Nomination For The Worst Gun Shop In Britain

Blackbart

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We hadn't left the topic, had we?

Well, of the previous 9 replies, 7 were for best, 1 for worst and 1, yours, a bit of each. So, strictly, pedanticaly speaking, yes. :P

And there is another, concurrent thread for best. Hopefully I'll find somewhere to nominate on that one.

Wish I'd seen this thread earlier,

I ordered a pair of wellies online from Deep Blue almost 2weeks ago,

the website said they were instock & estimated dispatch time would be the same day,

just recieved an email today to say they have been dispatched.

Can't see me using them again!

BACK ON TOPIC

Town & Country Sports, Botley (Southampton).

These guys could be rude at Olympic level in their sleep!

OK, their cartridges are well priced, but I feel as I have been shagged every time I go there, I certainly don't stop to see what else I could buy while I'm visiting. Last time I went I dared to ask what might be better cartridges (more expensive), I ended up with the cheapest as the person serving didn't seem to want to speak to me!

I'd agree with that ^

Lambert and Wiltshire in Ringwood arnt much better but make more of an effort than Town and Country Sports. Once i was looking at a Browning o/u 12bore in Lambert and Wiltshire, checked the gun over and everything then noticed a large dent in the rib, pointed it out to the bloke working there and he replied with "yeah i know about that, was hoping you wernt going to notice it" wasnt overly impressed with that beleive it or not!

Keens Bridgend must be the worst I have delt also Top prices for every thing :P:ernyha::drinks:

+1

I am surprised to have read this thread to page 7 before this name cropped up. Been there once on a recce before I got my license - needless to say have never stepped in there since

I would like to second the comment about gardner guns north of Carlisle. I popped in to get some mounts for my .22 after getting it from my nomination for worst gunshop; he's been mentioned on here before, but i think it is low mill ranges in cumbria. Not that i've had many bad experiences in gunshops, and it may have been my fault for being in about an hour before closing time. However, I went in specifically to look at 10/22 rugers, he did quite the hard sell in trying to reccomend the magtech (from what i've heard since i'm more than pleased that I didn't fall into that pit). He refused to believe me that the new 10/22's have plastic trigger groups, even when i pointed one out on his new 10/22's. He also seemed keen on selling me one of the mp5 style ones, which i definately didn't want. Althoguh the experience wasnt bad then. When it came to actually doing the deal His attitude was terrible, after trying to negotiate price a little he got into a huff and took the gun and put it back on the shelf. Personally I will never go back there, however I probably don't think they are the worst in the country.

When I went into Gardners guns it was like a world of change, the person was tremendously helpful. unfortunatley the weaver rail that was put on my 10/22 had had the original rear screw thread damaged and it had been drilled and rethreaded with a dome head screw which made it impossible to put mounts on.

When It comes to best gunroom, I would like to put forward the Weldon gun room, as has been mentioned before. The lady I spoke to there was exceptionally helpful, and did a very good deal, leaving me extremely happy. Infact thanks to the deal they did on a little cz hmr and whitetail classic 1-5 scope. They will be my first port of call when I'm looking to get a 30-06 sauer and swarovski / s+b scope.

Hi there is some bad shops out there I live in Lincolnshire, where the best shop is situated it is forest lodge guns in Wragby. it is run by gentlemen they have time for every one. As a relativly new shooter (only 3 years) I still have gaps in my knoledege and they are always very helpfull.

Good shooting John

Churchills of dereham are pretty bad, last time i went in there was to p/x a hushpower 12g mossberg. the ***** kept me waiting for over an hour just to offer me a ridiculous price on a p/x for a 22/250 that he had in the shop for over a year. A real smug slimy ***.

needless to say, didn't do any deal and went to norfolk sporting guns instead, much better, offered £150 more for mine, got discount off winchester mod 70 coyote light and scope, and got bases and weaver mounts free.

Just a little more about churchills, i work part time in a small gun shop in norwich, and we seem to get an awful lot of people come in with guns that originally came from there with some serious faults.

• 1 year later...

do you know what the £8 a box were?

Stuteleys are a breath of fresh air and seems like they are expanding their re-loading range for anyone interested.

I'll scrap anything good said about this lot, ordered a gun in on the 17th of Jan and it arrived a few days after but not screwcut. That was meant to take a week and still not got it, more to the point I haven't been told of any delays and when I've chased I just get told we'll check and call you back, so far 3 times they haven't called back and I had to go in on Thursday to get an answer which was it would be in by Tuesday this week and strangely no sign of it :no:

I've not put any money down but because it had to go off to be cut I do feel sort of obligated to buy it but really wondering how long before calling it a day :/

Yet... I disagree!

Couldn't have been more helpful when I purchased a new 243 and mod from there back in the Summer.. At a very good price too!

If I found myself in the area again, I wouldn't hesitate to go back.

Churchills of dereham are pretty bad, last time i went in there was to p/x a hushpower 12g mossberg. the ***** kept me waiting for over an hour just to offer me a ridiculous price on a p/x for a 22/250 that he had in the shop for over a year. A real smug slimy ***.

needless to say, didn't do any deal and went to norfolk sporting guns instead, much better, offered £150 more for mine, got discount off winchester mod 70 coyote light and scope, and got bases and weaver mounts free.

Just a little more about churchills, i work part time in a small gun shop in norwich, and we seem to get an awful lot of people come in with guns that originally came from there with some serious faults.

BACK ON TOPIC

Town & Country Sports, Botley (Southampton).

These guys could be rude at Olympic level in their sleep!

OK, their cartridges are well priced, but I feel as I have been shagged every time I go there, I certainly don't stop to see what else I could buy while I'm visiting. Last time I went I dared to ask what might be better cartridges (more expensive), I ended up with the cheapest as the person serving didn't seem to want to speak to me!

I'd agree with that ^

Lambert and Wiltshire in Ringwood arnt much better but make more of an effort than Town and Country Sports. Once i was looking at a Browning o/u 12bore in Lambert and Wiltshire, checked the gun over and everything then noticed a large dent in the rib, pointed it out to the bloke working there and he replied with "yeah i know about that, was hoping you wernt going to notice it" wasnt overly impressed with that beleive it or not!

Agreed :yes:

I was quoted, from Lambert and Wilts, for a stock adjustment (comb lowered and cast taken off) and to replace the little bit of solder that fills the gap between the rib and barrels at the muzzle, a reasonable sum of £80.

A week later I picked up the gun, cast was taken off :good: comb was lowered, no oil had been applied to where the comb had been sanded down, so you could clearly see the lighter/bare wood :rolleyes: no solder in the gap at the muzzle end of the barrels :rolleyes:

Tells me I owe £100 for the work :lol:

Another vote for deep blue.

I have been there twice,first time with a mate who had just bought a second hand AA 410.

We suspected it was over 12 ftlbs .

we went in without the gun and asked if they would chrono and set the rifle at 11.5ftlbs.

the assistant said they could but if it was over 12 ftlbs the gun was illegal and would be confiscated.

on my second visit,i saw a 6 gun cabinate on there web site.

I phoned to see if they were in stock, they had one left so i asked them to keep it and i,d drive straight through from sunderland about 45mins.

On arrival a woman was leaving the shop with a shop assistant pushing a gun cabinate that looked like the one i asked them to hold for me.

Sure enough it was i asked the lad behind the counter if they could order another one for me after they denied taking my phone call.

he told me he could but it would be another £15 quid because that one had stood in the shop for 2 years.

Told him what i was thinking and that i would never be back.

:angry::angry:

garyb pointed me towards it http://www.stutleygun.co.uk/index.html they're really friendly on the phone and they seem to have loads of stock of ammo.

Stutley Gun Shop, 26 Whitehorse Street, Baldock, Hertfordshire SG7 6QQ

Stutlys are excellent, Steve is very knowledgable and very helpful (Wednesday is his day off)

Different Calibre at Letchworth also pretty good, I nick name the owner Daniel Doom, if you can turn off from the doom and gloom every thing else is OK

All of you ought to go and try Colchester Shooting Centre. You will never think another shop is bad after that.

The shop is run by an arrogant **** they are overpriced and the customer service is non existent. They will never order anything in specially and will only sell the items on their stock list.

He almost put me off starting to shoot,went in there for advise on how/where to go and I would never go in there again. Got a much better service from Johnathan Brown always use him.

Haggis.

Formerley called SHOOTING SHACK on halliwell road in bolton, lancashire .Dont bother lads hes a #### . Get to bond and bywater in preston Pete and Phil are top men to deal with Bought a 223 off them last week. Had a good chat and even did me a brew and also a good deal on the rifle.

im in agreement with blackbart,has to be DEEP BLUE in whitley bay,absolute pile of ****,the website IS there for all to see,but they dont know what theyre talking about,ask a simple question and you get a shrug of the shoulders,ive give feedback on there feedback page just for the hell of it,they also say"IF YOU CANT FIND WHAT YOUR LOOKING FOR HERE,YOU WONT FIND IT ANYWHERE", :lol::lol::lol: ,OH and if youre looking for clothing,forget it,unless your waist size is 54" and boot size 6..........

DAZ

Bucks gun shops (in my experience)

Frederick Beesley's, Donaldson's and Oxford Gun Co....bad service (feels like they're only bothered if you're spending a LOT of money)

Stockcraft's in Milton Keynes...good service (will give good advice, friendly, well stocked and good prices too!)

Anyone else had similar experience with these shops?

I agree with you re: Donaldsons in Fenny Stratford, not very helpful unless you're lloking to blow big cash. A bit up themselves too I find.

R&K Stockcraft - OKish. They are expensive and they do take the 'up themselves' award for the area. The taller chap (I think an/the owner) is almost a caricature of himself.

I had need to take a tx200 to their gunsmith to have work done. It was resprung and serviced but was awful to cock (LOADS of effort) and recoiled horribly. Cost the thick end of 60 quid too. I wouldn't take a gun there for work to be done.

You can only afford to be so pompous if you give great service at a sensible price.

Castle Ashby Gun Room? Seem OK but I have call to question the chaps knowledge. Good prices though and friendly enough.

I'm certainly happy to go there for carts. Not sure on their gun prices yet but they seem to have a reasonable selection of used SBS and O/U's.

Sadly Willards in New Bradwell, Milton Keynes only goes as far as FAC/Legal Limit Air rifles which is a shame because Tims knowledge is excellent and he himself is an excellent smith. Prices are decent and you get good advice.

If anyone can recommend an outstanding gunshop not massively far from MK/Bedford/Northampton area I would be very grateful.

Duncan

deffo deep blue went in for new gun cabinetand 12g carts came out with niether gun bit wasnt open as lad who runs that section was shooting on that saturday the shops bizziest day and they order cabinets into shop but add postage costs £30 thats full price +£30 to there shop and id need to pick it up ,got one direct to door alot cheaper than they quoted and there attitude :huh::huh:

Edited by remmy1100

Essex Gun always take very good care of me. Huge stock of pretty much everything, from what I can tell.

Always found essex gun helpfull but in saying that they won't stock wmr ammo, as "no one uses it any longer"

and i ordered a front sling attachment for a 391 6months ago, went in there last week and "its not in yet" :hmm:

Seen no mention of leech & sons from the essex boys (good or bad) ?

paul

I'm suprised no-one has mentioned Cheshire Gun! Full of clueless kids and run by an arrogant cock. The number of times I drive Passed needing stuff but I've given up even asking and try Branthwaites or Trent firearms as they are both spot on!

My Worst and Best Gunshops:

WORST: Brown Trout on Cold Bath Road in Harrogate - Paid them (Tim) a visit with my newly issued FAC wanting to fill my gun safe. I got a lot of talk, but they (Tim) did not seem the least bit interested in selling me a thing. Another time I wanted to purchase ammo - the help said they were out! I've heard from other local shooters and shops that if you don't have the correct look and dress - Tim can not be bothered with you.

BEST: Northallerton Shooting & Countrywear @ 1 The Fairway Romanby Northallerton North Yorkshire (http://www.nsac.co.uk). Purchased two rifles and ammo from them. Great Friendly Service. Even when I was just asking questions and not ready to buy.

Stutlys are excellent, Steve is very knowledgable and very helpful (Wednesday is his day off)

Different Calibre at Letchworth also pretty good, I nick name the owner Daniel Doom, if you can turn off from the doom and gloom every thing else is OK

Don't whatever you do get them to order anything in at stuteleys or let them send a rifle off to be cut at riflecraft thats what I think is causing my problem with them. I was warned by a few people round the place and sadly ignored it as they are local and I know Jim. Can't see why they are having trouble with basic customer service as lets face it the shooting world is pretty small so it may be why business is slow for them,