Beach casting

djrwood

Anyone on here in to beach casting? I enjoy coarse fishing but never tried beach casting. Just started working out near the Suffolk coast, so keen to get some advice before giving it a try.

Thanks

Dan

20 minutes ago, djrwood said:

Anyone on here in to beach casting? I enjoy coarse fishing but never tried beach casting. Just started working out near the Suffolk coast, so keen to get some advice before giving it a try.

Thanks

Dan

The first thing you will notice  is the weight. Difference,  a 5 oz. Lead. Hanging  on the line,  it gets quite scary . Start with a multiplier  with. Line leveler . Can practice casting anywhere  does not have to be over water .

I enjoy Beach fishing, if you have ever Carp fished then that’s the way to approach it.  I’ve used both fixed spool and multiplier reels, don’t go multiplier with line level drive..

You could have a look at WSF online plenty of advice and local information available. Main downside is the weather as it can be against you when you want to go. Mainly but not always 2 hrs up and 2 hrs down with the high tide. Good luck. 

I go beachfishing but now only use decent fixed spool reels.

I struggled with a multiplier as I usually fish at night.If you get a birds nest you'll spend most of the session untangling.

I make my own rigs now but they are cheap enough to buy.i have one baited ready under the tripod and just change them over it saves time and you can present the baits better as you bait up the one at the ready.Above all just enjoy it.You don't have to cast to the moon to catch fish.ive caught loads about 10 yards out.

Hello, it is a good type of fishing and if lucky you can eat your catch , but make sure there are no outfalls from sewage, i fished the beaches for years from Sussex, Hants, Dorset, and Somerset and there were no problems like today, i am sure there will be some good fishing along the Suffolk coast, Start with local tackle shops and fishing clubs, bait and advice on tackle, i used a 12 footer and large fixed spool, did try a shimano multi but did not end well ha ha, i still have me beach gear and an Ian Golds rod rest, i found the Sea Angler magazine the best for catch reports, my own best catch was a hefty Bass down Bridport way but a long time ago,

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

I do a lot of beach fishing what ever you do don't go down the multiplier route start with fixed spool reels I can cast with both type of reels but choose to use a fixed spool as its a lot easier having said that a lot of it will depend on what type of fishing you want to do just go on YouTube lots of info on there 

I beach fished for many, many years.
IMO reel choice depends on your ability and the location being fished.
Fixed spool is (usually) trouble free and nowadays there are some great large spool options available.
If you need longer distances you may want to move to multipliers, practise on land (safely) first, to practise your technique.
I only used level wind multipliers when boat fishing, never beach casting.
We even used to remove the "brakes" to get better distances, but I don't recommend this until you are really experienced.

Plenty of casting videos on YouTube and local fishing tackle shops are good for  information on whats catching locally.
Enjoy it, great fun and you will get some good fresh fish dinners.

I've just watched a video where they used a remote controlled  boat to take the line and bait out

about 200m.... it had gps so you could drop it in the same place if you are catching.Automatic return too.

I have some gear (full set-up) that I will be selling in excellent condition. It’s all multiplier based but don’t let that put you off. I used multipliers from the beginning, it’s not that difficult, it’s all about smoothness. I don’t go anymore as I have a shoulder issue and I don’t really have the time. PM me for a list if you are interested.

Should you practice , remember that you're learning technique not distance so an appropriately weighted ball  secured to the end of your line (plus swivel) can save an awful lot of walking (unless you want to get fit as well) if practicing on grass in the wet seasons. Once you've learned how to send the hook (hopefully plus bait), line and sinker into the wild blue yonder the easiest thing you can then do is to cast beyond where the fish are feeding - location and species dependent.

Tight lines. 

It's easy to get into & you soon learn quickly about the rigs , leads etc its learning the venue & states of tide & season & weather forecast is where the skill is.

Cheap set ups can be had from places like go outdoors etc for you to dip your toes into it you don't need to spend ££££'

Screenshot_20240408_103505_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20240408_103510_Instagram.jpg

Thanks guys for all the replies. I’m excited about giving it a go. I enjoy coarse fishing and spinning for pike in the winter.

Any tips on what bait to use? Don’t suppose my sweet corn or maggots will be much use in the deep blue!

3 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

I’d love to start beach fishing but don’t know what half the stuff being talked about above even means! 

Hello, You have some good venues not to far from Bristol, and some Tackle shops for Bait etc, i have fished quite a few beaches in that area, from Seven Beach to Brean , sand eels are a good bait as is rag and lugg, You do not need much gear like Course Fishing, a decent Sea type fixed spool reel,  12 ft Beach Rod, good rod rest, weights, hooks, large foreceps, Fishy bag, Towel , Filleting knife , etc, main line 18llb and some shock leader of 40/50 llb, Tide timetable, usual 2 Hr before high tide 2 Hr after, Seven Beach to Weston are strong tides, Brean and Barrow better as you have Brean Down curtail strong tides, Hugh Stokers book on fishing Somerset beaches is good, also is there not a Bristol Angling Shop,  Lloyd, Contact Team Tractor on here as he started beach fishing down Brean and  Barrow way , 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

9 minutes ago, djrwood said:

Thanks guys for all the replies. I’m excited about giving it a go. I enjoy coarse fishing and spinning for pike in the winter.

Any tips on what bait to use? Don’t suppose my sweet corn or maggots will be much use in the deep blue!

Hello, Local Sea Fishing Tackle Shop should give you info and type of Baits, you may need to order, when i use to beach fish i did just this on the way down from the Vale and when i lived in West Sussex, 

5 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

I’d love to start beach fishing but don’t know what half the stuff being talked about above even means! 

I know them for their mail order but am sure that they also have a shop. Pop into 'Veals' in Hengrove.

5 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Lloyd you got the Bristol channel on your doorstep the hounds are just around the corner Bass already showing and many species of Ray  getting caught i be have ing a go this week end but i will be targeting Bass only 

3 hours ago, djrwood said:

Just use a carp rod 1o hook and a 2 oz weight bit of squid mackerel or sandeel easy running ledger and cast it out to the third breaker 

don’t complicate it 

enjoy your fishing try to pick a tide in daylight to start with to make it easier to get the feel of it 

On 08/04/2024 at 09:54, daveboy said:

I've just watched a video where they used a remote controlled  boat to take the line and bait out

about 200m.... it had gps so you could drop it in the same place if you are catching.Automatic return too.

Hello, 200 mtrs !!!!, what they want to catch ?? Sharks 🤔😄

On 07/04/2024 at 14:11, johnphilip said:

The first thing you will notice  is the weight. Difference,  a 5 oz. Lead. Hanging  on the line,  it gets quite scary . Start with a multiplier  with. Line leveler . Can practice casting anywhere  does not have to be over water .

Regularly use 5oz of lead for carp fishing.

If starting out with a fixed spool reel, you'll do a lot worse than watch this guy, Terry Edmunds, Intl. casting champion. 

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=terry+edmonds+casting+tuition+