1st Class Mail

wymberley

5 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

I was all set to post some sarcastic 'get into this century, boomer' comment, telling you to get with the programme, and fill in the form online and pay online, as it's 2023, after all.  But then I thought to myself "I'll just double check D&C's website that you really can submit and pay on....oh wait you can't".

Seriously, D&C, it's 2023.  Keep the printable PDFs online for the dinosaurs if you must, but please have a word with e.g. neigbouring Avon and Somerset, and stop this cleared cheques or postal orders nonsense.

Please don't interfere with D&C as the last thing we need is any unnecessary changes which in the short term could slow things down even more.

Also, I quite enjoy being a dinosaur as it gives me some clout with the grandchildren.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, wymberley said:

Please don't interfere with D&C as the last thing we need is any unnecessary changes which in the short term could slow things down even more.

They could hardly go any slower if they're still waiting for cheques to clear 😂 in 2023.  Good job I don't live in Devon, I haven't had a cheque book in over 10 years, and I think the last time I saw a postal order was 1993. 

But rest assured I won't interfere in the affairs of Devon and Cornwall constabulary, they after all have enough problems, mostly entirely of their own making

8 hours ago, Centrepin said:

I haven't and I never said it was, I merely commented as I'm entitled too. Take that as you want. You're the one brought it up. If its too close to the truth, your problem not mine.

I’m not getting into an argument about this but YOU brought police response times into a thread about first class mail delivery times.

Lets leave it there

:shaun:

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

well i really dont see what everyone is bitching about ....i get 2 deliveries/day (sometimes)....and all the 1st class stuff i have posted is there the next day......i think the problem is a regional thing....

Must be,

We can pay to have stuff delivered in the morning before 9 I think, otherwise it’s whenever it comes but only one delivery a day 

A member of our old club was a system manager for the Post Office up in London. He said, several times, that there was no such thing as first and second class post anymore.

That went out when they stopped sorting the post by hand in the sorting office 

Now everything goes into a sorting machine and gets directed by the machine.  No human gets involved to prioritise the first class letters

However, lazy or overworked posties don't necessarily deliver all their letters every day. They 'stack' them which means they hang on to them until they have several for the same address.

Their logic being why deliver one letter to every house in the village every day day when you can hang onto them and deliver three letters  every third day.

2 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

They 'stack' them which means they hang on to them until they have several for the same address.

I'm not a statistician, but here goes;

If you get an average of 6 items of mail a week (i.e. 1 per delivery day), then sometimes you will get no item, sometimes 1 item, rather less often 2 items and even less often 3 items etc.  Most common should be 0 items or 1 item (as I understand it).

I probably get an average of maybe 4 or 5 items a week.  In practice, I most often get 0 items.  Occasionally I get 1 item, but 2 or even 3 items seems more common than 1. 

I think (my simplistic statistics) this supports your bit quoted above.

16 hours ago, Yellow Bear said:

Oh come on now, then they would lose the "lost in post never received it"  excuse and the post office would not be able to play politics delaying/losing firearms applications.

😂 go on explain how the post office can play politics or delay even 1 item of mail.

Just 1 example will be sufficient to prove your theory.

5 hours ago, Centrepin said:

But YOU  brought it up again and now you're backing down because you're wrong in dragging it up.  Grow up.

I’m not backing down, I just don’t see how bringing police response times into a thread about first class post isn’t trying to derail a thread?

6 hours ago, Centrepin said:

But YOU  brought it up again and now you're backing down because you're wrong in dragging it up.  Grow up.

The admin have a difficult job to do trying to keep many threads on point, they do not deserve to be told to "grow up" while doing this job.

Just now, welsh1 said:

The admin have a difficult job to do trying to keep many threads on point, they do not deserve to be told to "grow up" while doing this job.

Maybe, but as I pointed out, he brought it up, after it was buried. He had no need to. The job of moderators is not to cause arguments or look for one. I was quite happy for it to buried and have made no further comments on this or looked to have an argument. Why did he feel the need to provoke things. Quite simple, let it it die.

1 hour ago, shaun4860 said:

I’m not backing down, I just don’t see how bringing police response times into a thread about first class post isn’t trying to derail a thread?

Derail or a humorous comment. You're looking for an argument.

8 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

Maybe, but as I pointed out, he brought it up, after it was buried. He had no need to. The job of moderators is not to cause arguments or look for one. I was quite happy for it to buried and have made no further comments on this or looked to have an argument. Why did he feel the need to provoke things. Quite simple, let it it die.

Derail or a humorous comment. You're looking for an argument.

It appears you are looking for an argument and it is you that won't let it go.An admin quite rightly advised you not to turn this thread into another police bashing thread because you made a comment on the police and their response times, this was not in tune with the subject matter of the Royal Mail.

You could have taken the advice on board but instead you chose to argue the point, and then told an admin to grow up for doing the job they give their free time to do. 

2 minutes ago, welsh1 said:

It appears you are looking for an argument and it is you that won't let it go.An admin quite rightly advised you not to turn this thread into another police bashing thread because you made a comment on the police and their response times, this was not in tune with the subject matter of the Royal Mail.

You could have taken the advice on board but instead you chose to argue the point, and then told an admin to grow up for doing the job they give their free time to do. 

Then let it drop, again its you boys dragging it up. A harmless comment and you jump in without thinking. Let it drop. It was already buried, down, gone, forgotten. 

Just now, Centrepin said:

Then let it drop, again its you boys dragging it up. A harmless comment and you jump in without thinking. Let it drop. It was already buried, down, gone, forgotten. 

We think about all we do on this forum, we work to keep it ticking over ,one of those jobs is to make sure threads are not derailed, as i said you were given advice, you have so far ignored that advice and have now told a mod to grow up.

@Teal

Just now, Scully said:

Our nearest village shop doubles as a PO, and is open seven days a week; you can get cash, post cheques ( if you can’t photo’ them ) and do anything you can do any working day. 
We even get mail on a Sunday, so I can’t knock it. 

Our village shop (adjacent village, so a car drive away) is similar - and 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. I think, but the PO counter is only open 9 - 5 on weekdays and I think possibly mornings Saturdays.  Mind you - you do pay for the convenience - it is eye-wateringly expensive.  Great for minor things that have been forgotten, but a weekly family shop?  I think not.

3 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Our village shop (adjacent village, so a car drive away) is similar - and 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. I think, but the PO counter is only open 9 - 5 on weekdays and I think possibly mornings Saturdays.  Mind you - you do pay for the convenience - it is eye-wateringly expensive.  Great for minor things that have been forgotten, but a weekly family shop?  I think not.

The nearest one to me has to have the post office counter open the same hours as the shop is 🤷🏻‍♂️

3 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Yes, ours is quite expensive also. Swings and roundabouts I suppose. 
We have a sub PO in someone’s front room in our actual village, which is open two mornings a week, but the one I mentioned in the next village is only four miles away. I’ve actually walked it more than once. 

Just now, shaun4860 said:

The nearest one to me has to have the post office counter open the same hours as the shop is 🤷🏻‍♂️

Ditto. 7am - 7pm. 

I bought a fox ornament on Ebay and paid what i thought was expensive for postage , it arrived a day early wrapped in bubble wrap with more packed round it and it was  marked FRAGILE  on all sides it arrived all smashed up and all four legs broken off the stand . I will get my money back but i would of rather had the ornament , so much for ROYAL MAIL maybe got here on time but certainly showed no care 

3 hours ago, Bigbob said:

I bought a fox ornament on Ebay and paid what i thought was expensive for postage , it arrived a day early wrapped in bubble wrap with more packed round it and it was  marked FRAGILE  on all sides it arrived all smashed up and all four legs broken off the stand . I will get my money back but i would of rather had the ornament , so much for ROYAL MAIL maybe got here on time but certainly showed no care 

Just curious , who will you get paid from , Royal Mail or the seller ?