Quick question

snow white

Farm as cut barley loads of crows on it would you take your dog on the stubble I don’t want to hurt her paws with sharp bits sticking up she is nine know so don’t want to hurt her. Think of going in a hours time that’s why quick question 

Thanks for looking 

Edited by snow white

11 minutes ago, London Best said:

But don’t let her pick lively wounded carrion crows.

yep, there is a certain amount of risk for any dog when retrieving Crows, they have a very strong bit and powerful claws, remember walking out to pickup, what I thought was a dead Crow, and as I went down it turned and locked onto my hand with its claws and then attempted to take a chunk out the back of my hand, it managed to draw blood with both beak and claws.

1 minute ago, old'un said:

yep, there is a certain amount of risk for any dog when retrieving Crows, they have a very strong bit and powerful claws, remember walking out to pickup, what I thought was a dead Crow, and as I went down it turned and locked onto my hand with its claws and then attempted to take a chunk out the back of my hand, it managed to draw blood with both beak and claws.

Not to mention the possibility of the dog losing an eye.

Hi lads thanks for your quick reply’s I will be taking her out with me but I never send her out on wounded crows as our other dog picked up what I thought was stone dead in the air when I sent her to pick up it was still very much alive and it locked on to her ear and would not let go I had to strangle it that’s the crow not the dog 

Just now, snow white said:

Hi lads thanks for your quick reply’s I will be taking her out with me but I never send her out on wounded crows as our other dog picked up what I thought was stone dead in the air when I sent her to pick up it was still very much alive and it locked on to her ear and would not let go I had to strangle it that’s the crow not the dog 

you better get going….your hour is up.:)

2 minutes ago, cardigun said:

My old dog used to pick up wounded crows. He had a technique, where he walked round behind them, knocked them over, and then picked them up. Experience.

Yes im always a bit wary - but any quarry can inflict damage to a dog - think spurs on a cock pheasant or the wings on a goose - or the bite of a hare or rabbit 

4 hours ago, old'un said:

you better get going….your hour is up.

That’s what I was thinking. Just stick to jackdaws OP, and you’ll be fine. 👍

My Border used to dance around pricked corvids until she got her chance to pounce! Then she would carry them back playing them like a squeaky toy! 😀

3 hours ago, cardigun said:

My old dog used to pick up wounded crows. He had a technique, where he walked round behind them, knocked them over, and then picked them up. Experience.

dont forget ...your dog needs to be "lucky" EVERY SINGLE PICKUP.........a wounded corvid only needs to be lucky ONCE.........

23 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

I run my spaniel  over what and barely  stubbes and through the crop as it stands .

The one I'm most wary of is rape stubbles .

Exactly the same , mind you , working your dog over any stubble hold a certain amount of risk , but come to that anything to do with retrieving hold a certain amount of risk . a part of the package by being a working gun dog owner .

On 21/07/2023 at 20:03, Ultrastu said:

I run my spaniel  over what and barely  stubbes and through the crop as it stands .

The one I'm most wary of is rape stubbles .

rape stubbles can be evil...especially to humans that fall over and get impaled.......yup it does happen