Something to seal gutter leaks from the underside?

sandspider

Hi all

I'm wondering if there's something available that will really seal leaks in gutters, but from the underside. Some sort of patch to stick over the leaking joins perhaps?

The gutters on our house are a bit of a bodge, joined with silicone rather than rubber seals, screw holes at joins, a shoddy job. But quotes to replace the worst bit start at £800 and aren't affordable. I've had the odd "roofer" out to patch them up, and all they've done is slopped silicone where they can reach, and put a lining of fibreglass in one area - that also leaks as they didnlt clear it out beforehand. It's made more difficult as the roof sheets reach almost to the edge of the gutter on corners, so getting into the gutter from above to do a proper job is hard. If I clean the silicon off the bottom of the gutter where it leaks at the joins is there anything I can stick on the bottom that will stop the leaks?

Thanks.

Get some ABS plastic (cut into tiny pieces - ABS 3d printing filament is ideal)

And some 100% acetone.

Fill a small glass jar with the ABS bits and just cover with acetone. 

Leave overnight with lid on until all the ABS has dissolved. Pour away any excess clear acetone and you’re left with a toothpaste-consistency molten plastic, which you can push into the cracks. It will harden in no time as the acetone quickly evaporates.

27 minutes ago, millrace said:

No! is the honest simple answer.....everything other than new will be a bodge!!

Yes my thoughts as well , anything done from underneath have only got a very small lifespan and then you are back from where you have started , the op stated that various roofers had been round to patch it up and they don't do it for nothing so time you add up the cost it will soon be cheaper to have it renewed , labour wise it is not a very big job , although that depend on access to the old guttering , if done properly then the op haven't got to worry about it again for a while .

By the sound of it the op is talking about O Gee guttering , this now come in various colours so when finished there is no need to paint and is more or less maintenance free.

2 hours ago, humperdingle said:

Get some ABS plastic (cut into tiny pieces - ABS 3d printing filament is ideal)

And some 100% acetone.

Fill a small glass jar with the ABS bits and just cover with acetone. 

Leave overnight with lid on until all the ABS has dissolved. Pour away any excess clear acetone and you’re left with a toothpaste-consistency molten plastic, which you can push into the cracks. It will harden in no time as the acetone quickly evaporates.

Hello, sounds a good idea, have you fixed guttering like this ?

Hello, profiled I presume are not the standard gutter system ?

1 hour ago, yickdaz said:

Ct1   sand the the two edges first with fine grit sandpaper before sticking  comes in all colours white,  grey, clear, black etc not cheap about £12 a tube but the best stuff I've ever used 

CT1-Large-TRIBRID-MIB-e1618395842929.jpg.4ed8e238eaf4c3024d3f53e8f1315c6f.jpg

Bloody good gear that.

Thanks for the suggestions, gang. Ogee guttering sounds right, pic attached. Which also shows the problem. I don't think new seals will do it given the screw holes.

Will look at the various suggestions. I don't think I'm up to taking the whole lot off really, plus it's screwed directly to wood so I fear what I might find! Laying waterproof tape into the gutter might work if I can clean it out and dry it and get the tape in under the overhanging roof sheets...

IMG_20230802_152050_copy_1000x750.jpg.a19f489d5d90f3f175b4644f793ff2f1.jpg

34 minutes ago, sandspider said:

Thanks for the suggestions, gang. Ogee guttering sounds right, pic attached. Which also shows the problem. I don't think new seals will do it given the screw holes.

Will look at the various suggestions. I don't think I'm up to taking the whole lot off really, plus it's screwed directly to wood so I fear what I might find! Laying waterproof tape into the gutter might work if I can clean it out and dry it and get the tape in under the overhanging roof sheets...

IMG_20230802_152050_copy_1000x750.jpg.a19f489d5d90f3f175b4644f793ff2f1.jpg

Thats a little bit more fancy than just ogee ! Now we can see it, are those fixings part of the kit ? I'm positive they are, and can advise of a way forward which wouldn't cost a fortune and would work way better than adhesives/sealants.

I'll send you a PM later this evening 😉

The guttering was more than likely made for ,or by the glazing company that installed the conservatory , t b h you will be repairing it for evermore , if it is plastic then it expand in the heat and subtract in the cold , it also look like the joint rubber is perished and is well past the sell by date , you have got access if the various repair guys have been up there to ( try ) and stop it leaking , the longer you leave it you will be creating other problems with damp , without seeing it , if you have got access to get a ladder up to all the old guttering then it shouldn't cost nowhere near £800 .

If I was asked to do the repair I would told the house owner it is only a temporary repair and will need replacing as soon as possible , this then cover me when it start to leak again , which it will at some stage .