Haslet

Sussexboy

We got back home yesterday afternoon from a long weekend visiting folk in Stamford. Picked up some haslet from a butchers in town as we had never had it before. It was ok, had it fried for breakfast and thin sliced in a sandwich with piccalilli for lunch. I would eat it again but wouldn’t necessarily seek it out. Is there variation in haslet? Are some makes better than others? Ours came from Nelsons in the town centre.

Blimey, I've not had haslet for maybe 30 years.  I loved the stuff, my mum used to make me haslet and salad cream sandwiches for my school pack up.  I'm sure she bought it from Cooplands the baker - a Yorkshire based chain.  You've got me hankering for some now.

It is my understanding that Lincolnshire haslet is a bit similar to sausagemeat cooked as a 'loaf'.  Maybe a bit like a Lorne sausage.  However, I have also read that in other parts of the country it is made with liver?  Not something I have tried myself.

14 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

TESCO sell it at the Deli counter.

Hello, they do not in Abingdon Tesco Steve, closed the Deli and hot food counters 🤔🙄

1 minute ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, they do not in Abingdon Tesco Steve, closed the Deli and hot food counters 🤔🙄

Mum and I used to make Haslet sarnies 👍

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

46 minutes ago, Ferretlurcher1970 said:

Some butchers do one with offal, is more moist. They pronounce it hazelet in Lincolnshire 

Correct and welcome to! Having a mother and grandmother born and bred in Lincolnshire right on is that! Here is Leicestershire they murder the poor thing and call it "has let" as if someone has just rented out a property on a short lease! It is, indeed, like a shimmering desert HAZE not a just done HAS! I've never know it cooked though! Always cold and with whatever sauce you like your sausages with. My way is with Heinz tomato ketchup but there are those who like it with HP Sauce.

Edited by enfieldspares

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

It is my understanding that Lincolnshire haslet is a bit similar to sausagemeat cooked as a 'loaf'.  Maybe a bit like a Lorne sausage.  However, I have also read that in other parts of the country it is made with liver?  Not something I have tried myself.

The one we got was very sausage meat like in texture.

3 minutes ago, Andy H said:

I like to get the slices when you get more of the baked outer layer on it ,A bit tastier.

Me too. A bit of caul does add a flavour. I cannot abide this wafer thin cut faux haslet they sell in some supermarkets. Haslet needs to be sliced a half an inch thick to get some of that outer layer, the caul, in it.

14 hours ago, Jonty said:

Blimey, I've not had haslet for maybe 30 years.  I loved the stuff, my mum used to make me haslet and salad cream sandwiches for my school pack up.  I'm sure she bought it from Cooplands the baker - a Yorkshire based chain.  You've got me hankering for some now.

Yes I used to get taken to Cooplands in Doncaster as a child and can remember seeing haslet however we never had any though

• 2 months later...