s going on public maintainable highway but nothing stopping you placing it on private land next to the road.

Lots of parish councils around here are buying them and either passing the photos (which include calibrated speed, car registration and time stamp) to the police for follow-up or simply use the photos to name and shame on social media.

Had a look - not forking out that much by myself. As I said other residents don’t have a problem with speeding as they are at the top of the lane with no thoroughfare except for foot/bikes