BASC tips on home loading your own shotgun cartridges

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Are any of these tips for loading steel with fibre wads in small bore calibers 

just curious as they would be useful 🤔

Traditional fibre wads would allow the steel shot to contact the barrel and chokes so really not a good idea.

Currently and probably for a long time only bismuth shot is viable for the small gauges, 28 .410 even if a biodegradable wad becomes available it’s very questionable as to how practical the cartridge would be with the need to go up two diameters in shot size for steel shot.

I think the article should mention that component parts can be hard to get hold of which causes problems if you need to follow a recipe exactly. 

I'll second the request for small bore loading tips, especially steel / TSS in a .410 where there's no European wad available (that I know of) and the US wads have not been in stock for ages.

Edited by Windswept

25 minutes ago, rbrowning2 said:

Traditional fibre wads would allow the steel shot to contact the barrel and chokes so really not a good idea.

Currently and probably for a long time only bismuth shot is viable for the small gauges, 28 .410 even if a biodegradable wad becomes available it’s very questionable as to how practical the cartridge would be with the need to go up two diameters in shot size for steel shot.

Many thanks for your reply 

I clicked the link and saw the loading was for 8 and 10 bore all stuff I’m familiar with big heavy guns built for big loads 

I don’t require a load to shoot two geese I would prefer a usable comfortable load to shoot 25 to 35 yard partridges and for them to be edible afterwards 

I was hoping Basc was a little more proactive and he’d commissioned some usable data for non toxic loads for small bores or a viable loading for 2.1/2 inch chamber guns 

possibly sourcing components for sale to there members 

14 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Many thanks for your reply 

I clicked the link and saw the loading was for 8 and 10 bore all stuff I’m familiar with big heavy guns built for big loads 

I don’t require a load to shoot two geese I would prefer a usable comfortable load to shoot 25 to 35 yard partridges and for them to be edible afterwards 

I was hoping Basc was a little more proactive and he’d commissioned some usable data for non toxic loads for small bores or a viable loading for 2.1/2 inch chamber guns 

possibly sourcing components for sale to there members 

limited load data for non toxic shot is about, a lot is American then however as windswept states availability of components at this time is very challenging and from what I am told not likely to improve for quite some time.

Not sure what BASC hoped to achieve by publishing the article at this time, especially as they appear to be totally out of touch with the component availability at this time.

however a few useful links, suppliers

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/loadoftheweekarchive.htm

https://www.claygame.co.uk

http://www.####,co.uk

Edited by rbrowning2

What a well written piece.  What else would we expect from basic. 😃

Now my father used a bike spoke to knock the primers out and wood blocks and a wad cutter on FELT to make wads.  Needs must when the devil drives.  Still  nowadays I use 3 different MEC  loaders in 28, 20 and 12.  Although I don't use the 12 much.

5 minutes ago, rbrowning2 said:

limited load data for non toxic shot is about, a lot is American then however as windswept states availability of components at this time is very challenging and from what I am told not likely to improve for quite some time.

Not sure what BASC hoped to achieve by publishing the article at this time, especially as they appear to be totally out of touch with the component availability at this time.

however a few useful links, suppliers

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/loadoftheweekarchive.htm

https://www.claygame.co.uk

http://www.####,co.uk

What else would we expect from basic.  No change there. Total waste of space. 

7 minutes ago, Minky said:

What else would we expect from basic.  No change there. Total waste of space. 

Not trying to turn this into a BASC bashing however reading hear and on another forum it is concerning as i say how out of touch they are with shooting for the average working person, you would think before publishing such an article they would contact probably at this time the last two component suppliers we have or even a quick google would give concern.

IMG_3165.jpeg

1 hour ago, Old farrier said:

Are any of these tips for loading steel with fibre wads in small bore calibers 

just curious as they would be useful 🤔

You wouldn’t be loading steel with fibre anyway. Will stay that way until we get a suitable eco wad for home loads in any bore. The only small bore non toxic loading I am doing is tss in the 28 bore and those wouldn’t be wasted on low partridges. I have sourced all components despite all the gloom and doom. Speaking to a pal this morning he had used tss in his 28 on high pheasant with good effect but I hate to think of the cost.

Realistically most of the people I know are only loading for big bore or wildfowling loads in any event and Chris is on the wildfowling team.

14 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

You wouldn’t be loading steel with fibre anyway. Will stay that way until we get a suitable eco wad for home loads in any bore. The only small bore non toxic loading I am doing is tss in the 28 bore and those wouldn’t be wasted on low partridges. I have sourced all components despite all the gloom and doom. Speaking to a pal this morning he had used tss in his 28 on high pheasant with good effect but I hate to think of the cost.

Realistically most of the people I know are only loading for big bore or wildfowling loads in any event and Chris is on the wildfowling team.

Well I have a load for my 12 that’s fibre using a fibre shot cup with steel shot 2.1/2 inch it’s not especially good and certainly not a 40 yard cartridge but adequate for the lower ground shooting and just about cost effective 

agree components are a major issue for non toxic loads 

7 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Well I have a load for my 12 that’s fibre using a fibre shot cup with steel shot 2.1/2 inch it’s not especially good and certainly not a 40 yard cartridge but adequate for the lower ground shooting and just about cost effective 

agree components are a major issue for non toxic loads 

Yes fibre shot ups are the answer in 12 bore and larger. I Use them in 12, 10, and 8 although the latter use ITM and they are fine if you have a good obturator wad under them. They are though too bulky in smaller bores which is why we need development in these bores before any transition from lead.

2 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

Yes fibre shot ups are the answer in 12 bore and larger. I Use them in 12, 10, and 8 although the latter use ITM and they are fine if you have a good obturator wad under them. They are though too bulky in smaller bores which is why we need development in these bores before any transition from lead.

Totally agree 

maybe some of the money members put into Basc would be better spent on development of the new biodegradable wad’s to shoot the game with than the money spent trying to sell it 

just my thoughts 

seems that if they don’t apart from the damage to gun values they have created the options for many shooters will be more than limited and totally unaffordable 

2 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Totally agree 

maybe some of the money members put into Basc would be better spent on development of the new biodegradable wad’s to shoot the game with than the money spent trying to sell it 

just my thoughts 

seems that if they don’t apart from the damage to gun values they have created the options for many shooters will be more than limited and totally unaffordable 

Surely that was the goal from the outset. 

It was never about lead or plastic far easier to make it unaffordable for most and reduce gun ownership. 

There's more lead and plastics put in the ground daily than we could ever put there. 

5 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

I've had choke scoring even through quarter choke - they're not good enough, they're nowhere near the performance of a normal HDPE wad

I'm not qualified to comment on the technicalities of shotgun reloading as I only do it for rifle, but, surely, this is a timely post/thread. The requirement to go up three sizes from lead is a blanket statement and is only necessary if one wants to match the performance of steel to that of lead; even then sometimes a bigger jump is required and occasionally a lesser one will do it. What would complement this nicely and perhaps is an opportune moment would be to update the somewhat dated and inaccurate BASC pattern test procedure.

11 minutes ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

Thanks for the feedback, some good points made (apart from the usual repetitive trite by some of the usual suspects) and I will pass this back to Chris for consideration for a follow-up piece.

Connor, you really must learn to accept this criticism, people really do feel let down.

If you post these videos that really are not very well researched, then the feedback will show this.

There are also a number of non toxic loading forums that are a good source of loading data and materials. You have to remember that, from a pure liability point of view, people are loathe to share data. That is why you need to use manufacturers or suppliers data like Claygame. I once obtained data from a well known writer for Shooting Times. The loads didn’t feel right so I sent a batch to the proof house. I was suitably admonished and politely told not to be so silly in future. The pressures developed in their words were “suitable only as a proof load” and should under no circumstances be used!

3 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Connor, you really must learn to accept this criticism, people really do feel let down.

If you post these videos that really are not very well researched, then the feedback will show this.

They may well feel let down but don’t need to keep telling us at every available opportunity. Surely the point has been made and constant repetition doesn’t make it any stronger; it is just boring!

7 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Ok, so I will repeat the point that some good points have been made (apart from the usual repetitive trite by some of the usual suspects) and I will pass those back to Chris. 

Edited by Conor O'Gorman

38 minutes ago, holloway said:

Not sure its Basc who are out of touch ……Wake up and smell the cofee !

I am not thanks, the EU have two years ago reviewed the use of Lead and have banned it over wetlands in Feb 2023 and nothing else which is what we did many moons ago.  Not a blanket ban in sight.  Why did the UK decide to review Lead use when we were already equal to the EU's revised rules, why would that have stopped trade in Chemicals or was it after dialogue with BASC who have wanted a Lead ban since the days of John Swift.

Quote :

As of today, the 15th of February 2023, using lead shot ammunition in wetlands is illegal in all 27 EU countries, as well as Iceland, Norway, and Lichtenstein. The law comes into force following a 2-year period given to the EU countries to prepare for the change.14 Feb 2023

Edited by Weihrauch17