Can anyone help me with a query about covid test.

30-6

Just done another and showed up correctly two proper lines. Bit gutted as I have had to cancel a rhematology appointment for tomorrow, and I need to see them.

Like my old farmer friend used to say though " there's plenty of people up the cemetery would change places with you ".

21 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

Friends just returned from holiday Greece; both down with Covid now.  Apparently rife.

Hi John

I would say from this year covid is beginning to slot into the early onset winter prevalence alongside the other common seasonal illness such as influenza, gastroenteritis, rsv viruses (croup) adenovirus and rhinovirus being the most common cold among a few others. There will be plenty of people with covid in the next few months and for most it will symptomise as cold or mild flu like symptoms for the duration of the illness. I have seen the odd person through summer with a +tve LFT covid test, non whom fortunately required any antiviral, antibiiotic or supportive management apart from simple advice that was readily available with common sense. Last few weeks starting to see plenty who have tested +tve with home covid LFT tests. 

For far, far fewer, covid may symptomise as moderate to severe flu like symptoms and 'flatten' the individual giving them a rotten episode, it may also for a very, very small percent produce complications such as pneumonia, vte/dvt/pe (clots in the blood that travel to certain areas or organs) Acute coronary syndrome (ACS) heart attack or unstable angina, (ARDS) acute respiratory distress, sepsis, kidney or liver injury. It must be borne in mind that for most people in society they will not develop any complications and simple self home management will be all that they will have reqiured with drinking plenty and use of otc anytipyretics/analgesia (paracetamol or brufen if safe to take). The acute phase of pre and post infection symptoms may last from as litle as a few days up to around three months with symptoms such as asnosmia (loss of taste or smell) cough, shortness of breath, chest pain, malaise, corzyl symptoms (tickly throat, runny nose) to name a few.

For covid symptoms that continue to be experienced after three months this may be deemed as long covid. There are now NHS clinics that assess for long covid, however, there is no one single specific clinical targeted test that gives a definitive diagnosis of long covid. The focus is on excluding other causes and the diagnosis is made on exclusion criteria of other pathology, taking into acccount previous bloods, xray as part of the referral and other clinical diagnosic interventions that the patient may have undergone previously. The clinics offer support from pulmonary rehab to social prescribing.

The people of highest risk of severe complications are those with significant stage renal or liver disease,  immunosuppressed or on certain medicines or treatments that lower the immunity, people who have congentital organ disorders, some organ transplant individuals, chromosomal disorders, blood disorders such as blood cancers, clotting disorders such as sickle cell, HIV and AIDS and some neurological pathologies such as MND,MS, Huntingdons Disease to name a few.

For those at highest risk of developing complications there are now NHS clinical access pathways that facilitate rapid assessment. Once intial assessment is made the outcomes will vary depending on comorbidities (chronic conditions that the individual has) and the clinical presentation of the patient. Are they short of breath, the severity of malaise, how much urine are they passing are they drinking enough, are they confused,is their skin mottled and also who is at home with them, what support do they have. Other at point of testing is extremely important such as assessment of 02 levels and respiration rate, pulse, temperature and blood pressure and all of these numbers will help to inform the clinical decision whether to manage the individual at home or admit into secondary care (hospital) management and also adjunct bloods to aid diagnosis.

I was recently speaking to a colleague who delivers such a service and this rapid access pathway for avoidance of covid/flu complications, it appears to have been very successful in reduction of mortality and morbidity. It also has reduced admission avoidance to hospital in terms of disease prevalence attributed to Novel covid and flu. The pathway aims to deliver in home (where clinically appropriate) initial assessment and depending on clinical presentation the patient may be given intravenous antivirals, fluid support at home or referred into secondary care for management.

Regarding the exacerbations of upper and lower respiratory viral and bacterial infections we are starting to see the increasing amounts of babies, children, adults and older adults with the seasonal stuff. Asthma exacerbations and rhinnitis always common through the year as seasonal changes but autumn onset and winter generally increase circulation presentations as such is the same with copd, croup etc. The large surge of strep we saw in kids last year has really settled down now, monkey pox is a long distant memory and never saw what would deem to have been a single case. Have diagnosed a few cases of measles of late and there has been an uptick in uk due to pausing of imms programmes and societal changes in relation to cultural beliefs towards vaccination and also decreased health protection from global movements. 

The information above does not constitute medical advice. 😄

atb

7diaw

6 hours ago, 30-6 said:

Just done another and showed up correctly two proper lines. Bit gutted as I have had to cancel a rhematology appointment for tomorrow, and I need to see them.

Like my old farmer friend used to say though " there's plenty of people up the cemetery would change places with you ".

Were you asked to test prior to your appointment date and cancel if it proved positive? 

23 minutes ago, 7daysinaweek said:

Hi John

I would say from this year covid is beginning to slot into the early onset winter prevalence alongside the other common seasonal illness such as influenza, gastroenteritis, rsv viruses (croup) adenovirus and rhinovirus being the most common cold among a few others. There will be plenty of people with covid in the next few months and for most it will symptomise as cold or mild flu like symptoms for the duration of the illness. I have seen the odd person through summer with a +tve LFT covid test, non whom fortunately required any antiviral, antibiiotic or supportive management apart from simple advice that was readily available with common sense. Last few weeks starting to see plenty who have tested +tve with home covid LFT tests. 

For far, far fewer, covid may symptomise as moderate to severe flu like symptoms and 'flatten' the individual giving them a rotten episode, it may also for a very, very small percent produce complications such as pneumonia, vte/dvt/pe (clots in the blood that travel to certain areas or organs) Acute coronary syndrome (ACS) heart attack or unstable angina, (ARDS) acute respiratory distress, sepsis, kidney or liver injury. It must be borne in mind that for most people in society they will not develop any complications and simple self home management will be all that they will have reqiured with drinking plenty and use of otc anytipyretics/analgesia (paracetamol or brufen if safe to take). The acute phase of pre and post infection symptoms may last from as litle as a few days up to around three months with symptoms such as asnosmia (loss of taste or smell) cough, shortness of breath, chest pain, malaise, corzyl symptoms (tickly throat, runny nose) to name a few.

For covid symptoms that continue to be experienced after three months this may be deemed as long covid. There are now NHS clinics that assess for long covid, however, there is no one single specific clinical targeted test that gives a definitive diagnosis of long covid. The focus is on excluding other causes and the diagnosis is made on exclusion criteria of other pathology, taking into acccount previous bloods, xray as part of the referral and other clinical diagnosic interventions that the patient may have undergone previously. The clinics offer support from pulmonary rehab to social prescribing.

The people of highest risk of severe complications are those with significant stage renal or liver disease,  immunosuppressed or on certain medicines or treatments that lower the immunity, people who have congentital organ disorders, some organ transplant individuals, chromosomal disorders, blood disorders such as blood cancers, clotting disorders such as sickle cell, HIV and AIDS and some neurological pathologies such as MND,MS, Huntingdons Disease to name a few.

For those at highest risk of developing complications there are now NHS clinical access pathways that facilitate rapid assessment. Once intial assessment is made the outcomes will vary depending on comorbidities (chronic conditions that the individual has) and the clinical presentation of the patient. Are they short of breath, the severity of malaise, how much urine are they passing are they drinking enough, are they confused,is their skin mottled and also who is at home with them, what support do they have. Other at point of testing is extremely important such as assessment of 02 levels and respiration rate, pulse, temperature and blood pressure and all of these numbers will help to inform the clinical decision whether to manage the individual at home or admit into secondary care (hospital) management and also adjunct bloods to aid diagnosis.

I was recently speaking to a colleague who delivers such a service and this rapid access pathway for avoidance of covid/flu complications, it appears to have been very successful in reduction of mortality and morbidity. It also has reduced admission avoidance to hospital in terms of disease prevalence attributed to Novel covid and flu. The pathway aims to deliver in home (where clinically appropriate) initial assessment and depending on clinical presentation the patient may be given intravenous antivirals, fluid support at home or referred into secondary care for management.

Regarding the exacerbations of upper and lower respiratory viral and bacterial infections we are starting to see the increasing amounts of babies, children, adults and older adults with the seasonal stuff. Asthma exacerbations and rhinnitis always common through the year as seasonal changes but autumn onset and winter generally increase circulation presentations as such is the same with copd, croup etc. The large surge of strep we saw in kids last year has really settled down now, monkey pox is a long distant memory and never saw what would deem to have been a single case. Have diagnosed a few cases of measles of late and there has been an uptick in uk due to pausing of imms programmes and societal changes in relation to cultural beliefs towards vaccination and also decreased health protection from global movements. 

The information above does not constitute medical advice. 😄

atb

7diaw

Thank you for a very informative post. Fortunately my friends have just a very heavy cold type of illness.  It was suggested that they test by a doctor who we both shoot clays with as he has seen many cases recently especially those returning from holidays.  My friends (husband and wife) were both surprised to test positive as they believed they had colds.  They obviously don’t want to pass it on to anyone at greater risk, so are staying home.

Yes, a very good post, full of information. Thank you. 7diaw.

Scully - No, I was not asked to pre test, I happened to have a package of test kits sent to me as apparently I can get some free as I take a weekly injection that lowers my immune system. I phoned the rheumatology department and am going to get a phone call instead, I prefer a face to face but better than nothing. It was literally coincidence that I went ill and the test kits arrived.

5 minutes ago, 30-6 said:

Yes, a very good post, full of information. Thank you. 7diaw.

Scully - No, I was not asked to pre test, I happened to have a package of test kits sent to me as apparently I can get some free as I take a weekly injection that lowers my immune system. I phoned the rheumatology department and am going to get a phone call instead, I prefer a face to face but better than nothing. It was literally coincidence that I went ill and the test kits arrived.

Up to you of course, and I’m not having a pop, but personally I’d have kept the appointment. Appointments are hard enough to get and there’s no requirement to test, not even for hospital appointments.

I genuinely believe some have been almost indoctrinated into paranoia by the treatment of the pandemic, and we need to get back to normal for everyone’s sake.
I hope all turns out well for you.

To be truthfulI was tempted to just attend, but it's a dedicated clinic, and apart from government cutbacks ,( of which they had no say ), they have been good for me.

I have been treated by them from 1990 to date, and had regular intense physiotherapy from 1990 to 2016. Again government cutbacks ******** that up. But they still do outpatient clinics, although it's gone from 3 monthly to 12 monthly.

As a dedicated clinic with over 30 patients in my group that were like family ( well most of them ), and being an honest person, I took the decision to fess up.

9 hours ago, 30-6 said:

To be truthfulI was tempted to just attend, but it's a dedicated clinic, and apart from government cutbacks ,( of which they had no say ), they have been good for me.

I have been treated by them from 1990 to date, and had regular intense physiotherapy from 1990 to 2016. Again government cutbacks ******** that up. But they still do outpatient clinics, although it's gone from 3 monthly to 12 monthly.

As a dedicated clinic with over 30 patients in my group that were like family ( well most of them ), and being an honest person, I took the decision to fess up.

Fair enough. 

On 04/09/2023 at 20:43, Scully said:

I genuinely believe some have been almost indoctrinated into paranoia by the treatment of the pandemic, and we need to get back to normal for everyone’s sake.

This, this and this.

I still see folk on the train commute, wearing face nappies. Indoctrination is the right word, but I guess that's what Klaus and his buddies want.

1 hour ago, Penelope said:

This, this and this.

I still see folk on the train commute, wearing face nappies. Indoctrination is the right word, but I guess that's what Klaus and his buddies want.

I think it must be a defence mechanism or some form of spectrum-led need to see things in terms of black and white.

Either way, 314'000 people died last year whilst on a waiting list, >7m people are currently on an NHS waiting list, and the average age of deaths for COVID still in the 80s.  Anyone in doubt that spending $400 billion to pay people to stay at home and not work, turning the NHS into the NCS, not to mention screwing up a generation of kids...I genuinely don't know what to tell them.  To pretend lockdowns were not madness is, at this point, is nothing short of delusional.

2 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

I think it must be a defence mechanism or some form of spectrum-led need to see things in terms of black and white.

Either way, 314'000 people died last year whilst on a waiting list, >7m people are currently on an NHS waiting list, and the average age of deaths for COVID still in the 80s.  Anyone in doubt that spending $400 billion to pay people to stay at home and not work, turning the NHS into the NCS, not to mention screwing up a generation of kids...I genuinely don't know what to tell them.  To pretend lockdowns were not madness is, at this point, is nothing short of delusional.

It's truly frightening what is going on.

People need to wake up and smell the coffee - our politeriat are not our friends, indeed, they are our enemies. The government and civil service has been infiltrated over years by marxist ideology from non-elected global organisations. They are nothing more than fifth columnists and should be done for treason. The trouble is that Charlie is well in on it as well - as is William

On 06/09/2023 at 13:49, Penelope said:

This, this and this.

They are called masks, would you describe a surgeon wearing a mask as wearing a face nappy. But why do you care what people do or don't do.

On 06/09/2023 at 18:27, Penelope said:

It's truly frightening what is going on.

In what way frightening 🤔