Anyone Shoot A 16 Bore

Does anyone own or shoot with a 16 bore ?

I sold my 12g SXS and had a fancy for a change so just been getting a 16 bore sxs.

I have never ever owned or shot one, the Wallnut stock sold the gun to me...now I am thinking about what I could use it for other than collecting dust.

It's an old gun and shows signs that it has been used, what do you use yours for ?

16 bores are really useable guns. I've got an Army & Navy sidelock, circa 1912, and it does everything a 12 bore can but weighs a whole load less. I use it for game, Pigeons and Rabbits (with as much success as I do with a 12 bore) with 28g loads. Probably my favorite gun (at present!) and it'll be used this weekend decoying over emerging Lucerne. The cost of cartridges, although more than 12 bore, isn't prohibitive. On the lookout now for an English 16 bore boxlock...

In the 80s I had a Bakil 16g hammer gun & it was very strong & had loads of meat on the barrels & really tight chokes & had a beech stock & sling carrying swivels & do you know what ? I had more unthinkable rights & lefts with that gun than any other I have had & I curse the day I sold it .

It was a great knock about & rough shooting gun & I was so so sorry I ever sold it ! .

Nothing wrong with a 16 g & any one who tells you different should avoid flatulence in case they blow their teeth out ! . Go for it but just make sure you buy your amo in bulk .

Good Luck :good:

Edited by Pole Star

The very first shotgun I ever owned was a SxS 16 Bore back in the mid 60s but I have not shot one since - That was back in the days when you could go to the Post Office and but a Gun Licence for 10 shilling each year! Mine was an old hammer gun made by Robert S Garden of London. Being only 14 years old at the time and quite small for my age it suited me fine as it was light to carry and had very little recoil. It was used for rabbits, pigeons, pheasant and whatever else got up in front of me that could go towards the pot, and it did the job quite well. Unfortunately my father sold it when I joined the army without telling me which I was furious about!

I would love to have another 16 bore, they are a much under rated gun in my opinion.

The guy who got me started shooting had a Holland Dominion 16 bore that I always thought was a fabulous looking gun. he eventually sold it and ended up using a Merkel 12 bore sidelock OU, which is also very nice, but I have a soft spot for that old Dominion.

L08690-52-lr-1.jpg.thumb.385.385.png

My gunsmith swears by his 16g and I believe the owner of my local shoot school also shoots one.

My smith reckons it's the finest gauge by far and there's no logical reason for it not being more popular - other than the price of shells. You either have to be fairly wealthy or into reloading.

I have been offered 1000 cartridges for for £200 so will give the gun a good chance to impress.

I had 410's growing up, this has a walnut stock that has been added to (about 1") in walnut....must have cost more than the gun to get it done.

You have convinced me gents....thanks for advice.

I have been offered 1000 cartridges for for £200 so will give the gun a good chance to impress.

I had 410's growing up, this has a walnut stock that has been added to (about 1") in walnut....must have cost more than the gun to get it done.

You have convinced me gents....thanks for advice.

When you get one mate let us all know how you get on with it ? & tell us what the ammo is like ? . I use to use Hull Cartridges co ammo & I found them good all rounders in No6 shot , maybe some one can tell us if they are still available ?.

Take a look at the auction rooms if you can & you might just come on a barging & it dose happen , incidentally I do know some very high quality British guns in 16bore were bought up at a knock down price because they just fell from favor & the 20bore became the new must have so the 16bores were rebarrelled in 20bore & sold on . Crafty move ! Now before the usual empty heads say I am talking bull I know one of the chaps who use to do it . :)

Edited by Pole Star

I have two, although one has to go at the start of next season to make room in cabinet :no:

A really good calibre and nice light guns too. Perfect for driven or walked up game.

For me, cartridges are the cheapest part of the sport and the most important, does it matter that much if its 18 or 26 pence per bang when you have spent a fair amount of money on a days shooting?

Havent used it on pigeons but thats because I prefer my 12 bore semi automatic.

Great calibre and wouldnt be without mine!

I've just bought a 16g drilling and it seems that ammunition isn't as badly priced as I had thought. I think from memory it's about £50/1000 more expensive, so unless you're putting loads down it I can't see the issue?

I haven't shot the gun yet so this thread is quite interesting for me. The way I see it though you can get 25-30g cartridges for it so it should be useful for everything the 12g is apart from heavy wildfowling.

I've just bought a 16g drilling and it seems that ammunition isn't as badly priced as I had thought. I think from memory it's about £50/1000 more expensive, so unless you're putting loads down it I can't see the issue?

I haven't shot the gun yet so this thread is quite interesting for me. The way I see it though you can get 25-30g cartridges for it so it should be useful for everything the 12g is apart from heavy wildfowling.

Whats the plan for the rifle barrel end of it ? I always wanted one of those . I remember a debate about Drillings in the shooting times years ago & some empty head wrote in the letters page & described them as mere pot hunters guns , what a goon ! I thought most of shooting was about putting meat on the table ? .

Thing is about Drillings is they are almost always in 16bore . ps what caliber is the rifle barrel ? .

pps If anyone is ever in Munich take a trip to the Hunting & Fishing Museum it has a great collection of guns & lots of Drillings in their various barrel configurations a definite must & a good time to see it is during the octoberfest if you like beer as well ! . :rolleyes:

Edited by Pole Star

My first gun was a 16 as a 14 year old it was a Manton s/b/s . Got my cartridges from Stensbys in withy grove served by old man stensby.Choice was grand prix 14/3 old money.A few years later maximum 16 bore came out they only lasted a year or 2 .A local farmer used a 16 to shoot foxes bolted by dogs. Dipper.

I still use my 16 robust sbs in the hide from time to time, class little gun. just as good as the 12 for pigeons.

+ 1 I cant understand why the 16 g fell from favor & I am amazed at how many people sneer at them when they have never even tried one , I plan to get a good one before I kick the bucket . :yes:

Many happy hours shooting pigeons with an AYA no3 16g with prince of wales stock which my Dad bought from new in Petersfield.

I wish I had bought if from him. Although a non-ejector it was a superb gun. I would either punch the pigeons out of the sky, or miss them altogether.

My grandad shoots a beautiful old hammer 16 bore he's had it since he was 21 and he's 80 odds now its not worth anything but I love the odd times he will give me a shot of it, he has shot all sorts with it some not so legal nowadays, I always remember him telling a BTO guy the best deterrent for hawks in the old days was this as he patted the old gun, shells are quite expensive but not crippllingly so. Just means more having to make every shell count :)

I have justed purchased a 16 bore AYA side by side, a friends father passed away and it was in his cabinet, it is in first class condition and when i seen it i had to have it :) ... have sent my licence of to have it added to it, cant wait to use it !!!

Read on here about emailing AYA to find out the year the gun was made and what the fixed chokes are, i will stick up a few pics of it when i get it :good:

Whats the plan for the rifle barrel end of it ? I always wanted one of those . I remember a debate about Drillings in the shooting times years ago & some empty head wrote in the letters page & described them as mere pot hunters guns , what a goon ! I thought most of shooting was about putting meat on the table ? .

Thing is about Drillings is they are almost always in 16bore . ps what caliber is the rifle barrel ? .

pps If anyone is ever in Munich take a trip to the Hunting & Fishing Museum it has a great collection of guns & lots of Drillings in their various barrel configurations a definite must & a good time to see it is during the octoberfest if you like beer as well ! . :rolleyes:

A pot hunters gun? Well that's me I guess. That and a pest controller who needs a gun for every task, and a combi or drilling does the trick nicely.

Plan for the rifle barrel is to first work out the chambering with a cerrosafe cast. It's near 100 years old and I'm not sure ammunition is available any more? Hey ho, it's nitro proofed so I can always make it myself from another case and cast bullets if needs must. Once that's done I'll be out shooting roe and munties with it. I've shot more deer with my combi gun than all the other rifles I own or have owned put together. I'm expecting this new drilling to overtake it in time.

Keen deer shooters will say that as there's no second shot option it's limited for cull work. But I don't do cull work - I'm too fat and lazy to drag more than one deer out of the valley at a time! :lol:

Edited by njc110381