Best hunting 22lr ???

Scottoj18

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a CZ 452 cant go wrong with it. i have had from new (10 years old now and thousands of rounds later) and never had any issues with it. if you buy a CZ you may want to get a trigger kit, these are easy to fit. The triggers tend to be on the hevey side. this will transform the rifle from good to excellent. You can then spend the money you save buying a CZ on a better optic. hope this help

I'm looking at getting my first 22lr and have looked at a few but I'm finding it hard to pick hw60j .. Cz455 .. I'm stuck .. Iv a max of £700 to spend on gun and mod. I could do with sum help please

I picked up a second hand (trade) unblemished and virtually unshot Anschutz 17 HMR for that very sum so you're in the ball-park financially for the best provided you can find one.

I'm finding it really hard. Iv searched for "best 22lr rifle" and the 10/22 comes out top. Not something in interested in. But how can't there be a stand out rifle ?

Because personal preference gets in the way (as you've demonstrated in your quote above). You'll have people who swear by their rifles but the next person you speak to could own the same model and not get on with it at all.

Your money will sit in the account and eventually become worthless if you keep searching around for the holy grail, I think you just need to get out there and shoot a few different ones to get the feel for what works for you.

If you belong to a club just ask nicely if you can have a few shots with different rifles and see how they fit and feel when you cock and fire.

Advice from forums is good for a bit of ground research but nothing will replace you getting out to the gunshops and finding something that feels great in your hands.

It's exciting and you should have fun looking, don't devolve the purchasing power to someone on a forum :good:

Edited by Therealchucknorris

I'm finding it really hard. Iv searched for "best 22lr rifle" and the 10/22 comes out top. Not something in interested in. But how can't there be a stand out rifle ?

This is probably something to do with the fact that it's one of the best selling worldwide. I had one a long time ago and there isn't much wrong with them but I still prefer a bolt action. CZ, Ruger, Anschutz, Savage........... it boils down to what suits you as they are all as good as each other, some are nicer and better built, but accuracy wise there isn't a lot in it.

Sako finfire quality 22 plus you will not lose any money when you sell it

Wondered when some one would come up with the correct answer :yes: Seriously lovely rifles and like you say you won't lose any money if you come to sell it. Best 22lr ever produced IMO. Mines a keeper :good:

ATB,

Pat

If you like the HW60 then buy one. I've not heard any bad reports on them, more good ones in fact.

I always suggest that folk get a CZ452 - it's what I've got and it shoots very well. On a budget I think that's one of the best you can do. The HW will cost more but if you like it and can afford it, go for it. One tip though - don't skimp on the scope to get a better gun. You need to allow at least £200 in my opinion to get something on the used market.

Over the years I have had quite a few rimmies, and it's all about what you want the gun to do, plus that 'pride of ownership' bit.

The most accurate was a Sako finfire, and Sako must have been bonkers to discontinue making this rifle. A friend has it now and he regularly shoots over 500 rabbits a year with it at silly ranges.

I've had a couple of CZ's, and they do what it says on the box. A little crude (certainly the standard trigger), but as a rabbit basher they do the job.

I was daft enough to buy two Ruger 10/22. The first was a standard out-of-the-box model, and it drove me nuts with persistent jams from the magazine and truly lousy trigger. The 2nd one had the full works, with a fancy barrel and modded trigger and still it jammed with hollowpoint ammo, even when cleaning the magazines to operating theatre cleanliness levels. Please see the extensive websites offering upgrades for this rifle - this say it all... No semi-auto ever will be as accurate as a bolt action, in spite of what some may say.

A very nice Krico bolt action with Mannlicher stock. Beautiful gun to shoot, and accurate. I was stupid enough to sell it.

For the past few years I have had a pair of Anschutz thumbhole stocked guns (.22 and hmr). These are beautiful to handle with the best two-stage triggers I have come across (I did upgrade the trigger on the hmr to the same two-stage trigger on the .22). They are fairly light in weight, but they do the job in exceptional style and ease of operation. More accurate than I can shoot.

As others have said - try as many as you can to help make your mind up. Whatever you get buy the best scope that you can, or else all your efforts will not be to your satisfaction.

No .22 lr from the guns mentioned is inherently more accurate. I like the CZ and if I had a £700 budget I should be thinking more about the scope than the moderator. Good ammo, good maintenance and lots of practice and familiarisation is what makes a great .22 not the brand. Don't forget magazines as regards availability and cost, finding a mag for some guns is like finding teeth in a hen and can also prove very costly

or the record I use a CZ452 varmint with the short barrel and old crudded up and seized up Parker hale moderator with a 6x42 S+Bender. The stock has been altered in the grip area to fit my hand (large colts foot extension to the length and a deep thumb muscle shaped out) groove and an adjustable butt pad fitted / adjusted to my requirements of fit. The point I am making is it suits me perfectly and your gun should suit you

I have a CZ455 in the laminate thumbhole stock and dont like it (personally)

nothing wrong with it Im sure, I find the cheek piece to be very flat along the top so my cheek tends to roll over.

In retrospect Im kicking meself over how much I paid for it new rather than a s/h CZ452 or Ruger 10/22