Wedding ring material ?

Salop Matt

Ladies & Gents,

Me and the Mrs are shopping for our wedding rings and are struggling to decide what we want !

Her engagement ring is platinum !

So am after feed back for hers and mine on what metals you have and how you've found them !

Silver is out as she reacts to it and we don't like yellow gold so what has been your findings and experiences ?

Regards

Matt

Platinum is not the most attractive of metals. But my advice having worked in the jewellery business many years ago ( I had a shop in Londons Hatton Garden) is don't spend a lot on your rings. They should be tokens and nothing more. a ring you spend thousands on will only cost the jeweller hundreds if that. People get swept up in the moment and get carried away with it all. Better to use the money for other things.

You would be amazed the number of times people have come in to sell rings and I have told them (honestly) they are worth two hundred tops and they have said "we paid four thousand for that ring" They usually doubt me at that stage and take it else where but my valuation was honest

Platinum is not the most attractive of metals. But my advice having worked in the jewellery business many years ago ( I had a shop in Londons Hatton Garden) is don't spend a lot on your rings. They should be tokens and nothing more. a ring you spend thousands on will only cost the jeweller hundreds if that. People get swept up in the moment and get carried away with it all. Better to use the money for other things.

You would be amazed the number of times people have come in to sell rings and I have told them (honestly) they are worth two hundred tops and they have said "we paid four thousand for that ring" They usually doubt me at that stage and take it else where but my valuation was honest

It isn't about the money though, the only thing that really matters is giving her what she wants and it will be priceless to her. This advice is coming from a generally very tight man.

Ok..... You fool you bought her platinum.... In terms of hardness realistically only a platinum wedding band will do in terms of hardness , wear and looks.

She has smaller fingers than you , so as long as she is persuaded to go for a thin band it will not be so painful in the pocket.!!!!!

As for you .... Platinum???? Forget it ... The cost will bring in the pains.

May I suggest palladium?"..... Almost there for a guy. Similar look but a manageable price considering that due to your man fingers the jeweller will need more metal to make a decent ring.......

Okay I'm thinking outside the box here a little.

I'm popping the question next month and I wanted something a little different and unique.

She loves the outdoors and all things natural so after a little searching I found these guys in the states.

http://www.bentwoodrings.com/

They are an absolute pleasure to deal with and everything is made to measure.

They got the ring to me in a few weeks (wavy zebra wood) and its beautiful.

I'm not suggesting it will outlast titanium ect but I think it's a great idea and something that by all accounts will last if cared for.

my wife has a gold one but i wanted something more hardy, wedding rings dont have to match in my view so i went for tungsten carbide, two years on and still as good as the day we bought it, im in the building game and a bit hard on my hands so it does get a lot of punishment, plus it was only 40 quid so left more funds available for my lovely ladies one, cheers matt

Platinum is the answer. My wifes engagement ring is a traditional tiffany solitaire and her wedding ring is a 1/2 diamond platinum eternity we had made very reasonably by a jeweler in birmingham if you want to know who pm me. Its excellent quality and mrs happy :D

Any other metal next to platinum won't last as well and will look cheap. Ny wedding ring is a court/donut style ring again made by same jeweler in platinum and in very pleased. Good luck

When my wife and I got married 16 years ago we hardly had pennies to rub together. So for us it was high street jeweller gold bands, my wife's was about £25 and mine was less than £20. We wear them everyday, mine is a bit bent but hers is fine. You should spend your money on something else useful like a nice watch or holiday.

If she has a Platinum Band already your best bet is go go for another Platinum, mainly because the friction of 2 different metals (one 'harder' that the other) will (eventually) wear away the softer metal.

On a side note I have 2 wedding rings, A Platinum for 'Best Wear' and a Tungsten Band for Work (the Vicar was quite happy to bless both rings and then hand the Tungsten band over to the best man so we could carry on with the 'Best bands')

Your best bet would be to have a day out in the Jewellry Quater in Birmingham (hundreds of shops for you to browse), If you want a good honest one PM me and i can pass on some details, we buy all of our things from him.

Edited by ph5172