Rolling?

Well folks, I’m looking for ideas on how best to stop this. Probably the first dog out of about 8 or 9 that will roll on something dead.

He goes absolutely daft once he’s rolled on something because he knows he’s done wrong. *But* I don’t want to tell him off once he’s come back in to me. Chasing him would only make it worse and you’d never catch him anyway.

Is it something you can train out of them? On the whole he’s actually very well behaved but scavenging and rolling is his one flaw at the moment.

think yourself lucky.....my black lab Ted......when we were picking up in a grass field behing the gun line...(the field ws full of bullocks put in the day before).....the field was full and i mean full of large squitery sloppy pools of cow poo.......when i let him off to start picking the partridge ...i rekon he rolled in every one...and when i say he was covered ..he was covered about and inch" thick head to foot.......he was deliously happy.......it was singulary bloody awful.....took him back to the farm where i hosed him down..:sick:

All I can say is good luck with it, just wait til he comes across a big pile of fox poo. He will roll it on like a chav applying cheap deodorant. Im sure there's more people on here who have experienced a drive home with their dog covered in it!

My Spaniel took great delight in picking up a dead manky gull at Filey  that I could smell 15 yards away  - me Shouting her to  leave it she dropped it after she saw my scowl at second attempt and proceeded to roll in it - I am sure she would have given me the two fingers if able - so we did tennis ball retrieves in the sea until she stopped stinking like a nacker wagon on hot day !

don’t think you can train it out but mine will stop doing most undesirable things when a tennis ball comes out of the pocket - one of the reasons most of my jackets have one in just in case !

Agriv8

• 1 month later...

My old lab loved rolling in stinking stuff like fox poo . Always rolled in woodcock poo as well and the worst was a long dead seal 🦭 she found on the shore which she coated herself in , aroma lasted weeks despite lots of swimming and hosing down. 
I am not sure you can untrain them rolling 

One of my old collies rolled in a dead sheep. It was absolutely gopping. That was a long walk home with her a good ten yards behind.

All my dogs, especially my whippet, will roll in scat any chance they get. If I see them having a heady sniff I can sometimes stop them in the nick of time. Mostly though, it’s a hose and a wash down when they get home.

We had one of our labs (The yellow one) find a badger latrine, Fox poo is Old Spice compared to that, and you dont get bucket full of fox poo all in one patch like you do badger poo, and what made it worse was we got to the walk in the wife's car. 

1 hour ago, Dougy said:

We had one of our labs (The yellow one) find a badger latrine, Fox poo is Old Spice compared to that, and you dont get bucket full of fox poo all in one patch like you do badger poo, and what made it worse was we got to the walk in the wife's car. 

Yes badger is the stuff ! Like tar too hahahahah

I had a dog that did it a bit - but just managed to catch it before it started once - gave it some NOOOOOOOO

And thankfully - rather unbelievably that was that !

Just got a 9 month old pup - and caught her yesterday dining on fox waste - so may have another issue !

Dogs - got to love them !

10 hours ago, Bigbob said:

My sons lurcher rolled in human poo over the golf course he never said nothing till he got her home tied her up at the outside tap and scrubbed her with a scrubbing brush she was clever enough never to roll in anything again 

Scrubbing brush, water and believe it or not, tomato ketchup. It gets rid of the smell. We keep a bottle handy outside next to the scrubbing brush.

We were shooting pigeons with my flatcoat, with our backs to a pig slurry pit. I sent her for a bird which had dropped far behind us. She came back with the bird and then went back, for what I thought was another bird. No, I was wrong! She came back covered from head to toe with pig slurry with the biggest grin on her face. I had to walk her back to the farm to hose her off before my mate would let her into the Landie.

My old boy Jake loved to roll in dead things, in Scotland he found the dumped entrails of a deer while out hiking they were a few days old, even a swim in a loch didn't get rid of the smell, a whole bottle of tomato sauce was used to get rid of it.

Then he dissapeared into the sand dunes on his favourite beach, he came back covered in a rotting calf, we know it was a calf as he had the lower half of its leg in his mouth.

But his grandest trick was walking along a cliff path when he went round a bend and vanished, i thought he had run off the cliff, but he used his inner mountain goat to go down a 50ft tiny path to a small cove where he had emmersed himself in a rotting seal corpse, now you may thinlk you have smelt some bad things in your time, but believe me when i say a rotting seal is a smell you will never forget,the drive home was 10 miles all windows open ,so much tomato sauce used i thought about buying shares in heinz.

But i miss my old boy.

3 hours ago, welsh1 said:

My old boy Jake loved to roll in dead things, in Scotland he found the dumped entrails of a deer while out hiking they were a few days old, even a swim in a loch didn't get rid of the smell, a whole bottle of tomato sauce was used to get rid of it.

Then he dissapeared into the sand dunes on his favourite beach, he came back covered in a rotting calf, we know it was a calf as he had the lower half of its leg in his mouth.

But his grandest trick was walking along a cliff path when he went round a bend and vanished, i thought he had run off the cliff, but he used his inner mountain goat to go down a 50ft tiny path to a small cove where he had emmersed himself in a rotting seal corpse, now you may thinlk you have smelt some bad things in your time, but believe me when i say a rotting seal is a smell you will never forget,the drive home was 10 miles all windows open ,so much tomato sauce used i thought about buying shares in heinz.

But i miss my old boy.

tomatoe juice works better.......washing my mates dogs when raccoon hunting in florida.....the dogs get skunked sometimes............skunk juice is thee worst....it stops you dead in your tracks......it activates your sick trigger and totally imobilises you...cause you are reching...and hoicking up

On 25/07/2023 at 19:09, welsh1 said:

But i miss my old boy.

That had a tiny tear of laughter, sadness and being a dog parent all rolled into one!

pip my sprocket is definitely worse when coming into or being in season .

Agriv8