Shoot gun certificate renewal.

My ticket ran out in January, I put my renewal in November. I’m currently on temporary certificates and have been told it could be November before I get my new certificates. That is with Cumbria, absolutely shocking. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/06/2023 at 16:27, dead eye alan said:

Applied 13 Feb extension letter 2 weeks ago new certificate today.  Appalling service from Thames valley police!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Better than mine license expired 29th April 

renew letter came through in may dated December ran Thames valley and they said due to the Royal Mail strikes so have to now re apply 

yet they were quick enough to send a email to me saying I’m in unlawful permission and must hand over or put in storage asap 

could they not email out reminders less paper work 🤷🏻‍♂️

12 hours ago, farmboy807 said:

Better than mine license expired 29th April 

renew letter came through in may dated December ran Thames valley and they said due to the Royal Mail strikes so have to now re apply 

yet they were quick enough to send a email to me saying I’m in unlawful permission and must hand over or put in storage asap 

could they not email out reminders less paper work 🤷🏻‍♂️

Why did you not query, contact them before it expired ?  I would have been chasing them 6 weeks before it expired at least.

On 08/07/2023 at 20:55, Lord O War said:

Put my renewal in nice and early, about 10 weeks,  for an August renewal and I got my extension letter ..........

I also put my renewal application - all complete inc. Dr's part in April for renewal due 31st July.  The extension letter arrived today (14th July) giving me 8 weeks extension.

On 09/07/2023 at 20:19, London Best said:

There is NO excuse for not knowing when your certificate expires. 
You can’t be very interested in shooting.

Totally agree.

Unfortunately, due to hectic lifestyles some people rely on having reminders for things like car insurance, tax, MOTs etc. these days but I would have thought a shotgun/firearms certificate renewal would be a high priority especially knowing the tardiness of some constabularies.

As said, no excuse for not remembering shotgun/firearms certificate expiry date.

Given the multiple threads about licence renewal, I am astonished that any shooter wouldn't keep an eye on expiry dates, many months in advance.

It is the responsibility of shooters to act early rather than wait for a reminder.

Edited by Gordon R

7 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Given the multiple threads about licence renewal, I am astonished that any shooter wouldn't keep an eye on expiry dates, many months in advance.

It is the responsibility of shooters to act early rather than wait for a reminder.

Amen to that, it is the shooters responsibility to be on the case, not the issuing Authority.

3 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

That's true, although the various Police forces should provide a reasonable level of service (say 8 weeks).  They will still have the same number of renewals to handle whether it takes 1 week - or 26 weeks delay because you can't go anywhere else.  You have to get it from your local force. 

10 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Mine is due 13th November and I have just sent it in to Staffs & West Mids. I will keep the forum informed on the progress.

2 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

That's true, although the various Police forces should provide a reasonable level of service (say 8 weeks).  They will still have the same number of renewals to handle whether it takes 1 week - or 26 weeks delay because you can't go anywhere else.  You have to get it from your local force. 

Indeed, but as I have previously posted some forces have had a massive amount of work due to allowing renewals to all fall together. Hence Cambridgeshire offering me 2 years and then 5 to bring my renewal to a quieter period.

1 minute ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Hence Cambridgeshire offering me 2 years and then 5 to bring my renewal to a quieter period.

Yes, West Mercia did that to me last time and asked me to renew a year early to avoid delays.  I accepted their request then - and still had a delay of several months (from memory, Feb to July) although of course my 'old cert' had not run out as I was renewing early.  Current application went in (all complete) in April (for expiry end July) - and I have had a letter giving me an 8 week extension.

Chief Constables get big salaries to manage the Force and it's resources to ensure their job gets done in a timely and efficient manner - which isn't going well in the area of renewals and then we have Police and Crime Commissioner - with a team of deputies, managers, board members - all also very well paid - and no one seems to know what they are supposed to do?  Possibly even they don't know what they are supposed to do (apart from claiming a lot of expenses attending conferences)?

• 2 weeks later...

42 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

Is there a maximum time until renewal that one can apply to renew? My pal’s license renewal was delayed due to him not adequately accounting for the medical report timescale, was wants to put his renewal in 4.5 years ahead of the end date…

i'm sure i've read that some forces are saying the medical form is only valid for 6 months.

this would  limit the earliest it may be possible to send forms in.

On 14/07/2023 at 12:51, JohnfromUK said:

I also put my renewal application - all complete inc. Dr's part in April for renewal due 31st July.  The extension letter arrived today (14th July) giving me 8 weeks extension.

To follow up on this, the new certificate arrived today, 29th July, so in fact it was renewed prior to the expiry of the old certificate.  I did have a 'heads up' this was likely as they telephoned me to query an entry on the list of items (and I had made an error) so well done to them (West Mercia) for both finding my accidental mistake and getting the new certificate issued 'on time'.