aid worker deaths

clangerman

20 minutes ago, toontastic said:

Also in the news today, the Billionaire leaders of Hamas have once again rejected a proposal of aid and a ceasefire in return for freeing hostages.

easy to do when you are sat in the UAE living the luxury life.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Israelis hitting that convoy is bang out of order. I don't think it was a case of mistaken identity, they obviously believed (mistakenly or otherwise) it was being used to cover terrorist movement/activity. I'm guessing they made a conscious decision to hit it, firing first and asking questions later.

I don't believe it was simply collateral damage after careful consideration based on honest belief after looking at intel, but more a case of making a strike and stuff the consequences, knowing full well the likelihood of innocents killed.

12 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

I think the Israelis hitting that convoy is bang out of order. I don't think it was a case of mistaken identity, they obviously believed (mistakenly or otherwise) it was being used to cover terrorist movement/activity. I'm guessing they made a conscious decision to hit it, firing first and asking questions later.

I don't believe it was simply collateral damage after careful consideration based on honest belief after looking at intel, but more a case of making a strike and stuff the consequences, knowing full well the likelihood of innocents killed.

We’ll never know, but either way working in a war zone is risky business. 

3 hours ago, Rewulf said:

Unrelated, but how many friendly fire incidents were attributed to British soldiers in Iraq ?
It seems to be a US thing mostly.

errrrrr,i think you'll find that's the first thing i said in post 14🙄

3 hours ago, Rim Fire said:

i my self dont believe all the hostages are alive or they have been abused to the point that it looks real bad for Hamas 

i doubt ANY of them are alive.

13 hours ago, Zoli 12 guage said:

errrrrr,i think you'll find that's the first thing i said in post 14🙄

Ive looked at post 14, but I cant see you saying this..

17 hours ago, Rewulf said:

but how many friendly fire incidents were attributed to British soldiers in Iraq ?

Which was my point.

19 hours ago, Zoli 12 guage said:

it's generally the Yanks that drop goolies like this.

remember the British troops they "A Tenned" to death in the first gulf war?

think they brushed it off with old "friendly fire" excuse.

it's war and it happens unfortunately.

for some more than others.

Remember my dad telling me about a saying during the 2WW, might have also been true during the 1WW and that was….when the English started shooting the Germans took cover, when the Germans started shooting the English took cover but when the Yanks started shooting, everyone took cover.

There was one incident in Afghanistan where a British commander called in an American Air strike on the Taliban. There were a few British casualties and many people will likely condemn the Americans, but when they struck the Taliban they were less than 100 feet from over running a British position. Now did that airstrike save lives or cost lives. Sometimes the margin of error is so small, measure out 100 feet and see how small that margin is.

36 minutes ago, Scully said:

The Americans do seem to have a certain flair for it, but they don’t have the monopoly.

I recall reading about a blue on blue between the SBS and SAS during the Falklands campaign. 

2003 Gulf war Challenger 2 took out another Challanger 2 killing the commander. It happens in all armies the USA are more known for it in modern times as they provide the bulk of the forces deployed.

Just now, clangerman said:

our double standards are hilarious if this was the other bunch of fools involved there would be non stop screaming of rules especially the obligation to avoid killing civilians if possible! 

Ok, I’ll ask again. What do you think the UK should do? 

1 hour ago, clangerman said:

our double standards are hilarious if this was the other bunch of fools involved there would be non stop screaming of rules especially the obligation to avoid killing civilians if possible! 

Can you narrow it down, which “other bunch of fools” do you refer too?

14 minutes ago, Penelope said:

I see our wonderful Civil Service are threatening to take action over any Government sales of arms to Israel.

Corrected that for you:  I see our wonderful Hamza shielder supporters are threatening to take action over any Government sales of arms to Israel.

23 minutes ago, Penelope said:

I see our wonderful Civil Service are threatening to take action over any Government sales of arms to Israel.

The Civil Service have only ever done what they liked from way back.  I don't know when Government was last truly able to do it's own agenda?

The whole "Yes Minister" series was certainly a comedy - and a very good one, but (as confirmed by Mrs Thatcher) very much based in fact.