Cartridge choice for decoying pigeons

Cartridge of choice when decoying pigeon?  

139 members have voted

1. 1. Choose

• 7 1/2
    • 7's
    • 6 1/2
    • 6's
    • Other

So guys there has been a raging debate on suitable pigeon catridges. Please bear in mind when you choose your answer that this is based on shooting at sensible range (i.e. 30 yards). To be honest I don't think there is any right or wrong answer, it should be whatever works best for you. My choice would be 7 1/2 28g :unsure:

Edited by ollie

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:unsure: Im sure that most of the people on here using inadequate shells for pigeon do so out of necessity of keeping costs low and are protesting so to try and justify it.

HAVING to wait for a bird to get in sooooooooooo close as your cartridge is inadequate is hardly sporting or challenging is it? :angry:

Edited by Evil Elvis

6 of us and we all use 28gram 7's or 7 1/2's whichever is available at the time. Generally we all shoot over decoys, which are set at 25yds, so shots rarely exceed the 40 yd mark. Clean kills are guaranteed at this range.

On the quiet days when the birds turn away on the horizon and a shot is taken from frustration, I have seen them dead in the air a long way out with this cartridge, though have never measured the distance. Seen them winged too and walked for miles to pick them up.

Beautiful bird the Pigeon and I admire it for it's grace in the air, resilience and ability to adapt, though am charged to kill it, so I question the respect bit. Anyway, the last time I made my respect for a bird known, she wouldn't sleep with me.

To be honest I don't think there is any right or wrong answer, it should be whatever works best for you. My choice would be 7 1/2 28g :unsure:

Well, I'm afraid there is a right answer, and it's minimum shot size 6, minimum load 30g, ideally 32g. :angry:

When you've learned a bit more about this game, hopefully the penny will drop, this is not a subject to be flippant about, using light loads and small shot without sufficient striking energy WILL result in more suffering from wounded birds.

Cat.

Well, I'm afraid there is a right answer, and it's minimum shot size 6, minimum load 30g, ideally 32g. :unsure:

When you've learned a bit more about this game, hopefully the penny will drop, this is not a subject to be flippant about, using light loads and small shot without sufficient striking energy WILL result in more suffering from wounded birds.

Cat.

Hi, Interesting. Been at it for 50 years and still learning. What would you say the minimum energy (lbs ft for this old dodderer would be good) is assuming a sufficient pellet strike?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers

Accordiing to the Eley shooters diary the minimum to ensure a clean kill on a medium sized bird like a pigeon in 3 pellets carrying at least 0.85ft lb of energy.

A no.7 size pellet only just has this (0.86ft lb) at 45 yards and that is assuming you can get 3 pellets to strike at that distance.

Eley do not list a 7.5 as they don't load Game cartridges in that size.

A no.6 size pellet carries 1.01 ft lb at 50 yards so is more than adequate to do the job.

Well, I'm afraid there is a right answer, and it's minimum shot size 6, minimum load 30g, ideally 32g. :unsure:

Cat.

So is 15 years or so not long enough to learn about shooting. Yes I still learn new things but I have been shooting pigeons long enough to know what I am talking about and I have the experience to know what works for me.

MC: I didn't make this poll to prove I am right, I knew that the majority of people were gonna choose 6's, but I wanted sensible responses, not snide cheeky comments from the like of you and Catamong.

MC: I didn't make this poll to prove I am right, I knew that the majority of people were gonna choose 6's, but I wanted sensible responses, not snide cheeky comments from the like of you and Catamong.

actually I think his post of the Eley facts above your last post confirmed that 7's were fine at 30 yards and just about passable at 45 :unsure:

So guys there has been a raging debate on suitable pigeon catridges. Please bear in mind when you choose your answer that this is based on shooting at sensible range (i.e. 30 yards). To be honest I don't think there is any right or wrong answer, it should be whatever works best for you. My choice would be 7 1/2 28g :unsure:

Ollie, hi,

As I posted, I chose to ignore your 30yds. That was my privilege just as it was your's to set that figure. Certainly, the majority of my shooting and that of most game is shot at that range. However, we share an honour in as much as we've both been told that we're doing it wrong in no uncertain terms by Catamong.

MC has kindly answered (correctly) the question I asked Catamong. To allow for cases where you do not strike with the head of the shot string, I round this up to 1.0 to compensate. Using the same observed velocity as the Eley figures this rounded up figure will be achieved out to 35 yards for 7.5 shot. At 30 yds a TC barrel will exceed the pellet density required for a 3 pellet strike every shot. A second barrel at IC to allow for the smaller head on target will complete a very efficient combination provided, it must be said, that your stated range is not overly extended.

Cheers,

Your partner in crime

Edit: Spelling

Edited by wymberley