We Know It's Been Cold But It Is The Middle Of January

marsh man

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This week's been -5 up here in Yorkshire still seeing lots of guys wearing shorts lol .I personally prefer cold weather keen frosts like we used to get every winter with snow! I go off up to Scotland wild camping in winter in search of the cold. This generation are soft .

46 minutes ago, Mike170874 said:

I go off up to Scotland wild camping in winter in search of the cold.

I don't - just have to go to the bedroom as the missus has to have a window open - alongside her frosty persona she has had transplanted into her by her mother - saves on the fuel to get to Scotland :D

Every cloud.....

Edited by discobob

Seen one headline on Wednesday  ,The Coldest Night of The Year ! well we are 17 days in thinks I🙄

I was staying in a caravan on the Solway many years ago and when I got up to make a morning brew I shuck the kettle , 

thinking it was empty went out to get water and pulled the lid off and it was frozen , it was registered -18 at Musewold 2 miles away ,

must be global warming !

I remember one morning (in later 2000's) - getting up early and it was -12 when I got in my car - had to drive to Birchwood (and get there early due to limited station parking) - get the Trans-Penine train - the one I was on had auto doors that opened at every station - so by the time I got to Leeds I was like a block of ice - I turned up at the interview and it only lasted 10 minutes as it wasn't the job that had been communicated to me by the agency - and then the travel back!!!

Even earlier (late 80's), a mate and I travelled back from Germany on leave between Christmas and New Year - we arrived at Dover to find no trains running - so was able to sling a coach driver a few bob to get get to London -  Euston was freezing and no train for 8 hours!! I was still shivering when we got to Liverpool and laid in the batch for a few hours regularly topping it up with hot water

9 hours ago, Minky said:

Well we haven't had any snow down here and  today was lovely blue sky and if you could find somewhere out of the wind and in the  sun it was really very pleasant BUT. IF you were in the shade and wind it was hyper cold.  I  was out first thing for about an hour and my face cheeks and lips were numb like I'd been to the dentist for a filling.

Roll on global warming. 

This morning when I went out at around 7am it was minus 5 in the motor , yes it was cold but now the sun is coming up it is a lovely day , a perfect day if you have got time to enjoy it , I have got the time and that is exactly what I am going to do ,,, enjoy it , just before the next Yellow warning come along with the predicted gale winds that are due over this coming weekend . :good:

28 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Ain't that the truth.

Minus 23 degrees C at Albrighton near Wolverhampton winter of 1983 is the coldest I have ever had to endure.

Yep, remember the winter of 83, I was shooting pigeons not far from Albrighton, it was bloody cold.

5 hours ago, Mike170874 said:

This week's been -5 up here in Yorkshire still seeing lots of guys wearing shorts lol .I personally prefer cold weather keen frosts like we used to get every winter with snow! I go off up to Scotland wild camping in winter in search of the cold. This generation are soft .

In the early 60s my brother used to be in Coypu Control and we trapped the marshes in some very remote areas in the Halvergate area , I got to know a lot of the marsh men who looked after the draining mills that got the water off the marshes in the Wintertime and the ones who looked after all the grazing cattle in the Summer months .

One of the family's lived in a remote house right beside the estuary wall , this house had no mains at all and the water was saved from the guttering , in the height of the Winter they  had to get the rain water in overnight to stop it from freezing before boiling it up on the wood stove.

When the kids were young they had to walk along the railway line to the nearest un manned station that was well over 1 1/2 miles away , I always remember when Mr Rose was telling me they once had fairly heavy snow overnight and the kids had to walk in thick snow to reach the small railway station so they could go to there little school at Reedham , this they done and when they reached the school they found over half the kids couldn't make it due to poor road conditions and maybe the coach couldn't get through , then when the school was finished the kids then had to wait for the train to get them back to Berney Arms station , time they got there it was then dark and the poor kids had to walk back along the lines to there little cold house before they had to do it all again the following day , now our village school is packed in the mornings with 4 x 4s that have never seen wet grass let alone a muddy field to let off the kids that live within walking distance to the school and then they will be picked up again a few hours later and I doubt if the 4 x 4s engines hardly get warm let alone hot , talk about the kids of today are getting soft :no:

10 hours ago, Rim Fire said:

Been out the last few nights well into early morning it's been minus 5 at the coldest but when you are walking around its ok with the right clothing on 

I used to have a shoot which was local and I used to go out on foot patrol  virtually every night on my own with the dog. About the only things that stopped me were Fog, mist and rain. I did try BUT you can't shoot if you can't see the target and I did it for enjoyment and along with the vision aspect I have no interest in getting soaked to the skin and getting weapons wet. I  knew every field and every distance and angle along with the ground contour and back ground cover. Loved it.  The dog used to know the score and sometimes could detect / wind a Charlie in the woods. She would stop as we went along the wood and wait.  I got to know her game. I would walk on up around the wood and stand around the other side.  Somehow she had worked out how long this would be and then she would enter the wood and work through. It wasn't long before Charlie showed up out in my field.  We  accounted for several lamp shy charlies this way. We knew the ground and the score. Blooming well loved walking like this when the muppets were either in bed or watching the TV.  

Yep can't beat it walking around at night when most are tucked up as for knowing your ground every farm i shoot on i go on Google maps and measure the distances on the biggest of the fields  most fields are 200 and under but you do  get some that are longer than that 

On 19/01/2024 at 09:22, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Minus 23 degrees C at Albrighton near Wolverhampton winter of 1983 is the coldest I have ever had to endure.

Exercise in Germany halted for 12 hours because the bridge parts we were supposed to build for the tanks to cross was frozen to the ground, a very cold night in a sleeping bag then inside a body bag with a mate to try and keep warm. it was minus 26.

I don't know about going soft but cold is cold. The other day I was outside helping to load one of the daughters cars up on a trailer for maintenance/repair and I was so cold my face cheeks and lips were totally frozen and numb like I'd been to the dentist for a filling.  It took about 15 minutes with the car heater running full chat to unfreeze.  I was nearly hyperthermic. I can't see any point in people scrimping on being comfortable when it is so viscously cold and I live in Kent. We have only had a bit of frost on the cars,  no snow,  but the wind chill is murderous. The government is giving out cold weather payments and winter fuel allowance. So used it for the purpose that it is given.

9 hours ago, welsh1 said:

Exercise in Germany halted for 12 hours because the bridge parts we were supposed to build for the tanks to cross was frozen to the ground, a very cold night in a sleeping bag then inside a body bag with a mate to try and keep warm. it was minus 26.

Flying Falcon Feb (I think) 1987 - ‘twas -27

3 days to do a move that should have taken hours

Millions in new Ptarmigan lorries written off because the entrance to the site had a steep slope and they just went and smashed into the backs of the ones in front and they were all towing trailers

An RCT driver lost 8 toes - I was lucky and only got frost nip on my ears - I call them my bacon bones as they are white when they get cold

wearing socks as mittens over your gloves!!

Thank God the Schloss at one place let us use a cellar to sleep in!!!