What you do for a living

dob

carpenter and joiner and wood carver and dogsbody in hm dockyard working for one of the biggest arms manufacturers in the world who pay cr :mad:p wages considering the levels of skills required and wont even let me shoot the ferals off the big grey war canoes :shoot: ............. or use decoys in the admirals garden :no: ........no senses of humour some people!! :|

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nobody in the banking world gets "unemployed" like they do in the rest of the world.

Big fat redundancy payment and tax free I bet :yes:

The trick is getting back on the horse as you get older, if not your have to make the last redundancy package last a long old time.

Only the first £30k is tax free. I was quite fortunate as I had my resignation letter in my pocket when HR gave me my 'at risk' letter. Now on gardening leave until I start my new job in August. Sorted.

Only the first £30k is tax free. I was quite fortunate as I had my resignation letter in my pocket when HR gave me my 'at risk' letter. Now on gardening leave until I start my new job in August. Sorted.

You must be back in blighty then - I assumed a better tax dodge if you were still full time abroad.

When I drive down here to Greece I'm always envious of the Brit truckers going down to Turkey and beyond each trip must be an adventure and they see so much more from the high cab. It's not just a job it's a profession .

Yeah we get to see a lot of nice motorways!!

I'm a burner in a heavy foundry (we do still make steel here in Sheffield!!)...

I remove the excess from jobs like these using a HiLo Oxy Propance cutter and Oxy lance..

IMG_0883.jpg

It looks a mess as the sand hasn't been removed..

In this pic we're pouring around 580 tonnes of molten steel in to a sand mould.(3 standing ladles, 2 hanging and one top up)..

abigun4.jpg

Some finished jobs ready for delivery to the customer..

IMG_0524.jpg

abiggun4.jpg

abigun3.jpg

abiggun3.jpg

I'm cleaning out the nozzles of a 90tonne ladle in this pic with an Oxy lance..

Mee-1_zps2af388a7.jpg

From left to Right..

Me

Jimmy upfront

Jabba

The Chaplain

Coddo

thegang.jpg

John :)

well in john that place looks like it could be hell in the summer with all that heat

evo- it's worse in winter!!

When we come off a job, we can literally be wet through with sweat and we have to put a coat on as the windchill makes you start shivvering like carzy!!- in summer we can roll the ovvies down as the weather is much warmer!!

We have loads of shirts though and swap them for dry ones when we get sweaty..

a few more pics..

My mart Jabba, we're getting ready to take the other two lads off on a large (9'6") cut, the job is too heavy for the two cranes to lift out so it's burnt in the pit..

The craneage capacity combined is only 500 tonnes..

GodofHellfire.jpg

Another pic of when all four of us are on together, opening bores up to save on machining costs, we do a half hour on and then a half hour off..

DSC_0522.jpg

a bit farther away..

DSC_0330.jpg

A job coming back from initial machining..

IMG_1122.jpg

I'm a burner in a heavy foundry (we do still make steel here in Sheffield!!)...

I remove the excess from jobs like these using a HiLo Oxy Propance cutter and Oxy lance..

IMG_0883.jpg

It looks a mess as the sand hasn't been removed..

In this pic we're pouring around 580 tonnes of molten steel in to a sand mould.(3 standing ladles, 2 hanging and one top up)..

abigun4.jpg

Some finished jobs ready for delivery to the customer..

IMG_0524.jpg

abiggun4.jpg

abigun3.jpg

abiggun3.jpg

I'm cleaning out the nozzles of a 90tonne ladle in this pic with an Oxy lance..

Mee-1_zps2af388a7.jpg

From left to Right..

Me

Jimmy upfront

Jabba

The Chaplain

Coddo

thegang.jpg

Nice

I got a visit to the Corus Steel works in Scunny many years ago as part of a course I was doing. It was a fantastic day out so we got to see everything from the coke ovens discharging, to the steel being milled etc.

The best bit though was when we got to see them operating the crucible and using the lance. We were behind a plexiglass screen about 4 inches thick but when they rotated it to remove the slaaaaaaaag you practically got a tan from the heat. It was like looking at the sun.. seriously impressive stuff.

I want to put picks up but I'm not aloud! I wish I could show you all some choppers and jet parts etc but il end up in the dock being accused of being a spy haha

John,

When I done my welding when I was a teen in ford dagenham (not for fords, we fabricated machines, steel work etc for them) I used to hear story's of the old foundry like that. looks likes MANS WORK, you have to chew Tabaco and have a mountain man beard.

• 4 weeks later...