Livery Yard

libs

:) Just got a nono on a local livery yard. I asked if I could shoot rabbits and pioems in the furthest fields from the clients but got a big: theres horses.... people... complain...noise... etc...

I made a point of saying only in fields with no horses, and during the day when less people would be around to hear the noise (although the clay ground can be heard all day??!!)

Has anyone had any luck with farms open to the general animal loving public before?

:P Just got a nono on a local livery yard. I asked if I could shoot rabbits and pioems in the furthest fields from the clients but got a big: theres horses.... people... complain...noise... etc...

I made a point of saying only in fields with no horses, and during the day when less people would be around to hear the noise (although the clay ground can be heard all day??!!)

Has anyone had any luck with farms open to the general animal loving public before?

If there are horses about i always ask if can use ferrets :)

We have three small equine permisions and a forth waiting for my certificate to be opened as it's a tad small even for FAC air because there's limited backstops. We've had knockbacks from some too. It's well worth asking because if they have bunnies digging holes where horsey trots it might get a broken ankle.

ive got a 18acre livery yard that has free range chickens. i can shoot any of the fields with the horses in or not.foxes and pigeons and squizzers and rabbits whatever and whenever i like i just turn up and shoot it does help that we have had horses there for ages.and i can ride my quad all over them too with no problems.the horses are fine there more inquisitive than any thing else i find myself getting followed round the field at night when foxing there.

My wife has had horses at many yards. At one there were a couple of brothers that used to shoot air rifles (i think one was an AA410 with mod), still our horse spazzed out at the click when it went off. Problem with livery yards is lots of owners realise horses are as thick as a plate of mince, it's just a matter of finding the ones that don't mind as much.

• 4 weeks later...

I shot at two local riding stables and both also do livery, I found asking in the winter time when some of the horses may be kept in because of the cold and mud. They both have quite a few rabbits on, so asking to shoot the fields when the horses are put away got my foot in the door. I now can come and go when i want.

all depends on the horses some will bolt off into a fence at the sound of a silenced rifle and the same ones dont mind a shotgun noise! just speak to the owners of the horses and as long as the horses can see you usually they arent as spooky when you shoot

I took a shot earlier in the year and luckily the landowner was stood next to me telling me to pott a rabbit at the time then after taking the shot the horse bolted squashing one of the stable cats which the vet bill was in excess of £1000 for both its back legs broken

but luckily she saw the blame as her own and I was off the hook

however she did scowl when I asked if she wanted me to finish the cat off! (how was I to know it would make a full recovery!) :):good:

what im trying to say is shooting around horses is when you need to have a good insurance in place as they are totally unpredictable and tend to do stupid things

Having owned horses I can fully understand the farmer/owners point of view.

Why upset expensive stock and fee paying customers, just to allow someone to fire a shotgun at rabbits ( for nothing).

Be honest, that doesn't make sense to anyone.

An approach with ferets, or silenced airguns might get a different reaction.

I use to ferret a large stables and adjoining grazing fields and know of a few people that use silenced air rifles around livestock.

With the rate your aging (16 to 99 in a couple of days according to your profile!) you won't have reason to shoot soon anyway! :good:

Of the 3000 acres/dozen farms that I shoot I always keep clear of the horses on each farm (they all seem to have one or two) - not only are they easily spooked, but people are also very protective over them.

Edited by Oly

• 3 months later...
hi guys,

Iv been ask to shoot some rabbits on a couple of horse fields, problem is the lady who ask me only rents the fields from a farmer and has no shooting rights.

can i shoot with her permision or do i need to get it from the farmer?

thanks in advance

Paul

not sure on that , but if she is the tennant then i dont see why not.

dont forget that the law states that landowners etc must ( by law ) control vermin on thier land and rabbits are definatley unwanted pests around horse paddocks

your doing a service for him and the lady , so just go with it until someone say other.

just to add i own 2 horses and belong to a livery yard and never ever shoot while horse are in the paddocks only if they are stabled or otherside of the farm , and then i use a silenced air rifle or a 410 hushpower.

horse's cost big time the last thing you need is someone trying to sue you for damage to there property :welcomeani:

cheers