Your greatest ever boxer and why

unapalomablanca

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cassius Clay,

when he was Cassius Clay.

I remember my father waking me up in the middle of the night to watch one of his live fights.

Magic

absolutely no one else was even close.

KW

The Celtic warrior, Steve Collins, He made Eubank look pretty ordinary twice. Could have gone a lot further where it not for injury.

Steve Collins sprung to my mind too. I used to make a point of watching his fights.

Ali is the best in my book - bar none, but the thread was about middleweights.

ah ok then how about a few flyweights then, as a young lad I used to work with a little chap called jossie hughes (long dead sadly) did a 14 round fight then came to work on night shift truly truly hard man now he WAS the best.

KW

So many quality boxers over the years, who gave so much - in contrast to Audley Harrison. He almost made me remember Joe Bugner with rose tinted glasses.

Years ago, I liked John H Stracey, Ralph Charles, Tom Imrie, Terry Downes, Colin Jones, the Finnegan brothers and John Conteh.

The best performance ever of a British boxer ,was when Lloyd Honygan beat Curry . Honygan went in as the massive under dog and wasn't given any chance to win by all of the pundits . If you watch the fight just look at the determination on Honygans face from round 1 . One of the biggest upsets in the history of boxing .

Harnser .

Edited by Harnser

The best performance ever of a British boxer ,was when Lloyd Honnigan beat Curry . Honnigan went in as the massive under dog and wasn't given any chance to win by all of the pundits . If you watch the fight just look at the determination on Honnigans face from round 1 . One of the biggest upsets in the history of boxing .

Harnser .

I remember at the time Don Curry's camp wanted the fight postponed as he was suffering with flu , but he thought Hunnigan was a easy option so he chose to fight . Don Curry was a class fighter but never recovered from that defeat.

Anybody who will fight in a ring should be recognised but my choice would be,

Roberto Duran (Hands of Stone). Brought up in (total) poverty, fighting US Marines as a kid to get clothes, and Sonny Liston (what an absolute ******) until you read about how he was brought/dragged/kicked up. Numerous others but these two are my favs, others would be Ernie Shavers, and the young George Foreman and Mr Mike Tyson.

I;m a Hagler fan. One of my earliest memories was my dad showing me him cutting Minter to bits. Great fighter he was. When it comes to British fighters then Benn for me, his fight against Mc Clelland is the best scrap i've watch in my time so far, and no doubt won't watch a more brutal fight again!!