went to church today

unapalomablanca

I decided to go to a church service today, apart from christenings and weddings and the odd Christmas service, I have never really gone. I went to a c of e school as a kid and had plenty of church visits but never really got into it, although I respected it. Anyway, I went today to an ecumenical service, it was a bit of this and a bit of that with a communion thrown in, and I have to say I enjoyed it, people have their reasons for going and I think mine is to try and get a faith and find more inner strength. The people there were great, and the minister made a point of introducing me to everyone and a bbq was served afterwards. I will definitely go again, I might go round to different churches and just get an idea of what I like.

regards. una.

p.s After just the one visit, I think I 'get' the point of it.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I decided to go to a church service today, apart from christenings and weddings and the odd Christmas service, I have never really gone. I went to a c of e school as a kid and had plenty of church visits but never really got into it, although I respected it. Anyway, I went today to an ecumenical service, it was a bit of this and a bit of that with a communion thrown in, and I have to say I enjoyed it, people have their reasons for going and I think mine is to try and get a faith and find more inner strength. The people there were great, and the minister made a point of introducing me to everyone and a bbq was served afterwards. I will definitely go again, I might go round to different churches and just get an idea of what I like.

regards. una.

p.s After just the one visit, I think I 'get' the point of it.

dont forget Mosques, Sikh temples, Buddhist temples, Jewish synagogues, Hindu temples, that Scientology , Shinto temples etc one of them might be right? but which one? ???? ???? ???? ???? ???? ???? ????

i'm different,as i've got faith in god but not really into religion.i say my prayers and talk to/thank god a few times a day,i don't believe you need to go to a special building once or twice a week to be close/thank god.i'm not against folk that are regular attenders,but i do think its more of a social thing for them,more than a spritual one.i also believe most of the religions all stem from the same original story,but like chinese whispers they've got distorted through the ages,resulting in different beliefs.

i also believe most of the religions all stem from the same original story,but like chinese whispers they've got distorted through the ages,resulting in different beliefs.

I agree with you. It is the same events but told from different prespectives.

Christianity is told through jesus' disciples and idolise jesus.

Judaism came from their prophets. they idolise moses

Islam came from their prophets. They idolise the prophet muhammad.

All 3 tell the same events, even share majority of the same prophets. Just have been interpreted slightly different.

Ask if any of your local churches are running a "Christianity explored" course, it runs over 7 weeks and is very interesting. It brings up some very interesting discussions, and may help you decide if its something you would like to take further

Jay

i'm different,as i've got faith in god but not really into religion.i say my prayers and talk to/thank god a few times a day,i don't believe you need to go to a special building once or twice a week to be close/thank god.i'm not against folk that are regular attenders,but i do think its more of a social thing for them,more than a spritual one.i also believe most of the religions all stem from the same original story,but like chinese whispers they've got distorted through the ages,resulting in different beliefs.

Thats very well said, every one of them has some sort of common ground, and every person is entitled to his or her own beliefs as long as its not hurting anyone.I go to Mass regularly because its what I want to do, but I know people that don't attend any form of church or service but in my option would be more religious than me. So no you don't need a place or building just yourself...

I admire church architecture, and the craftsmen who built them, and they're a great place for bats. But nothing beyond that. If God appears to me when I'm outside, on my own, away from church and ritual and liturgy and all the other man-made religous trappings and the controlled group delusion of worship, and says, Here I am, I do exist, I'll accept it absolutely. Until then, best wishes to anyone who finds comfort in faith, but I've tried church and prayers and all I got back was a big fat silence.