Testing….testing….

Ttfjlc

1 hour ago, martinj said:

A shilling was 12 old pennies, there were 20 to the £ so there were 240 pennies in a pound unless I'm mistaken. Half of a shilling was a sixpence (old pence)(or a Tanner)

Bang on the dot , then you can go down to a threepenny piece ( Joey ) a half penny and the dreaded farthing , a quarter of penny , what on earth would you get with that today .

We used to ask someone , How many Pennies are in a dozen and they would say 12 , and then we ask , How many half pennies there were in a dozen and without thinking they would say 24 , which of course it was still 12 :lol:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going upwards there was:

a Florin (two shillings or a two bob bit, worth 24d)

then half a crown worth 5 shillings or 60d,

a ten bob note worth 10 shillings or 120d

A pound note

Life was so simple then 🤪

Edited by martinj

2 minutes ago, martinj said:

Going upwards there was:

a Florin (two shillings or a two bob bit, worth 24d)

then half a crown worth 60d,

a ten bob note worth 120d

A pound note

Life was so simple then 🤪

I always thought there were 30 old pennies in half a crown ( half a dollar ) as there were 8 half a crowns in a pound . :drinks:

35 minutes ago, Miserableolgit said:

Yep, 30 old pennies to half a crown, 8 half crowns made a £.

I used to have a couple of ole Victorian crowns that were five shillings , a big bigger than the half crowns but when the cupboard was bear I had to flog them and got a lot more than the five bob they were made for .

Had plenty of the Green pound notes and the Blue / Grey fivers but never had the ole White five pound note :no:

When I was a kid I remember coming across an old white fiver being held by the wind against a chainlink fence, I retrieved it and remember the girl I was with and I gawping at it thinking of all the things we could get. For the life of me I can't remember what happened to it [really] so it couldn't have been that exciting. But all these years later I can picture it now the edges flapping in the wind while pinned against the fence.

2 hours ago, martinj said:

then half a crown worth 5 shillings or 60d, 

Half a crown was 2/6 or 30d.

5/- was a crown, not in usual circulation, but there were special issues of them and they were legal tender.

3 minutes ago, Miserableolgit said:

Just dug deep into my old trouser pockets…

IMG_2208.jpeg.64fc2276f8b13ed628ef447452eef728.jpeg

IMG_2212.jpeg.45e75589c3933b14ade93cb2a5cf073d.jpeg

IMG_2211.jpeg.b89f0dda59ffdc374b588c999fbb0f59.jpeg

IMG_2210.jpeg.0d41763b8005aeab10104ac77cf7c31b.jpeg

IMG_2204.jpeg.f30685b7e3dee19cd5ee0e299ee9c38a.jpeg

Those old trousers could tell a few tales , did yer get some Green Shield stamps when you bought your pair of trousers .

I remember when we had a day in London years ago when we were at the Junior school , we had to save up the whole term for the train fare by taking threepence or sixpence every week and the school was like a savings club , by the end of term we had saved enough for the rail fare , we then had to get some spending money , collecting news papers and running errons we finally got a load of low value coins , rather than take a pocket full of coins I changed them into a ten bob note , so I didn't lose it I had it in my inside jacket pocket with a safety pin into the note and the material around the pocket , I can't remember what I spent but for a out in the sticks Norfolk boy I found London a real eye opener and went back a few times in the golden era of the 60s , Happy days .

2 hours ago, marsh man said:

Those old trousers could tell a few tales , did yer get some Green Shield stamps when you bought your pair of trousers .

I remember when we had a day in London years ago when we were at the Junior school , we had to save up the whole term for the train fare by taking threepence or sixpence every week and the school was like a savings club , by the end of term we had saved enough for the rail fare , we then had to get some spending money , collecting news papers and running errons we finally got a load of low value coins , rather than take a pocket full of coins I changed them into a ten bob note , so I didn't lose it I had it in my inside jacket pocket with a safety pin into the note and the material around the pocket , I can't remember what I spent but for a out in the sticks Norfolk boy I found London a real eye opener and went back a few times in the golden era of the 60s , Happy days .

Aye, they sat right on top of a rather  fuzzy pack of Spangles.

17 hours ago, marsh man said:

I always thought there were 30 old pennies in half a crown ( half a dollar ) as there were 8 half a crowns in a pound . :drinks:

ahem Ditchie !! 😆

Yes of course, I was getting it confused with a crown (which was not in general circulation.) Half a crown was two shillings and sixpence = 30d

Incidentally, a lot of the older half crowns and florins had a high silver content, I wish I could go back and weed out the silver coins that must have passed through my hands

20 minutes ago, martinj said:

ahem Ditchie !! 😆

Yes of course, I was getting it confused with a crown (which was not in general circulation.) Half a crown was two shillings and sixpence = 30d

Incidentally, a lot of the older half crowns and florins had a high silver content, I wish I could go back and weed out the silver coins that must have passed through my hands

Yea don't we all , we didn't have a great deal of it and money was made to be spent so saving up for a rainy day was never an option , the thing is , every coin you had in your pocket could buy you something , a penny for a bus fare and so on , looking back by having very little money made you appreciate it when things got better and with it being hard to come by you made you didn't waste it and even today I am still looking for the best deal.    MM