Electric cars to pay road tax from April 2025

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HHhhhahhahahahahhaaaaaa....:lol:..........taking WFP from us old pensioners.....then stinging them for road tax on their electric Skoda Fairydust.....oh bleedin dear.......you wait until the Autumn budget...Ragnorock Rachel will be taxing them mobility scooters and all........

Edited by ditchman

Anyone who voted Labour and who has an actual job and earns their own money will soon be experiencing the error of their ways.

Don’t worry though - with all that extra government spending we’ll get a highly paid, highly efficient and highly motivated civil service and public sector and we’ll get lots more schools, leisure centres and hospitals etc all delivered with maximum value, on budget and in time. 

Or we’ll get more expensive government, quangos, ‘community’ projects, government white elephant projects and zero value for money 😆

what did any of the idiots that bought 'em expect would happen when the testicle squeezers aren't getting any TAX from the fuel they don't burn and the road tax they aren't paying.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

3 minutes ago, Mungler said:

Anyone who voted Labour and who has an actual job and earns their own money will soon be experiencing the error of their ways.

Don’t worry though - with all that extra government spending we’ll get a highly paid, highly efficient and highly motivated civil service and public sector and we’ll get lots more schools, leisure centres and hospitals etc all delivered with maximum value, on budget and in time. 

Or we’ll get more expensive government, quangos, ‘community’ projects, government white elephant projects and zero value for money 😆

you missed hundreds of thousands of illegal migrants literally by the boat load👍

Good. These vehicles have all the benefits so far yet pay none of the costs. And being heavier than a conventional vehicle of the same make and model their heavier weight causes more road wear. The stretch of road leading to the Meynell's Gorse Park n'Ride in Leicester (used now only by Chinese made electric buses) is now since these electric buses came into service two ago one of the worst worn road surfaces inside the city boundary.

On 30/07/2024 at 22:18, enfieldspares said:

Good. These vehicles have all the benefits so far yet pay none of the costs. And being heavier than a conventional vehicle of the same make and model their heavier weight causes more road wear. The stretch of road leading to the Meynell's Gorse Park n'Ride in Leicester (used now only by Chinese made electric buses) is now since these electric buses came into service two ago one of the worst worn road surfaces inside the city boundary.

You probably think they also go on fire all the time and everyone has a charger plugged into a diesel generator in their back garden. 

it's got nowt to do with the increase in traffic (inc a significant increase in delivery vans) and the reduction of road repair budgets with councils. 

Yes, I own an electric car. 

EV’s are computers on wheels and open your eyes to accurate costing - journeys / miles / average speeds and electricity consumption stats are available at the press of a button.

With EV I slid into solar - I have no desire to save the planet but my own view of the world is that (1) nothing gets any cheaper, especially energy (until mini nuke power plants are deployed) and (2) global politics suggests continued unrest and escalating energy prices for the foreseeable. So when I ran the break even numbers for solar about 10 years ago there was no point because the break even was North of 15 years away, but when I ran them a year or so ago the price of the kit had fallen and the break even dropped to IIRC 7 years. I think if I reran the numbers now, it would be nearer to 5 years.

Anyway, having something do something without any effort or conscious effort on my part really appealed - every day, doing noting and I’m getting free leccy off the roof which I use, store in a battery and stick into my EV.

We got an energy update graph in from Scottish Power - you can see when the solar panels went in in April of last year.

And it’s an overcast day today and we’re pulling 2.62 KW off the roof. In hindsight I would have tried harder to get more panels on the roof - I think we have 12, but the roof configuration is all over the place.

IMG_8094.jpeg

IMG_8093.png

21 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Yes, it certainly makes sense in your set-up.

I think it does for 99% of the population if they are realistic about their car usage / journeys. Mention EV and the first thing people say is ‘you couldn’t drive to Scotland in it in one go’. True as that is, the underlying truth is that at 52 years of age I’ve never driven to Scotland yet and have no plans to.

4 hours ago, Mungler said:

With EV I slid into solar - I have no desire to save the planet but my own view of the world is that (1) nothing gets any cheaper, especially energy (until mini nuke power plants are deployed) and (2) global politics suggests continued unrest and escalating energy prices for the foreseeable. So when I ran the break even numbers for solar about 10 years ago there was no point because the break even was North of 15 years away, but when I ran them a year or so ago the price of the kit had fallen and the break even dropped to IIRC 7 years. I think if I reran the numbers now, it would be nearer to 5 years.

I'd strongly suggest that anyone who can afford solar+battery, gets it toot sweet.  Given the lunatic running energy policy at the moment, electricity is going to sky rocket again shortly.  We came perilously close to rolling black outs winter before last.

3 hours ago, Mungler said:

I think it does for 99% of the population if they are realistic about their car usage / journeys.

The issue with EV uptake is not just range anxiety, it’s cost.  People on a business lease/company car-type scenario are one thing, but they do represent a tiny proportion of the car buying public.

I too, could probably switch to an EV tomorrow, if I could keep my pickup for the other tasks it has to fulfil.  So far, any attempts to make an EV pickup (for the European market) have stalled due to basic physics, i.e. EVs rely on a low Cd to get decent range. This is hard achieve with an open-bed pickup, and even harder when dragging 3.2Te worth of trailer at 60 mph.

Incidentally, I think people misunderstand range anxiety too.  As an example, my missus took the kids to see their cousins yesterday, a 120-mile each way trip, from the South West to the Midlands.  Ok, 240-odd miles with the air con going, with 2 adults and 2 children, should be doable in a modern EV…but it’s a hassle she could do without.  The idea of stopping to charge, or even charging at the destination hardly appeals either.  And in winter?  Compare this with just making sure there diesel tank was full before she left, no risk of extended stays at motorway services, no measurable range-drop when running the HVAC.

7 hours ago, markm said:

You probably think they also go on fire all the time and everyone has a charger plugged into a diesel generator in their back garden. 

No. But I did work for a motor insurance brokerage and know they are a small but quantifiable greater risk of fire if involved an accident.

it's got nowt to do with the increase in traffic (inc a significant increase in delivery vans) and the reduction of road repair budgets with councils. 

Peugeot 208 1.2 petrol 1,090 Kg. Peugeot 208 e208 all electric 1,910 kg.

BMW 4 Gran Coupe 1,695 Kg. BMW 4 i4 2,065 Kg. 

An average electric vehicle weighs 200 to 300 Kg more than the direct equivalent petrol engine model.

Yes, I own an electric car. 

Welcome to the company of those of us with petrol and diesel vehicles using the UK's road network that pay VED for the privilege.

Edited by enfieldspares

I hope people keep buying them.

I need that grid to expand I just put a few quid into the £7bn rights issue to expand the grid. Another great project for getting the economy moving, particularly with relaxed planning laws.  Electric is the future. 

6 hours ago, Mungler said:

EV’s are computers on wheels and open your eyes to accurate costing - journeys / miles / average speeds and electricity consumption stats are available at the press of a button.

Anyway, having something do something without any effort or conscious effort on my part really appealed - every day, doing noting and I’m getting free leccy off the roof which I use, store in a battery and stick into my EV.

We got an energy update graph in from Scottish Power - you can see when the solar panels went in in April of last year.

And it’s an overcast day today and we’re pulling 2.62 KW off the roof. In hindsight I would have tried harder to get more panels on the roof - I think we have 12, but the roof configuration is all over the place.

It's the way to go and quite addictive. Only today I brought 400ah of gel battery on board the boat for my solar. I just need more surface area for panels 😁 I doubt it will ever break even for me but it will make off grid a lot easier.

I now have a commute of approximately 40 miles. 
not a great journey but it does add up.

I ran the numbers on a cheap as chips first generation Nissan leaf. 
even with the rubbish 50 miles range of a slightly depleted battery and a 9 hour full charge from a domestic socket I think I worked out the break even cost on purchase and charging was 2 years compared to 2 years worth of fuel in my current motor.  
it came in at 12 months if I ditched the car at that point and at a price it would sell easily(ish) at. 

i am tempted. 

21 minutes ago, ph5172 said:

I now have a commute of approximately 40 miles. 
not a great journey but it does add up.

I ran the numbers on a cheap as chips first generation Nissan leaf. 
even with the rubbish 50 miles range of a slightly depleted battery and a 9 hour full charge from a domestic socket I think I worked out the break even cost on purchase and charging was 2 years compared to 2 years worth of fuel in my current motor.  
it came in at 12 months if I ditched the car at that point and at a price it would sell easily(ish) at. 

i am tempted. 

£4k odd gets you an 18 plate Leaf with less than 40k on the clock. The bumpf says they’re good for 160 miles but assume winter and traffic jams and half that still gets you 80 miles.

Looking at those for sale, they’re good for over 100k miles. 

Won’t pull any birds but cheap commuting with next to no bills.

It is worth getting a home charger.

Edited by Mungler

I met a retired USN Vice Admiral some five years ago, who was pushing mini-nuc. reactors to HMG. 
There was an issue with training the number of nuclear technicians needed for the tech, but aside from that lots seemed a great idea. Each one can power a decent-sized city. Being built close to consumers removed the need to invest heavily in the National Grid. 
But there was no buy-in from the Civil Service. Too innovative, fear of Chernobyl, new technology, etc.
So it comes to pass that nothing’s happened in half a decade and that tumour Milliband’s spunking it all away on wind, rainbows and magic beans.

12 minutes ago, Flashman said:

I met a retired USN Vice Admiral some five years ago, who was pushing mini-nuc. reactors to HMG. 
There was an issue with training the number of nuclear technicians needed for the tech, but aside from that lots seemed a great idea. Each one can power a decent-sized city. Being built close to consumers removed the need to invest heavily in the National Grid. 
But there was no buy-in from the Civil Service. Too innovative, fear of Chernobyl, new technology, etc.
So it comes to pass that nothing’s happened in half a decade and that tumour Milliband’s spunking it all away on wind, rainbows and magic beans.

******* Milliband😂😂😂😂😂😂

he can't handle a bacon sandwich let alone a pie in the sky power generation project 👍

Out of semi serious curiosity I ran a couple of quotes today on some EVs

The insurance premiums were ridiculous.
I’m a man of a certain age with over 25 years no claims.

to insure a Nissan leaf was double our jag and similar to insuring that and our other daily driver. 

add another £450 a year and I could insure a Ferrari California. 

I often wonder how insurance works