When it suddenly dawns on you that you are old.

Fisherman Mike

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another member of the shift who is under 25 wondering how we coped with just 3 TV channels and not the 900 odd on sky we have now as he grew up with Sky. Also suddenly realising that your old enough to be the father of the 20 year old that has just joined your shift.

You missed your cue to tell him we had 3 decent channels rather than another 897 channels full of ****! That's what real Oldies say!

When I think back at house prices, when I got married, bought me first house, a three bedroomed garden fronted terraced house, £5,100, you could get a decent second hand car now, for the same money, times defo have changed.

But Im still fit, work outside, do my shooting, sort my dogs, and got grey hair, so there you go.

loads of things to be honest-grey pubes -lack of hair-more ear hair/nose hair.waking up for a pee at 3am ,worse hangovers

I wasn't going to mention it,but seeing as you've brought it up.................. *** is that all about? ???:eh::lol:

I turned 37 at the weekend, it affected me more than I thought, seriously, it's (hopefully transiently) depressed me

Yep, I know the feeling, turned 37 a couple of months ago. It's thoroughly depressing, when you meet up with mates and reminisce about all those memorable nights out, and then realise your talking about stuff that happened 20 years ago.

+1

then a quick burst of the lovely Susanah on beeb1

:shaun:

:yes: Have to agree fella, Susanah is a honey.

Edited by the enigma

umm you need to switch progs fella....luv me sky news totty

for me its facing up to the fact i will soon be a grandad and all above board i should mention, as in my son (a man) and his wife a (female lady) expecting a normally produced baby by having marital relations. I realise in this gender bender modern era that’s a bit old fashioned but TBH I am quite proud of them not a gay blessing nor cross dresser in the mix (as far as one can tell)

Blummin miracle given the hereditary genetic predisposition and being from Suffolk 'n all that

Congrats grandad!

Getting old for me is seeing my GP more often since turning 40 than all the years before.

As for the rest of it - I still feel 24 years old

I can still remember my Mom handing over the ration books at butchers. - - only two cars in our road and milk delivered by horse and cart - and two people in road taking the accumalators to Post Office for a charged one - if you know what I am talking about you are as old as me.

Dave

Dave.

Happy memories ..... Happy memories.

You know that the years have suddenly and fuinally caught up with you when you look at threads with links like this one:

http://www.foxyhunters.co.uk/

and all you can think to yourself to yourself is:-

"Good God, if they stand about like that for long they will catch a hell of a cold"!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I was always taught to respect my elders, now I have a job to find any older than me.

If I had a birthday cake with all the candles I could turn the central heating off.

But still work a seven day week, and everything still works ok, firing on all cylinders,

no oil leaks, lights horn etc all working ok.

well im 41 now, soon to be 42. on the run up to my 40th i was the most miserable person anyone knew... and on the day i didnt leave the house! really really depressed about it.

as for feeling old, tuesday evening i was talking to a guy a year older than me when a rather attractive young lady wandered up on a horse, he looked at her then at me and said thats when you feel old, her mother is our age.. with the thoughts going through my mind at the time i didnt know wether to feel old or perverted :)

then theres the fact that the last year i have been to the hospital more than i have in the previous 40 put together

Edited by kiffy

About 5 years ago when I fell off my bike and, unlike when I was a kid, did not jump straight up and get back on it. In fact it took two people to lift me up from face down in the road. I did crazy stuff as a kid but never dislocated or broke any bones.

The other week it dawned on me that I'm older than anyone playing in the English football Premier League.

Four weeks ago I fell off my bike again, did jump straight back on but only managed a couple hundred metres before I stopped and had to call for help.

Post surgery to fix the collar bone, I was nearly kept in over night through an inability to pee. I have subsequently realised that I no longer pee with anything like the back pressure I used to.

The last time I had my eyes tested I was told I had better than 20:20 vision. Older friends told me your eyesight goes around 40. well it was 42 for me. I now understand the trouble my old man used to have when as a kid I used to shove a book under his nose and ask him what a word meant.

I've not been able to do much for the last four weeks and have thought about many things. My conclusion is I'm a bonafide oldie.

46 creaky and got 5 grandkids ,cor blimey i was at a 25year street party for Q E 2 now shes had her diamond jubilee ,time to reach for the werthers originals

I remember her corination street party I went to, just!

In the rememberance frame , cod liver oil capsuals stuffed in my mouth in the morning ( burping the taste of fish all morning)

A spone full of malt which helped take the taste of the cod tablet away .

A small bottle of milk stuffed down your throat every day at school which you had to drink, used to make me throw up.

All to help us keep healthy as granted by the gouverment of the day .

Now my joints creak and groan when I can get them to move at all, I should have kept takeing the cod liver oil capsuals :shifty:

A long time and lotsa memories, more to come I hope.

i am 6 months off the big 50 and the wife has me organising my birthday bash and for some reason i have thought more of my age this last 6 month than i have ever..... strange as it seems but i have met more people recently from my past than i can count , we have resurrected a bike club having a school reunion and old work colleagues it is rather strange, hope to hell i dont meet up with the 3 ex misses

The grey hairs and balding didn't faze me too much. The hair from the nose and ears didn't rock me. The ever expanding waistline I casually ignored. Looking at the Foxyhunters link above, I didn't want 'em to cover up to avoid getting a cold. But, when the doctor told me the other day that I've got early signs of Arthritis in my knee, there was no getting away from it, time is finally starting to get the better of me.