Sloe bumper harvest !!

Jega

A few years ago was better up round here. Some big sloes about but not in large quantities.

Got to make the most of it when Mother Nature blesses us with a bumper crop.

Figgy

you sure their not bullaces? I think they make better Gin any way. little less tart on the gob.

the sloes here are very small this year but big quantities on the bushes. shame the damsons didnt come good as its my favorite.

Bumper sloe harvest around here (Leicestershire) and went over to Lincolnshire 2 weeks ago and they bushes were literally overloaded. I picked some really nice ones.

I have a small damson tree in my garden and it's done me proud this year. Damson vodka is better than the sloe vodka at the moment. So smooth!

I've made loads of sloe gin and vodka as continuous "quality control" tends to leave very little for general consumption. :blush:

I did think that Mail Order Sloes could be the way forward. I assumed everyone had bumper crops but realised there could be a gap in the market.

Happy brewing....

went back to have another look at the sloes this morning , these are so tart i cant believe and small too.

is there another bush/tree that looks just like them with the same fruit but smaller , i,ve picked them before from different places and swear they are sloes but now i,m wondering if i,ve got the right species :rolleyes:

someone post a few pics please :good:

went back to have another look at the sloes this morning , these are so tart i cant believe and small too.

is there another bush/tree that looks just like them with the same fruit but smaller , i,ve picked them before from different places and swear they are sloes but now i,m wondering if i,ve got the right species :rolleyes:

sloes are very tart m8,,,, when you bite in to one they make your mouth dry.... dont worry about this tartness, this is why you add the sugar to balance it out. get them in the gin. mug of sugar over the top and wait... it will taste amazing in weeks....

darren, take a look at this website here >>>>; http://www.sloe.biz/pip/

Has lots of useful info on sloes and more importantly, some good recipes

They are very "tart" Darren, it is the sugar put into sloe gin that gives it that almost syrupy, smooth quality.

As well as sloes there are a number of similar looking fruits, the true sloe comes from the blackthorn bush and are maybe 10 to 15mm in diameter. Bigger fruits are probably another species and I've used them to good effect before.

You will often find a whitish tinge on the fruit which is predominantly dark purple. Some interesting observations on when they are ready to pick, it is suggested that the change in climate means they become ripe before we see frosts, I have to say that mine were ready to pick a couple of weeks back, nice and soft and some just starting to split.

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/x/sloe-15514936.jpg

Comment from another source: "The sloes are nearly spherical and grow close to the branch. A raw sloe is a particularly disgusting beast – it’s sharp and astringent. It will make your tongue shrivel and your teeth squeak".

Edited by old rooster

They are very "tart" Darren, it is the sugar put into sloe gin that gives it that almost syrupy, smooth quality.

As well as sloes there are a number of similar looking fruits, the true sloe comes from the blackthorn bush and are maybe 10 to 15mm in diameter. Bigger fruits are probably another species and I've used them to good effect before.

You will often find a whitish tinge on the fruit which is predominantly dark purple. Some interesting observations on when they are ready to pick, it is suggested that the change in climate means they become ripe before we see frosts, I have to say that mine were ready to pick a couple of weeks back, nice and soft and some just starting to split.

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/x/sloe-15514936.jpg

Comment from another source: "The sloes are nearly spherical and grow close to the branch. A raw sloe is a particularly disgusting beast – it’s sharp and astringent. It will make your tongue shrivel and your teeth squeak".

I have noticed this as well. I was always raised with the "best wait for the first frost" school of thought, but was out nearly three weeks ago and harvested 12lbs in just under 2 hours of picking. The only reason I stopped was because it was starting to get awfully expensive with the amount of whisky and gin required... :oops: