Camp coffee .

samboy

Hi gang.

I remember my nan using this when i was a kid and if you left a cup of it for a while it ended up with a gungy top

on it. Makes me feel sick thinking about it :sick:.

Ready Aye Ready! We had it in my parent's house in the 1960s and if you wanted coffee that's what you got. made with hot milk. Lovely it was too! The 1960s when if you wanted olive oil it meant you had wax in your ears and so went a got a tiny tiny bottle (about a half a cup full) from the village chemist.

Edited by enfieldspares

2 hours ago, samboy said:

Hi gang.

I remember my nan using this when i was a kid and if you left a cup of it for a while it ended up with a gungy top

on it. Makes me feel sick thinking about it .

Wasn't the gunge just the cream off the milk? Back in the olden days before it was all homogenised rubbish.

It was liquid Coffee with chicory in it, You can still buy it if your taste buds can take it lol.

Just for information there is a web site for it, with loads of recipes on it using the Coffee.  www.campcoffeeclub.co.uk/#/

2 hours ago, 39TDS said:

Wasn't the gunge just the cream off the milk? Back in the olden days before it was all homogenised rubbish.

Yes that's what it was. We were talking about it around the table at dinner on Sunday. I'm going to buy a bottle this week

i think Tescos sell it. 

You can still buy it. Camp coffee with chicory essence. First tasted it at my Grandmas when I was a kid. 
Was working in a new build the other week and the elderly owners had a bottle of it on a tray for any workers who fancied it. 
Haven't had it for donkies years, but didn’t mind it at all. 

1 hour ago, kingsy18 said:

Still drink it,think it's the best coffee of them all.

Your taste buds must be shot to bits 😝

I also have memories of this as a child, with my mum using it to flavour 'coffee cake' 🥴 Wouldn't even go near it nowadays 🤢

Camp Coffee.  Thanks for the post. Brought back fond memories of my lovely Nan. That, and her custard made with sterilised milk - Gert Lush.

Edited by Bobba

23 minutes ago, Bobba said:

Camp Coffee.  Thanks for the post. Brought back fond memories of my of lovely my Nan. That, and her custard made with sterilised milk - Gert Lush.

Forgot about sterilised milk. When i was a kid i used to think it came from horses 😂.

Anyone notice the subtle (or not so subtle) change to the labeling from the 60s (left hand one) to the current one?:whistling:

OB

IMG_4096.JPG

Edited by Old Boggy

7 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

Anyone notice the subtle (or not so subtle) change to the labeling from the 60s (left hand one) to the current one?:whistling:

OB

IMG_4096.JPG

"I am no longer your servant" !!! 🤭

3 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

ERSATZ Coffee......................

No not as a German told me. My tenant at my pond made ersatz coffee. Erna Stocklosse. A German woman who came to Britain after WWII and originally a "red" from Hamburg. All the big cities in Germany were "red". After Hitler seized power you kept quiet about it. She recounted the "Christmas trees" which were the illuminating markers dropped by the RAF Pathfinders and also trying to make coffee from roasting acorns. Ersatz coffee. 

Edited by enfieldspares