Best SxS for clay shooting under £600

Cal50

Sxs’s are uncommon but certainly not rare on clay grounds around here, especially in the run up to the game season, but if you could find one for around that money,  I’d suggest a Winchester 23 XTR or any other with multi chokes. 
There must be loads of cheapish ones out there choked 1/4 and 1/2, but they’ll mostly be light game guns. 
AYA do a 3” chambered sxs. I had one once, can’t recall the model now, but it had a pistol grip and a wide beaver tail fore-end. A good solid heavy gun suited for a lot of clay shooting. 
I sold bought and sold mine for much less than 600 quid so they may be worth a look. 
Someone will be along in a minute to tell you what model it was! 🙂

There are many available,side by sides are generally unpopular now and the cheaper models are a few pounds or free in some cases as so little demand. For clays I would find a 28” or 30” with a pistol or semi pistol grip,preferably a beaver tail forend .Weighing about 7-7.5 lbs.Get the length of pull to suit you and a comb raiser possibly as most are too low.The chokes maybe too much in many cases,ideally about 5 thou,and 15 thou is most suitable.

1 hour ago, Scully said:

Sxs’s are uncommon but certainly not rare on clay grounds around here, especially in the run up to the game season, but if you could find one for around that money,  I’d suggest a Winchester 23 XTR or any other with multi chokes. 
There must be loads of cheapish ones out there choked 1/4 and 1/2, but they’ll mostly be light game guns. 
AYA do a 3” chambered sxs. I had one once, can’t recall the model now, but it had a pistol grip and a wide beaver tail fore-end. A good solid heavy gun suited for a lot of clay shooting. 
I sold bought and sold mine for much less than 600 quid so they may be worth a look. 
Someone will be along in a minute to tell you what model it was! 🙂

I think it was called the 'Magnum', although it was based on a No  3.

Have a look at the Trade gun sales on here, there have been several Spanish sidelocks for under £100 recently.

29 minutes ago, Westley said:

I think it was called the 'Magnum', although it was based on a No  3.

Have a look at the Trade gun sales on here, there have been several Spanish sidelocks for under £100 recently.

Yes I have a 3” no 3 which I took out to 1/2 choke in each barrel for more general use and steel shot. Heavy and pistol grip stock. Good for clays.

5 hours ago, Cal50 said:

I currently have a Silver pigeon but I miss my SxS. Any suggestions on ideal SxSs for around that price. Would primarily be used for casual clay shooting.

There is an AyA No. 2 for your budget in the Trade sales on here. Not exactly a 'Clay gun', but it was my first clay shooting gun. I was a 'game' shooter but used the gun for clays too. It was my only gun over 50 years ago  !

4 hours ago, Stimo22 said:

Atkinson, Grant and Lang

Probably should be Atkin, Grant & Lang.  https://www.agl-uk.com/

I think it depends on whether you are a 'serious' clays shooter, or just out for a bit of fun with friends.

I am strictly the later - and for that I use almost anything s/s.  The key is to use a cartridge that suits the gun and as such I find Hull Comp X in 21g (12 bore) excellent (and sensibly priced).  Used in an AyA, or an English gun (fine for 2 1/2" chambers).

The only real 'problem' is that the left hand can suffer from hot barrels in the summer.  The heat from 5 pairs of clays is about as much as my fingers can manage without either a hand guard or glove in hot weather without a cooling break.

Be aware that single triggers on s/s are less common are often not as reliable as those on o/u's.  Not sure why this is except that far less are produced, so may not be as well tested and refined.

Edited by JohnfromUK

Not like these then  ?  This was considered to be a normal clay shooting load 50 years ago. Thankfully the Comps were only 50 birds, but 50 of these through a 6 1/2lbs S x S and you felt it  !

I'm due to have a shoulder operation on my right shoulder soon  !  😄

IMG-20240124-WA0002.jpg

Edited by Westley

5 minutes ago, Westley said:

Not like these then  ?  This was considered to be a normal clay shooting load 50 years ago. Thankfully the Comps were only 50 birds, but 50 of these through a 6 1/2lbs S x S and you felt it  !

OK I give up trying to load pics  !

Guns for Sale (Private Sales) has recently listed an AYA No3 magnum (3" chambers, 29" barrels) and an AYA Super Solway (3" chambers, 32" barrels).     Probably weigh somewhere around 7-1/2 lb.    Either of those might suit, if they are still available.    Non-ejectors, therefore not handy for a "flush" competition.

48 minutes ago, Westley said:

Not like these then  ?

When I first started, 1 1/8 oz was common for clays, but people who shot s/s in serious competition used 'live pigeon guns' which were much heavier duty, typically heavy (7 - 7 1/2 lbs) with 2 3/4" chambers and often additional bolting and side clips to typically 30" barrels.  Such guns are still around (AyA Model 56 being typical) but it's hard to find one.

I have shot (at) many, many clays with a s/s and find the 21g cartridges are not a noticeable disadvantage for what I do.  I think with the 21g, any s's can give good account of itself at clays, but it won't ever be the last word in competitive edge with only 21g of shot.  For normal range 'sporting' clays I have never felt disadvantaged to any noticeable extent.

25 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

When I first started, 1 1/8 oz was common for clays, but people who shot s/s in serious competition used 'live pigeon guns' which were much heavier duty, typically heavy (7 - 7 1/2 lbs) with 2 3/4" chambers and often additional bolting and side clips to typically 30" barrels.  Such guns are still around (AyA Model 56 being typical) but it's hard to find one.

I have shot (at) many, many clays with a s/s and find the 21g cartridges are not a noticeable disadvantage for what I do.  I think with the 21g, any s's can give good account of itself at clays, but it won't ever be the last word in competitive edge with only 21g of shot.  For normal range 'sporting' clays I have never felt disadvantaged to any noticeable extent.

I agree. A mate has a very long barrelled ‘live pigeon’ gun. It’s over 100 years old and he still turns up on the clays with it now and then. It still does its stuff. 
The reason we see a lot of sxs’s on clay grounds locally in my opinion, is because although there are quite a few dedicated clay shooters, I think the majority around here ( and even at Westlands ) are primarily live quarry shooters who also enjoy shooting clays. 
Most of the blokes we meet and talk to at Crabtree, Westlands, Paintmine Woods and Watch Hill, Southwaite and Bowscar and loads of little charity and straw baler shoots in between, are live quarry shooters but enjoy shooting clays out of season. 
Thinking about it now, I don’t know anyone who shoots clays only. 
I know quite a few who shoot live quarry only, which possibly explains why they aren’t very good shots, but that’s a different story. 

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

I had a 56 with two sets of barrels choked full and extra full in one set lovely gun but with the lead ban looming I moved it on 😢

I do use my anson live pigeon gun a lot my go to side by side although only 2.1/2 inch chambers it still handles 32 grams well if I need to use it 

6 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Shot thousands and thousands of the excellent Trap 100s. Loved them.

NOT through an AyA No.2 I'll bet  ? 

Which is why the OP should be looking for 7lbs upwards in a gun.

Edited by Westley

1 hour ago, Westley said:

NOT through an AyA No.2 I'll bet  ? 

Which is why the OP should be looking for 7lbs upwards in a gun.

I can't remember exactly, but the 2 3/4" guns I owned then were an AyA Yeoman s/s non ejector and an o/u Beretta S57.  (I've never owned a No. 2.)

Clays are now normally 28g max aren't they?  At my local ground, certainly 28g is the upper limit.

Edited by JohnfromUK

3 hours ago, Westley said:

IMG-20240124-WA0002.jpg

Used those in the 1980’s, about £80 a thousand, excellent cartridges!

Back in the 1990s when English Skeet was the thing I shot many many rounds with 1 1/8 ounce of #9 through a side by side. A friend used to shoot it with his Purdey. But then all the choke needed was "not at lot". For today where "English Sporting" is the be all and end all I suggest if at all possible at least a selective trigger and so the ability to choose which choke you used.

Edited by enfieldspares