What impressive shot have you pulled off

30-6

As per title, not lucky long shots, but good shots when someone was present, and under pressure type of thing. I know a lot do it routinely, so this is directed at us mere mortals.

Most of us have been in a hide with a friend watching and been complemented on a good shot or even impressed ourselves, but one shot that stands out for me was on a feral pigeon.

A farmer was fed up of all the **** the ferals were leaving on his machinery, so i was going up now and again to clear them off the rafters which was short range shooting. With only a few left they were nervous to enter the buildings and became harder to shoot. I positioned myself in a building overlooking the yard and one landed on the roof to my right within range but a long shot to what i usually would take. I lined it up and the farmer came round the corner in his landrover, seen what i was doing and stopped for me to shoot, he was watching the bird for the outcome. I took the shot with an AA s200 in .22 and down tumbled the feral without a twitch, he looked at me an smiled ( which you never see him do as he's a grumpy ****** ) which i translated as a good sign.

That was for me a "memorable" shot.

My mate and I were up the farm, and I noticed a Crow in the field, some distance away. I/we estimated the range to be approx 200 yards, so, using my 22-250, I rested the rifle on a wide fence post, judged holdover, and fired. The Crow did not know what hit it. The next day, I used my laser range finder to measure the distance, which turned out to be 267 yards.

I wouldn't say it was "amazing" but one of the most "satisfying" shots I did was just last week. I have recently fitted a moderator to my .243 and got the rifle zeroed using a new stock of Partizan 90g softpoints (I have been using nothing but 70g homeloads recently) and I had not really had a chance to try it on any live quarry.

I went to the poultry farm the other morning to pick up a few trays of eggs for the pensioners that live in the block of flats where I live and decided to take the .243 in case there were any cubs mooching about. When I got there I spoke to Charlotte and got my eggs but could not see any signs of any foxes, there were however some crows hanging about the quarry so I decided to have a go at one. When I got the rifle out of it's case Charlotte asked if it was OK for her to watch, to whitch I said "Fine, I don't have a problem with making a fool of myself with someone watching"!

Charlotte watched the crow that I chose through my binoculars (as she was having a job seeing it with her naked eye at that range) - There were three crows all on the ground at about 220 to 230 yards with a safe backstop. I took a steady aim and squeezed the trigger. Charlotte's immediate reaction was to say "Pete, what just happened there? One minute I was looking at three crows and the next minute the middle one just exploded and disappeared in a puff of feathers?"

The crow I was aiming at had turned and faced me as I was taking aim and I hit it square in the breast and literally vapourised it! Not the most amazing shot compared with what some other members have done but very satisfying to know that this fat old so and so can still aim straight when he wants to!

shot a really nice fox at about 200 ish yards..it was running rite to left thru a field,russ had it in the lamp and shouted..it stopped for a secound and dropped to the shot...not a long shot by any amount but was one of my best.. :good:

66ce7777.jpg

Edited by archie1234

My brother in law target shoots and is not used to moving targets. We were out one day and I had the hmr. We saw a rabbit in the next field at least 80 yards away. It got up and started to run fast. I took aim and hit it straight through the chest. It was a very good shot but I played it down making my brother in law even more impressed :lol:

I went stalking New Zealand and the PH was being mildly patronising of a Brit Squaddie. A nice Red Stag presented its self I stalked to within 150m and had a clean heart shot, it's legs just crumpled.

The PH just said **** The Brit Army do still shot straight then.

I took that as a compliment.

Edited by welshwarrior

Ask bakerboy about his ball sack shot...

I am stil bruised, the mount was not correct.

I was sitting in the hide with Cos, the gun was closed and pointing forward out of the hide, the stock was held in my groin. A pigeon fly by on the edge of the tree canopy at the end of my barrels albeit a short way away, I pulled the stock into the groin and pulled the trigger moving the barrels along the flightline "textbook shooting".

Down came the pigeon, and a good shot call came from Cos. I never saw the bird come down, as I was having a "Harry Hill you have been framed moment" clutching the action man kit feeling like someone had stuck a pin in my right test-tick-all. The bruise took a day or so to come out.

Edited by bakerboy

on a beaters day surrounding a pond..along came a high mallard that no one even put thier gun up to because it was so high....bar me....gun up....bang duck down.... to shout of who the f""k was that... great shot....i still bring it up wenever we go to that place!!!

Hit a bolting rabbit at about 50 yards with GaryB's .22 once. That was good.

I also knocked a pigeon stone dead screaming overhead at about 30 yards with a shot from the first box of cartridges I put through my Hushpower .410, I was still working out how to shoot it and where to look etc. Total fluke.

Can't think of any really impressive shots that anyone's witnessed as i mainly shoot alone but the biggest fluff up I've ever made was in front of the couple who owned the land i was on.

I'd been rabbiting with my old baikal sxs and they came over for a chat, as the approached i broke my gun and took the cartridges out stood there about 10mins chatting about work as I work with the woman, next thing a fox came out of no where jumping through the barley we was facing about 20yrds out, I dropped the cartridges in and went to snap it shut but in my excitement I'd not put the cartridges in fully and couldn't shut it opened it and did the same thing again by the time I'd got it sorted the fox had come straight at us and darted right through the hedge 5yrds in front of us, I was a little embarrassed to say the least and got no end of ribbing off them both for the next month for been a 'fox lover' :blush: guess that's what happens when you try showing your safety conscious.

hit a rat that stuck its head out of a hole from 25 yrds with a stone, my brother hadnt seen it until i told him to walk over and remove the stone from the hole.it was a perfect fit and had smashed the rats eye out

swiss tony...it was on the parafin works at moorends, i was about 15