How long does a shotgun 'last'

SO3isme

Was watching Fieldsportstv and Mark Gilchrist (I think) said something to the effect ' guns only last 20000 shots but these ear defenders will last a lifetime'. Surely this can't be true? Then it got me thinking - are as many shotguns being broken up and scrapped as new ones enter the market? or is there an ever increasing number of shotguns in circulation?

I'd certainly be pretty upset if I bought a new gun and then had to throw it away because it was worn out after 20000 shells - even if it took me 20 years.

The majority of shotguns made will last in excess of 20,000 shots, I own a few.

Undoubtedly, quite a few shotguns get scrapped "early" for various reasons, some for needing uneconomical repairs.

As a lot of gun owners have more than one gun , I don't think every gun purchased replaces one thats been taken out of circulation.

I have one thats over 200 years old .... and still shooting (muzzle loader of course)

I know of someone who shot over 10,000 cartridges a year, and had a shooting 'life' of over 60 years. He used his late Fathers guns (made for him in the 1920s) most of his shooting life, and they must have shot several hundreds of thousands of cartridges. They were well looked after, but the bluing was quite worn away where his left hand went and most of the chequering was worn nearly smooth. I know he had never had a new spring or firing pin, but I can't be sure on joint pins. Barrels were original.

I reckon I have put over 30,000 through my Beretta and its never had any parts replaced and is still perfectly tight.

Surely maintaining them will prolong the life of a shotgun? Like cleaning oiling etc...

As for the statement. It has to be wrong. I know guns that have had way more than that through them and are going strong.

I shoot 1,500-2,000 carts through mine each month. Mine wont be lasting long at that rate...

The chap that taught me to shoot reckoned that he'd fired 250,000 cartridges down his Beretta 682. It felt nice and smooth to open but by no means loose.

I've often wondered how shotguns end up going out of proof? I assume it's down to corrosion being removed rather than the wad wearing away the barrel? If you let a barrel go rusty and then clean it a few times you'll soon pull enough material off of it to mess it up.

My current favourite is a Dickson Round Action built in 1889 and No1 of a pair, still has original damascus barrels and the stock is immaculate. As to the stock being the original I have no way of knowing but it looks in such good condition it must have at least been refurbished at some time. Next in line a W.R.Pape boxlock ejector with sleeved barresl which will hit its century next year. Not to mention an Army and Navy hammer gun "K Quality" which could stand for keeper, in fact bought from a gamekeeper around 1960 and seen plenty of usage in its lifetime.

Blackpowder

any decent quality shotgun will outlast the owner as long as it is treated with respect and looked after as they should be.as most modern guns can have any part replaced cheaper than buying a new gun.rust is probably the biggest enemy of any gun so just clean them and you will have a friend for life.

Well, I think the above replies are pretty conclusive, although I didn't have any doubt. I just checked the item again on Fieldsportstv and he actually does say ' The average gun will only last 20,000 shots'. I think he may be supporting his ear defender sponsor a little more than necessary. Lets assume he knows more about cooking than guns.

Gilchrist is wrong!,and by a long way.! <_<

I cant tell you how many shots, a shotgun can fire before its worn out,but I bought a rizzini years ago,and put more than 20,000 through that,and it was as good as the day I bought it when it was sold,it never had any thing go wrong with it either!

I used to clean it every time i used it, but,it never had a service,it never even had the action open.

That was what I would call, a cheap entry level gun,and not of the same quality as a basic Browning / Beretta.

Arnt Browning guaranteeing there new A5 for 100,000 shots ?

I dont hold much store by that, as I dont know how you would prove the gun had shot less,or they would prove it had shot more,

but the general idea is, it should be good for that amount of use trouble free,

they are not saying that 100.000 and its ****ed!! :lol:

20,000 numpty! One of our Olympic skeet shooters shoots 40k carts a year in practice and comps new gun every 6 months.......

Yes but that's because the sponsor will take it back and re sell it as virually new. So the loan of the gun costs the sponsor almost nothing. The person who buys it has no idea and no reason to worry. Its still a good gun.

Edited by Vince Green