Steve Wright

steve_b_wales

Yeah, Awful news. Bit of a shock that one! Far far too young. 
He was a daily occurrence through decades of my life, and although I often shouted at him for talking over the end of a track ( sometimes all the way through! )  I thought he was one of our best DJ’s. I had much more in common with Steve Wright than that tool who took over from him.

R2 goes off at lunchtime now and stays off ‘til the following morning. 
I was just listening to him last Sunday. 🤷‍♂️

Radio 2 putting him out to pasture was a snapshot of everything wrong about the BBC. 
Snotty BBC management thinking they know better than their audience, forcing a poor replacement on the listeners.
It appears he was loved by his colleagues, didn’t get dragged down by Yew Tree and had a loyal audience. His later R2 shows reminded me of listening to R1 in the 1980s - which was a good thing

16 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Well, he was quite good a LONG time ago, went very stale but couldn't change his approach.

Should have given up at the top of his time.

Exactly.

Very funny in the 80's.

Then it became the same tired format with "special guests" that were just on to plug their book/play/concert while he fawned over them.

2 hours ago, Flashman said:

And yet the replacement was an inferior model. 

The replacement at work was Greatest hits radio, showed how terrible Radio 2 had become.

Coup de grâce was them getting Ken Bruce, everything did indeed stop for PopMaster.

1 hour ago, Wymondley said:

Exactly.

Very funny in the 80's.

Then it became the same tired format with "special guests" that were just on to plug their book/play/concert while he fawned over them.

The replacement at work was Greatest hits radio, showed how terrible Radio 2 had become.

Coup de grâce was them getting Ken Bruce, everything did indeed stop for PopMaster.

Yes, it has all the best people who have been fired by Radio Two.