Jailed for lobbing fire extinguisher - right or wrong?

death from below

How many on this site have ever actually experienced a real prison/ YOC for themselves - don't believe all the hype the papers print - on face value this bloke seems to be a normal type who does not have umpteen convictions and followed a life of crime - believe me, having your liberty taken away is soul destroying - he has been snetenced but it will not be a butlins holiday camp for him - yes it's easy for the scum of this world he see being locked up as an acceptable hazard as a byproduct of thier lifestyle - for people who do not follow tat lifestyle, being locked up is anything but a laugh(which is the idea of prison in the the first place). For the habitual offender at least prison/YOC keeps them away from normal citizens. For the likes of this oik, I could imagine it will be hard time, even if you believe he will be playing PS3 20 hours a day.

I'd agree with that.

He doesn't seem like your average leftie agitator. More like a kid who got carried away in the moment, and the excitement of being in with the 'big boys'. I doubt he left home that morning intent on causing trouble, and the fact that none of the usual 'anarchist' suspects were outside the court 'supporting' him speaks volumes. He looked like a lost little boy to me.

Having said that he deserves his sentence, and was very lucky he wasn't facing a far more serious charge. I doubt he'll get an easy ride inside, and he'll certainly have plenty of time to reflect on how one moment of madness has changed his life, possibly forever.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've worked in prisons, Young offenders institutions, secure training centres, immigration removal centres, mental healthcare secure units etc

I don't know the bloke. But if he is just a normal kid he probably will have a hard time of it in there. However I think the hardest thin for him will be being surrounded by little ****ers who don't give a **** and being away from his family and friends.

Either way he deserves to be in there. He could of killed more than one of those police officers. Think of one of the dead coppers kids crying because daddy isn't coming home.

I've dropped quite a few extinguishers on my feet over the years and it hurts, I can't imagine the damage it would of done from that distance.

Without getting to geeky, it's a good job it was a decent extinguisher, BS kitemarked, not some of the chimeras cheap ****. Notice it didn't explode in the ground.

i think what your man is trying to say is that when the muslim protesters where at wooton basset screaming murderers and numerous racial hatred banters to our returning soliers alive and dead also when they stood in the capital of this country on the 11/11 burning the poppy the symbol of those lost in battle or defending us, where any of them arrested let alone jailed, can anyone answer that one, as far as the **** with the exstinguisher i think he got what he deaserved. matt

However distasteful those actions may be, they are not in the same league as the actions of this nutter that essentially amount to attempted murder. Had any of those muslim protesters done anything that deliberately tried to kill or seriously injure policemen then you can be sure as hell they would be in prison now. And if our 'student' had only shouted offencive remarks and burned symbols of capitalism, like lots of other protesters that day, then nobody would have heard of him. He wasn't just badly behaved, offensive or unpleasant. He tried to kill or seriously injure people. I think he got off lightly.

Nice to see swift justice.

I'm sure the knife point muggers and crack dealers in Feltham will give that nice, educated young man the sympathy and understanding he deserves.

I wonder if he's familiar with the prison term 'sissy boy'. If not, he will be soon.

fudd

i dont think he intended to actually kill anyone, however what he done was totally unforgivable, he will pay the price for his actions, as he should, at least he had the decency to hand himself in, has anyone been arrested for the hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of damage done? matt

If he had any intent to kill or seriously injure they would have tried to pin attempted murder on him. Recklessness isn't important when dealing with an issue of specific intent. He was an idiot, he deserves some punishment, but what people are trying to pin on to him seems crazy given the criminal justice system as a whole.

In all seriousness the sentencing is entirely out of sync.

If you want to get all official about it and see if you can get hold of the sentencing guidelines then you will see that under current guidelines he should have got "full credit" for a very very early guilty plea and saving the tax payer a bundle and a 50% reduction in his sentence.

If I was going to bet it I would have said 12 months, out in 6 for good behaviour or out in 4 on a tag if the prison's crowded.

It's all for publicity. It is daft that the Courts are sentancing nonces for only a couple of years and yet make an example of chummy.

I think he got what he deserved, at best his actions were reckless with no regard for the damage he could of caused and at worst it was attempted murder. Either way a normal member of society would not do it as they would think first.

Comparing this sentance to other's handed out for different crimes makes me think that the others just got off lightly, not that this one is too long.

A comparison for your consideration....

A drink driver who drives smashed out of his face and who by sheer luck manages not to have an accident or run anyone over; on a first offence that person will probably get a 9 month driving ban, 3 months driver rehab course and little chance of custody unless they blow 6x the limit. However they could have just as well taken out a bus queue of nuns and kids if you want to sentence "what could have happened".

I ain't sticking up for chummy, I just think all the sentences need an uplift

What result would a rational person think would happen if you hurl a 15kg object over a roof top from a height into a crowd, it is a small miracle that no one was killed. A spur of the moment decision that could have taken a life.

I have zero sympathy for him and think the sentence entirely just.

Given the fact that this particular idiot who got carried away got 2 years and ultimately didn't hurt anyone, looks pretty f ing stupid compared to the guy who killed my cousin in his car (quite deliberately) and got 6 months.

There is no justice in the UK.

I agree, He is an idiot, and a big one but i do question whether ruining his future is worthwhile and serves the public interest with Zero chance of rehabilitation and 95% chance of creating a career criminal or eternal dole monkey? HE should be punished perhaps custodial? I would have preferred him to be offered full term forces enrolement and instant prison if he failed to pass out. The guy/kid needs to learn some discipline and other life skills, not how to smuggle drugs into the nick and then get a degree in crime... How many idiots throw stuff of high rises for kicks and the police even bother to turn up or try and make an arrest? HE came forward and pleaded guilty in no way should he have received a sentence greater than the guy caught doing 172mph in a company porsche (10 weeks) IIRC (out in 6 if that?)

In my opinion they got this wrong.....

It's all for publicity. It is daft that the Courts are sentancing nonces for only a couple of years and yet make an example of chummy.

your dead right, but hey I bet the anarchist rent a mob that latch on to the students who tried to protest legitimately think more than twice before starting another riot, like they say cant make an omelette without breaking an egg.

KW

I think they hit him a bit too hard. He's obviously got a conscience and a well defined sense of right and wrong, and maybe 6 months would have sent the same message and still had the desired effect on him. I just dont see the point of turning him out of a prison as a bandy legged smack addict, there's no win for society in that.

A drink driver who drives smashed out of his face and who by sheer luck manages not to have an accident or run anyone over; on a first offence that person will probably get a 9 month driving ban, 3 months driver rehab course and little chance of custody unless they blow 6x the limit. However they could have just as well taken out a bus queue of nuns and kids if you want to sentence "what could have happened".

He's been made a scape goat to warn others protest yes,riot no ,sentence fair ?it was all over the media he is unfortunate that he has to seen to be severly punished ,to deture others from getting caught up in the moment and take responsibility for their actions,another 50 cms in the other direction and he would be up for man slaughter :no:

If he had any intent to kill or seriously injure they would have tried to pin attempted murder on him. Recklessness isn't important when dealing with an issue of specific intent. He was an idiot, he deserves some punishment, but what people are trying to pin on to him seems crazy given the criminal justice system as a whole.

Right to a large degree in the case of attempted murder - Wrong when talking of manslaughter when reckless abandonment can play a big part in a succesful conviction. Lobbing a heavy object off a building knowing that there are large groups of people below, if he had killed someone then manslaughter would be simple to prove, murder not so easy if not impossible. He got off lucky with the safe option the CPS decided to pursue him on.

The right result, but certainly too long a sentence.

My two kids (18/16yrs), and by no means screaming lefties, were up in arms at how long he was given and kept citing other cases where people were given derisory sentences for what appeared to be much more serious crimes.

I imagine it'll be reduced on appeal anyway.

P.

I have been reading this with interest and wondering how I would put my view across until I read this. I have to say I agree 100% with Mungler.

Yes this lad was wreckless. He did something very stupid but luckily nobody was hurt. Now I'm not saying let him off but I think "making an example" of someone is a poor show. As always an example has been made of someone who could have gone on to be a decent member of society. He messed up. It happens.

Somewhere in the world there will be a murderer, rapist, paedo - that has been let out early because there isn't enough space to keep them in. Who would you rather see inside? This lad who gave himself up and did the right thing, or the murderer that could possibly be in a pub right now getting tanked up and ready for his next big fight with some poor soul who happens to brush past him and spill a tenth of his pint?

When I was a lad I did something that could have killed several people just as easily as this lad could have. There was no intent there and until the moment I thought what I was doing was funny. Just like this lad it was my first offence and most probably my last. I now hold my FAC, have my own business etc. Should I have been locked up?

This kid should have been given the maximum community service permissable (I think 240 hours?). He'd spend every Saturday for a year picking up rubbish or painting railings and would learn from it. At the same time he could still go to uni around it and perhaps still make a decent person of himself in the long run. On the other hand he could learn from the scum in prison, wonder what the point of making an effort is and come out unable to get a job and ready to commit to a life of crime.

Good work British justice system, you've excelled yourself yet again! :rolleyes: