Norfolk Police Are Using Buses To Catch Drivers With No Seat Belts Or Using The Phone.

marsh man

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Gordon R said:

Policing does seem to have moved from enforcing the law and actually investigating crimes, to selectively enforcing some laws whilst totaling ignoring others.

Protests demos, stop oil etc, seem to be above the law whereas motorists get the full weight.

I applaud them taking this particular action. It is effective and catches law breakers. I just wish they would use the same zeal in the rest of their duties.

That said, it isn't the lower ranks who decide priorities. I make no apology for saying "Where is the new James Anderton"? The country is crying out for you.

Yes indeed.

13 hours ago, Weihrauch17 said:

Policing is no longer about solving crime, just making money from petty offences.  

And seemingly just ticking boxes?

The standard of driving here seems to be awful without phones etc in the mix, particularly young women trying to push you up the road.

Edited by old man

55 minutes ago, old man said:

And seemingly just ticking boxes?

The standard of driving here seems to be awful without phones etc in the mix, particularly young women trying to push you up the road.

Yes we have that here, do they not get taught about stopping distances?

Usually young women in Fiat 500s.

Just to clarify , the police are passengers and not driving the buses , normally there are two , one recording the offence and the other one writing and relaying the details to there colleagues further down the road .    MM

On one of those TV police programmes last week [?] , I think it was in Bristol, the police started using a fully marked up regular bus [not in service, but looked like it was] for targeting youths. Good idea, but once seen, not going to be a surprise any more 🙈

They've used HGV cabs for years on the Mways, although I've never actually seen one on my journeys.

8 minutes ago, JKD said:

On one of those TV police programmes last week [?] , I think it was in Bristol, the police started using a fully marked up regular bus [not in service, but looked like it was] for targeting youths. Good idea, but once seen, not going to be a surprise any more 🙈

They've used HGV cabs for years on the Mways, although I've never actually seen one on my journeys.

Do you drive an HGV? If not they weren't out looking for you.  :cool1:

27 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Do you drive an HGV? If not they weren't out looking for you.  

Being high up they look out for ALL drivers committing misdemeanors,,,, and no, don't drive an HGV, and also don't use my phone whilst driving, it's always in my pocket 😉

44 minutes ago, JKD said:

Being high up they look out for ALL drivers committing misdemeanors,,,, and no, don't drive an HGV, and also don't use my phone whilst driving, it's always in my pocket 😉

Noted, BUT whenever these are shown on the TV programmes they are concentrating on the professional lorry drivers.

11 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Noted, BUT whenever these are shown on the TV programmes they are concentrating on the professional lorry drivers.

Usually yes,,,, but being high up they have a perfect view down onto and into smaller vehicles. They're not going to ignore ANY drivers committing these types of offences.

Must admit though,,,, on these TV programmes, the 'stars with a badge' do play up to the camera just a little bit 🤦

A couple of years ago a chap i work with his daughter was killed on the Dartford crossing by a lorry driver on his phone.

He was sent to prison. I think all drivers caught on the phone should have their vehicle confiscated.

6 minutes ago, samboy said:

A couple of years ago a chap i work with his daughter was killed on the Dartford crossing by a lorry driver on his phone.

He was sent to prison. I think all drivers caught on the phone should have their vehicle confiscated.

I use that crossing regularly, and see many drivers using their mobile phones, in heavy traffic more so. In fact, I regularly see driver mobile phone usage on virtually ALL of my daily journeys,,,, boils my pee !!! 🤬

I think those caught driving while on their phones should have that vehicle ( whether it’s their own vehicle or a work vehicle ) impounded there and then on the spot. 
The consequences of that would be a greater deterrent than anything, cos everyone knows they aren’t going to cause an accident…..until they do. 

Ok so just a question here my phone is also my satnav - google maps - while sat in slow moving traffic I will check if there is an alternative route am I breaking the law ? Would the plod on the bus call my details in ?

the phone is mounted on a holder to side of screen and is hands free for the very odd time someone calls me !

just interested Agriv8

With today's technology, there is no excuse for using your phone, whilst driving.

I agree with the above, car should be impounded.

And on second offence, you should lose your licence, and have to retake your test.

If you are stupid enough to do it again, you should lose it for good.

Edited by Newbie to this

5 hours ago, Rim Fire said:

The seat belts I don't mind they only damage themselves but the phone dose .... me off 😒 

They may only damage themselves,  BUT, at huge cost to the rest of us in trying to piece them back together  !

Edited by Westley

13 hours ago, Gordon R said:

Policing does seem to have moved from enforcing the law and actually investigating crimes, to selectively enforcing some laws whilst totaling ignoring others.

Protests demos, stop oil etc, seem to be above the law whereas motorists get the full weight.

I applaud them taking this particular action. It is effective and catches law breakers. I just wish they would use the same zeal in the rest of their duties.

That said, it isn't the lower ranks who decide priorities. I make no apology for saying "Where is the new James Anderton"? The country is crying out for you.

James Anderton, God's copper Rip, remember him coming to our school and giving a speech to the whole school, basically saying if you break the law we'll catch you and lock you up. Didn't stop a few of my year breaking the law in quite serious ways, Drug dealing, Murder, Sexual assaults and various other offences, 1 of which without going into details was pretty horrific yet barely a line in the papers of the day. 

S

52 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

With today's technology, there is no excuse for using your phone, whilst driving.

I agree with the above, car should be impounded.

And on second offence, you should lose your licence, and have to retake your test.

If you are stupid enough to do it again, you should lose it for good.

There is usually a big difference in screen size between a built in Sat Nav and a phone screen. I will NOT operate my Sat Nav without stopping my vehicle completely.  Using the Sat Nav on a phone must require more attention, due to the screen size. This must make the operation more dangerous surely. I see taxi drivers ( who are not the best of drivers anyway) with as many as 3 mobile phones stuck on their windscreens.  This must put pedestrians at great risk of being flattened by the vehicle, due to the drivers lack of vision.

1 hour ago, scobydog said:

James Anderton, God's copper Rip, remember him coming to our school and giving a speech to the whole school, basically saying if you break the law we'll catch you and lock you up. Didn't stop a few of my year breaking the law in quite serious ways, Drug dealing, Murder, Sexual assaults and various other offences, 1 of which without going into details was pretty horrific yet barely a line in the papers of the day. 

S

I was fortunate enough to have met him a few times. He always did the presentations at Manchester Police clay pigeon shoots. At one of their shoots in 1981, he bought our 6 man team a drink each. He said we deserved it after the Liverpool riots. Of course he had the sphericals to sort the Manchester riots in 3 nights, very few arrests and very few rioters coming back for a second dose.........job done  !

59 minutes ago, Westley said:

There is usually a big difference in screen size between a built in Sat Nav and a phone screen. I will NOT operate my Sat Nav without stopping my vehicle completely.  Using the Sat Nav on a phone must require more attention, due to the screen size. This must make the operation more dangerous surely. I see taxi drivers ( who are not the best of drivers anyway) with as many as 3 mobile phones stuck on their windscreens.  This must put pedestrians at great risk of being flattened by the vehicle, due to the drivers lack of vision.

Lost count of the amount of times I see drivers with a satnav in the middle of the windscreen :mad:

My satnav works off an app on my phone, but my car has android auto, so the phone goes in the centre console with the lid closed, and it is all operated through voice  control.